Author Topic: Britain's bureucratic hell of changing your gender on the papers.  (Read 1971 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/aug/22/experience-birth-certificate-says-woman-is-a-man?CMP=fb_gu

Turns out that changing your gender is pretty difficult in the UK. And I don't mean just for transpeople. Consider the person in the article for example, she had been happily married for 23 years and had given birth to several children before it turned out that according to paperwork she has been a man since birth. Now the archbishop of Cantebury personally wrote to her that the church can no longer recognise her marriage to her husband, their house has been vandalised, people call her and her husband queers and despite fighting to change that one clerical error for 10 years she is still officially a man.

...Also this farce has cost them 150'000£ so far.

Sure, she could have the paperwork changed to show that she has reassigned her gender to female if she shows medical proof that she is a woman but that would still mean that officially she had been a man up until that day...

Way to go Britain.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Britain's bureucratic hell of changing your gender on the papers.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 11:20:50 am »
This is something you'd expect from Germany.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 11:23:42 am »
This is something you'd expect from Germany.

...Why?
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 11:32:15 am »
Because Germany is known for having heavy bureucracy.

I think the difference is that German bureucracy FUNCTIONS even if it is extremely heavy and troublesome. This is just incompetence. There should be a way to have the paperwork fixed rather than just saying "yea, she totally used to be a dude and is now a transgender woman" because that is not what she wants and she would still face all the same problems she has now.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 11:33:05 am »
Because Germany is known for having heavy bureucracy.

Ah, yes, fair enough I suppose.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 09:26:04 am »
That is one good thing about South Africa at least. The Form and process for changing gender for trans-people is basically the same as changing the birth certificate. As such once it goes through it basically means that the person is considered to have been that gender from birth.

Of course part of the problem with it is that it comes with a new ID number so you then have to go and update your details at every single organization you have ever had dealings with. Its a righteous pain the ass, but still easier than Britain it seems.