Author Topic: Gods of Egypt  (Read 4053 times)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
Gods of Egypt
« on: January 20, 2014, 04:36:05 am »
I don't keep up on Hollywood much. Usually I learn of a movie I'd like to watch well after it's been out on DVD/Blu-Ray (notable exceptions include movies like Star Trek or Pacific Rim).

So I end up learning about a cool new movie coming out in a couple years!

Oh wow that sounds like a mix of God of War, Prince of Persia, and Aladdin. That sounds really cool! Who all is in it? Do I know them?

...Oh.

You can't tell me Gerard Butler just happens to be good for the role. You can't. Let him be Leonidas again. But not motherfucking Set.

This thread doesn't really have a purpose other than me bitching about Gerard Butler apparently being Set.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Yla

• The Beast
Re: Gods of Egypt
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 06:49:55 am »
\bitching about a movie before it's released.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 06:54:02 am »
\bitching about a movie before it's made.

ftfy

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 07:08:11 am »
Did this really need its own thread? Is a potential crappy movie in a couple of years just too important to go in "Things That Annoy You"?

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 05:31:44 pm »
Last sentence. It's right there.

And yes, it did require its own thread in case of the always present possibility of someone wanting to argue with me about it. Saves from having to sanction it off after.

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 05:33:41 pm »
I sure am seeing a lot of white guys playing Egyptian Gods.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 05:37:39 pm »
I sure am seeing a lot of white guys playing Egyptian Gods.

To be fair though, if they existed then they wouldn't be Egyptian either as they wouldn't be of any race or ethnic group, due to the fact they wouldn't be human lol.

And probably not too many major Egyptian acting stars running around Hollywood at the minute.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 05:40:33 pm »
@Magus- Hence my problem.

Not a single black guy is an Egyptian god. And it's not like there aren't any black guys in Hollywood who can act, right? Yes not everyone in Egypt was dark-skinned but Anubis is depicted as having black skin and fur. So... I'm sure if he's involved in the movie, too, he'll probably be Benedict Cumberbatch or something.

@katsuro- I'm not asking for Egyptian. I'm asking for someone who ain't as white as Gerard Butler.

&

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 05:43:02 pm »
It's okay to have an actor of the wrong ethenticity playing a role just as long as he's not white?

Gerard Butler these days is enough to put me off a movie too though.  Not so much because of him as an actor per-se, but more just because he has an unfortunate habbit of appearing in absolute shit.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 05:54:32 pm by Katsuro »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 05:53:19 pm »
How hard would it have been to cast a Middle Easterner?

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 05:55:22 pm »
A middle easterner would still be a different race to an ancient egyptian.

Anyway, we appear to be arguing over the race of an actor playing a being that doesn't even exist and even if it did it wouldn't be a mamber of ANY human racial group.  I feel things are getting a bit silly so I'm going to change the subject to how Butler is probably a bad choice for any role lol.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 05:58:56 pm by Katsuro »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 05:56:05 pm »
A middle easterner would still be a different race to an ancient egyptian.
Okay, then what ethnicity would an Ancient Egyptian have been?  I genuinely don't know.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 05:56:35 pm »
It's okay to have an actor of the wrong ethenticity playing a role just as long as he's not white?

When that ethnicity is much closer to being the right ethnicity than white is?  You betcha.

It's kinda like how the Persians in 300 were the villains, and black...
...but when the main character is a Persian hero, such as in Prince of Persia (games or movie) then the Persians are suddenly white.

Or Johnny Depp being cast as a native American when he's as white as I am.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 05:59:47 pm »
Or Johnny Depp being cast as a native American when he's as white as I am.
If it's any consolation, The Lone Ranger flopped hard.  So did a lot of other movies that performed whitewashing.  Cloud Atlas, The Last Airbender, Forty-Seven Ronin, the list goes on and on.  I think this is a sign that audiences aren't putting up with this anymore.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 06:01:26 pm »
I had someone pose that some question when I said I was a lot more accepting of Ricardo Montalban as Khan than I was Benedict Cumberbatch. The point is it's called whitewashing. Not other-ethnicity washing. By allowing someone who is not-white to have a title role, you are opening the floodgates for others to get those big name roles. The right ethnicity actors will be finding themselves getting a lot more work once the floodgates are open. But at the same time, you'll probably never be able to get all the actors you need for a certain ethnicity role. Unless it's you and a bunch of friends, anyways.

As I mentioned, Cumberbatch as Khan was a disservice. It was ignoring Roddenberry's original philosophy. By having someone who was black, or someone who was Latino, in big roles (Uhura and Khan respectively) you were telling non-white people that yes you can get jobs in Hollywood.

It's about representation. When you constantly put blatantly white people into roles that are not-white, you are sending a message. The opposite message to what I said above.

TL;DR- yes, it's better if it's someone not-white but not quite 'full blooded Egyptian'. At least at this stage. It's not perfect by any means. But it's better than having an all-white cast for non-white characters. (Also arguing about how they don't really exist is kind of a cop-out argument)

And yes, the movie isn't that big of one (even with those really recognizable actor names). But they obviously have the budget for them. If they have the budget for those guys they have the budget to get people who aren't white. It's not hard to find black actors. You can find plenty of them for the bad guy roles but suddenly you can't find any for good guy roles? I find that hard to believe.

&