Author Topic: Orson Scott Card requests tolerance for his intolerance  (Read 4884 times)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Orson Scott Card requests tolerance for his intolerance
« on: July 10, 2013, 04:46:09 pm »
Link

There's a Ender's Game film coming out soon and there is talk of boycott because of his views on the gay thing. So he's admitting defeat and asking people to be nice so he doesn't lose out on the precious benjamins.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: Orson Scott Card requests tolerance for his intolerance
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 04:52:57 pm »
Wasn't gonna see it in the first place. I've never read Ender's Game.

If I do, I'll probably pirate both of them. Because denying money to douchebags makes my berries tingle.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 05:09:48 pm »
ON THAT NOTE!  Here's the Nostalgia Chick on why she won't be boycotting this movie and why you shouldn't either.

http://chezapocalypse.com/why-i-wont-boycott-enders-game/

Ironbite-I found it very....agreeable.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 05:46:23 pm »
ON THAT NOTE!  Here's the Nostalgia Chick on why she won't be boycotting this movie and why you shouldn't either.

She raises good points.

I'll probably watch Ender's Game, because I loved the book even if I hate the author.

Also:

Quote from: Orson Scott Card
Ender’s Game is set more than a century in the future and has nothing to do with political issues that did not exist when the book was written in 1984.

Yes, I'm sure gay people just appeared out of thin air in the nineties. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_same-sex_marriage#1970s
Σא

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 06:10:36 pm »
I'm not boycotting the film, rather skipping it because:

• I've never read that book, and I probably would be unable to without hating myself.
  • I had, however, seen the trailer for the film. It looks trashy. I mean there is an extravagant overuse of the blue and orange contrast, making the movie look worse.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 06:42:22 pm »
I'm gay and I won't boycott the movie, I'll just wait to watch it on Netflix. He's a decent writer, but a flawed person. So am I. Boycotting his books and movie won't affect the HRC, LAMBDA Legal, SPLC, the ACLU, etc. as far as the LGBTQ rights movement goes. It is a social attitude evolution thing, mostly occurring under it's own momentum now, and has been for quite a while. Maybe Card will evolve in his thinking someday before he passes on, which won't be terribly long from now. Not much point in riling up over an old man like that. And as Nostalgia Chick deftly pointed out, it will hurt innocent movie industry people, and I would add, makes pro human rights activists look like harpies and schills. Card is no friend to LGBTQs, but he is a far less virulent or dangerous enemy than the average mega church bigot shouting for our blood in hell from the pulpit.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 07:00:59 pm »
I've never read Ender's Game, and thus I have absolutely no interest in the movie.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 09:34:34 pm »
It seems interesting, but I'd probably...ehm, acquire it rather than watch it in a theatre.  Ender's Game itself was actually pretty good.  Everything AFTER, however, was pretty much garbage that read more like a long-winded Chick tract than anything resembling a half-decent narrative.

No, I'm -still- not over that page-and-a-half or so speech Ender's mom gave in Ender's Shadow about how babies are the only way to happiness.  Fuck you in the throat with a salted cactus, Mrs. Wiggin.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 11:53:26 pm »
I've only read Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead. Everything I've heard about the rest of the series has made me less than enthusiastic to go on. Still, I'll probably get around to reading them eventually, because I have a strong dislike of leaving book series unfinished.
Σא

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 01:24:40 am »

Yeah, she has a point. Or several.

If they make movies about his other books as well I wonder how much liberties they will take? I would assume that they will fade out or rewrite much of the offensive stuff simply because it wouldn't be a profitable movie if they offend most of the potential viewers.

And knowing that Hollywood movies sometimes have almost nothing to do with the original book/concept it's not out of their style and would be one of the better examples of reimagining a story for the movie adaptation.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 03:37:59 pm »
The issue is often now that you know what an awful whitey he is his books lose their magic.  Like you learn how extreme a pro lifer he is and then go try to reread Shadow Puppets

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 02:36:35 pm »
I really like a lot of Card's books, not just the Ender series. I read a lot of his stuff before I found out about his politics, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying his work.

I love Ender's Game. Speaker for the Dead was pretty good, but not as good as EG. Xenocide was OK. I like how he portrayed the planet full of people with OCD, but the rest of the book was so-so. Children of the Mind was so bad that I have never been able to finish it, even after trying several times. Ender's Shadow wasn't very good, either. I think I managed to finish it, but won't read it again, or any of the books that follow it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 05:32:37 pm by erictheblue »
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline Crystal-King

• Neonate
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 01:17:07 am »
John Seavey over at Mighty God King sumed up my thoughts for me.

http://mightygodking.com/2013/07/13/an-open-letter-to-orson-scott-card/

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 04:33:46 pm »
John Seavey over at Mighty God King sumed up my thoughts for me.

http://mightygodking.com/2013/07/13/an-open-letter-to-orson-scott-card/

I generally agree, except that I do plan to see the movie. Because I don't recall Ender's Game promoting any beliefs I find problematic.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Diamandahagan

• Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 11:42:38 am »
I wont be paying money to see Enders game. Card makes money on the profits and he'll likely give some of that to groups that help make people like me dead.