Author Topic: Toys R Us drops signs signifying boys and girls toys  (Read 6562 times)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
Toys R Us drops signs signifying boys and girls toys
« on: September 07, 2013, 12:58:39 am »
http://www.toynews-online.biz/news/read/toys-r-us-to-drop-boys-and-girls-labelling/040859

Toys R Us is looking to work closely with the Let Toys Be Toys consumer campaign group, agreeing to become more inclusive in its marketing of toys to girls and boys.

The news follows a meeting last week between TRU's UK board members and Let Toys Be Toys, with the group believing it marks a major change in the UK toy sales landscape.

TRU will draw up a set of principles for in-store signage meaning that, in the long-term, explicit references to gender will be removed and images will show boys and girls enjoying the same toys. TRU also promised to start by looking at the way toys are represented in its upcoming Christmas catalogue.

Coooooool. Though I'm sure some people will definitely have a distinct problem with it.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline LeTipex

• Bishop
  • I'm right, because I accept that I can be wrong.
Re: Toys R Us drops signs signifying boys and girls toys
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 01:16:53 am »
Wow, that's awesome.

I don't think it's going to change things overnight, but as time goes on, this will probably have good repercussions.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 02:14:07 am »
Okedoke.  I never paid much attention to who's 'supposed' to play with what anyway.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 02:34:37 am »
Yay :D  Now if they would only start making the dresses/suits in both sexes

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 09:35:10 am »
Yay :D  Now if they would only start making the dresses/suits in both sexes
Agreed, and this is good, but is it only in the UK?
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 10:18:19 am »
I'm sure it'll help a bit, but considering that ALL of the dolls and other stereotypically "girly" toys tend to be in "the pink aisles," wherein all of the aisle labels themselves are also pink...TRU probably still has a long way to go.

Kudos to them for making that first step, though!
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 03:30:33 pm »
Political correctness carried to the point of drooling insanity.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 03:41:31 pm »

What
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 03:49:34 pm »
Nah. If you don't tell a kid what gender toys are supposed to be for, they don't care. We gave my niece all of my old action figures, which are mainly superheroes, DBZ and WWE. She loves them.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 05:21:12 pm »
As long as adults and kids don't lay shame on children when they play with an "opposite gender" toy, that's what really matters. Getting the toy makers and marketers to tone down the intensity of gender role cues in store aisles and adverts would help even more. My favorite toy maker as a child was Whammo...nothing gender specific, and the toys were good goofy fun, especially for group play. Nerf comes close to that, though an argument about girls playing with a Nerf football and Nerf sponge dart guns might come up in a conservative household....where concerns about foam and plastic toys' roles within a Biblical paradigm must be a fucking hoot to over hear.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 05:37:51 pm »
And yea the Lord did say, "Thou must not playeth with objects that pertaineth not to thine sex.  Verily, Ninja Turtles and He-Mans are for boys only, and Barbies and Easy-bake Ovens, their use is to the girl."

That was in the Bible.  Really.   

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 05:39:41 pm »
As long as adults and kids don't lay shame on children when they play with an "opposite gender" toy, that's what really matters. Getting the toy makers and marketers to tone down the intensity of gender role cues in store aisles and adverts would help even more. My favorite toy maker as a child was Whammo...nothing gender specific, and the toys were good goofy fun, especially for group play. Nerf comes close to that, though an argument about girls playing with a Nerf football and Nerf sponge dart guns might come up in a conservative household....where concerns about foam and plastic toys' roles within a Biblical paradigm must be a fucking hoot to over hear.
My niece loves chasing and playing with bugs outside and playing catch. I agree, if you don't tell them something is for a certain gender, they don't care.

wrightway

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 05:53:47 pm »
Wasn't there a study that included baby chimps to see if our gender preferred toys were cultural or hardwired? I seem to recall the female offspring, chimps included, preferred "nurturing" toys like baby dolls.

This is still a good idea.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 05:55:11 pm »
Wasn't there a study that included baby chimps to see if our gender preferred toys were cultural or hardwired? I seem to recall the female offspring, chimps included, preferred "nurturing" toys like baby dolls.

This is still a good idea.
I'd imagine that this is one of those cases where chimps cannot replace human beings.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 03:56:36 am »

I currently do not comprehend why gender targeted toys are a big deal. I legitimately do not understand why a change in children's play things is being treated like this.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer