Author Topic: Who Shot MLK?  (Read 12242 times)

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
Who Shot MLK?
« on: August 27, 2013, 07:29:54 am »
Well, this certainly is interesting. Addicting Info points out that a lot of stuff doesn't add up. Not JFK-thin, but thicker than the RNC.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
Re: Who Shot MLK?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 02:39:35 pm »
Conspiracy theories about the MLK assassination are very common. I know people who think the FBI did it. Frankly, if the FBI wanted MLK out of the way, they wouldn't have had to kill him; they could have just leaked information to the press about his adulterous affairs.

There's a couple points in the article that are somewhat weak, though:

1. Eyewitness accounts are notoriously unreliable, and it's not unusual for multiple people at the scene of a crime to have conflicting accounts. If the detectives dismissed these other eyewitness accounts that said they heard the gunshot from the bushes (which would be an easy mistake to make), it's probably because forensics showed the shooting did not happen at that location.

2. The fact that James Earl Ray managed to flee police by going to different countries is irrelevant. It's like a creationist trying to point out how fascinating it is that the "random, chaotic universe" just so happened to create a universe with all the planets aligned, a universe capable of sustaining life, etc.

3. James Earl Ray constantly came up with new conspiracy theories about the killing in prison, blaming someone named "Raoul," despite the fact that a polygraph test showed he knew he was MLK's killer. Later, he did identify an auto worker named Raul as the accomplice, but he was cleared. No mention is made of this alternate killer's identity except in the article cited above, where he is identified (without explanation) as Jules Ricco Kimble. Furthermore, Ray himself claimed that part of his motive for pleading guilty was to get into a comfier prison, and people around him denied there was any pressure put on him to confess.

EDIT: And despite the fact that the author of the article claims to have FBI files, he cites conspiracy theorist books. Real good job vetting his resources there.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 02:42:58 pm by Osama bin Bambi »
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 02:44:28 pm »
2. The fact that James Earl Ray managed to flee police by going to different countries is irrelevant. It's like a creationist trying to point out how fascinating it is that the "random, chaotic universe" just so happened to create a universe with all the planets aligned, a universe capable of sustaining life, etc.

Well if that escape required resources and money he was unlikely to have then it does bring up the question of where did he get the money.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 02:46:40 pm »

Well if that escape required resources and money he was unlikely to have then it does bring up the question of where did he get the money.

The question is open-ended and does not directly implicate the FBI, the same way the creationist question does not directly implicate God. If we had access to his financial records then we might get a better idea of where he got the money.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 03:15:13 pm »
I thought the Cigarrete Smoking Man shot him.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 03:49:16 pm »
It was Elvis.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 05:15:46 pm »
No it was the Comedian.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 05:19:05 pm »
It was professor plum with the candlestick in the observatory.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 06:05:20 pm »
The dog did it.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 06:55:53 pm »
Nah, just like JFK, he shot himself to prevent a time paradox.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 07:58:27 pm »

Nah, JFK faked his death because he got too busy fighting zombies back-to-back-badass with Castro that he couldn't be president anymore.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 09:32:23 pm »
Did you just make a Who Shot JFK? Doctor Who book joke?
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 09:36:22 pm »

Red Dwarf, as I recall.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 09:40:34 pm »

Red Dwarf, as I recall.
Ahh. Apparently the British like that plot, because it was the plot to that book. JFK shoots JFK to prevent the end of the world.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 10:18:37 pm »

Red Dwarf, as I recall.
Ahh. Apparently the British like that plot, because it was the plot to that book. JFK shoots JFK to prevent the end of the world.

The Red Dwarf episode, as I recall, had the crew interrupting Oswald, so to get history back on course they had JFK (who by then had been caught in his various affairs and was being hauled off to prison) go back in time to shoot his younger self.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.