Author Topic: 3-D printed firearm fired for the first time.  (Read 6330 times)

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
3-D printed firearm fired for the first time.
« on: May 06, 2013, 10:10:55 pm »
http://www.uproxx.com/gammasquad/2013/05/3d-printed-gun-the-liberator-cody-wilson-defense-distributed/

That's right, ladies and gents, for the first time, a 3D printed gun was successfully fired, and the specs have been distributed online.

Personally, I'm not keen on the idea of firearms being able to be printed out. There needs to be minimum standards on firearms manufacturing (if it were up to me, every last Jiminez or Bryco-Jennings would be melted down as scrap. Even now, I will never allow a Bryco-Jennings anywhere near my home. But that's another discussion) to prevent things like accidental discharges (look up the Powderbox pistol for an example), or something as nasty as the thing exploding in your hand.

I would rather that items in otherwise low supply be printed out for use by those who need them. This can have a huge impact in third-world countries that wouldn't otherwise be able to afford certain items that a 3D printer can provide.

Right. I know full well the kerfuffle that is coming in the form of a firearms debate, so I'm just gonna cozy up in the bunker and watch the carnage unfold.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
Re: 3-D printed firearm fired for the first time.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 11:36:51 pm »
Right. I know full well the kerfuffle that is coming in the form of a firearms debate, so I'm just gonna cozy up in the bunker and watch the carnage unfold.

I gots the popcorn

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 11:59:13 pm »
And I have the Dew, Empress. It, and several other beverages of choice, are in the large fridge. If I ever build a dream home, I want it to be like the Vault =D.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 12:07:51 am »
Well, you see, children. Guns are bad, mkay.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 04:19:31 am »
The idea of 3D printers making workable guns is pretty scary. Although the achievement of the 3D printers is impressive.

I am just worried about this from a crime point of view. If this process is cheaper than normal guns, it could lead to a massive increase in completely off the grid firearms into the black markets. Sure they wont be as good as properly manufactured guns, but for crime, they will probably be more than enough.

It is worrying.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 07:40:40 am »
True, if you work in a service station you won't be thinking about the quality of the gun pointed in your face. Just about the fact that it could kill you!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 07:47:52 am »
So how long before a 3D printer manages to print a second fully functional 3D printer?

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 09:43:37 am »
So how long before a 3D printer manages to print a second fully functional 3D printer?
Very soon. They're already working on it. There's one that can already print over half of its own parts.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 09:48:34 am »
Very soon. They're already working on it. There's one that can already print over half of its own parts.
Snazzy.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 06:27:15 pm »
My roomie's beaten everybody to it.  He's crafted the parts for two others already.  Made a nice chunk of cash for it, too.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 06:44:55 pm »
Vddy of Cody Wilson firing it cracks me up. Demonstrating proper firing form is great, but is he always so intense and dramatic? Like, his shit don't stink, it smells of victory?
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Sour Grapes

• Bishop
  • Brutally honest.
    • Ask Sour Grapes
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 04:55:24 am »
I find it somewhat interesting that they named it after a cheap stamped out gun that the US Government sent to the French Resistance during one of the world wars.

Distind

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 06:09:17 am »
Any figures on how long it actually holds up from shooting? I can't imagine it's all that long.

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 08:09:14 am »
I remember hearing somewhere that you only got one shot with it. Still, one shot is more dangerous than no shots.

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Distind

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 08:55:29 am »
It is, but it's a one shot short barreled pistol made out of plastic and looks to be rather bulky to me. It's probably the least concerning gun I've ever seen, despite being entirely possible to make at home. Though an absolute nightmare for police or anyone attempting to track the use of them as they're utterly disposable. I'm probably going light on this because you could plaster a cartoon character on the side and it'd almost exactly match an old item from shadowrun.

Have to say it makes a pretty solid argument for my ammo sales requiring a gun license for the caliber.