Author Topic: Petty Prayers  (Read 18494 times)

Offline Hades

• Balsiest Motherfucker Present
  • The Beast
  • This is a ride, not a fight
    • Fruits of Apathy
Re: Petty Prayers
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2012, 03:41:39 pm »
It sounds like a contraction of "good bye" to me.

You have a snail for a face.
22:22 <SugarFreeJazz> the time for hats is now

"I don't know what it is, but nothing makes me hard like the thought of Megan Fox without any skin." - Existentialist Goofy

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2012, 08:48:18 pm »
I'll share my favorite pukey prayer tomorrow, God willing.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2012, 09:41:12 pm »
My church, after we merged with another church, had the most godawful "community prayer" ever that we all had to say at the end of each mass. It had shit like "bless us as we learn to trust each other" (because reminding everyone that we hate merging every single Sunday is totally going to foster trust) and "we vow to protect the sanctity of life" (because having a political message in a prayer is completely logical). It was also about twice as long as a normal prayer and written using the most boring language ever.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2012, 02:05:56 pm »
I reject your reality, & substitute my own.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2012, 06:09:40 pm »
Goddess I remember that prayer. Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I shall die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

There are apparently a load of other versions

I had a pillow with the "Guide me safely through the night, Wake me with the morning light" version on it.

Then in elementary school, I learned the "If I should die before I wake" version and freaked out.

I'm not actually freaked out by that prayer, I actually found it comforting as in, if something should happen to me when I sleep (as it could happen that I could die in my sleep at any age) then I hope the Lord would take me in. Although I don't use it now as I don't really pray except for if I'm going through some tough times.

Edited: Yay for sleep deprivation! I wrote "if something should happen to me when I die" instead of "when I sleep."

Now "Rock a Bye Baby?" That song creeps me the fuck out.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 06:11:23 pm by Radiation »
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2012, 11:10:38 pm »
You've gotta admit that the creepy bedtime prayer was great in "The Sandman" by Metallica.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2012, 04:15:12 am »
There's another song that has a similar sound to that part of the Metallica song.

Fuck if I can remember the name of the song or the band though. It pops up on Pagan Pentagram Radio from time to time and I always forget to snag the information.

Oh, here it is. It may not be as similar as I thought...

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Jack Bauer

• Poetic Badass
  • Pope
  • On Craggy Island, under deep cover.
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2012, 06:13:32 am »
This puts me in mind of the scene in the M*A*S*H movie in which the padre is blessing a jeep.
Part wolf, part pirate.

“Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”   -  Albert Einstein.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2012, 08:57:49 am »
This puts me in mind of the scene in the M*A*S*H movie in which the padre is blessing a jeep.
Well, at least a properly functioning jeep in the middle of a warzone is can be a matter of life and death. I wouldn’t call that a petty concern, even if I don’t believe the blessing to be actually useful.
-A Pen Name

Offline MaybeNever

• Got His Red Wings
  • Pope
  • Possessed of a proclivity for prolixity
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2012, 08:38:08 pm »
I have a client who suffers from frequent compulsions to do various things, so far mundane but in theory they could be dangerous. At the minimum they make it difficult for him to integrate socially, and the long-term potential for causing problems is pretty significant.

His mom's solution is for him to isolate himself and pray whenever they come up, which isn't the worst advice in the world but is possibly the least useful advice ever given. Like most prayer it creates the illusion of doing something without actually doing anything, and as a result I can't really create any kind of appropriate replacement behaviors because she's so wedded to him praying away the problem.

Not exactly a petty prayer, I guess.
"Great Britain's two most senior military officers added to the uneasiness. [...] Lord Wolseley, Adjutant General, thought that it might be possible for an enemy to invade without waiters and pastrycooks."
-Robert K. Massie, Dreadnought

Offline myusername

• Bishop
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2012, 03:14:12 pm »
Any form of praying to win a sports game.  For nobody to get injured, I could understand, but not praying to beat the other team.

Agreed. It's a bit of an insult to the supreme deity of the universe that with everything that's actually important going on, that he/she/it cares about the result of Stoke v Swansea.
Then again, maybe God dicks with the results just to mess up people's pools bets...;)

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2012, 10:10:31 pm »
FUCK! someone beat me to the macro and an Enter Sandman reference. Since I wasn't really religious as a kid, despite going to a preschool at a church that taught mostly religious shit. I believed evolution was a shit ton more logical at 6 or 7. So lacking any religious upbringing I didn't realize that was an actual prayer when I first heard it listening to Enter Sandman. I would think it would terrify a young child.

Dreams of war,
Dreams of lies,
Dreams of dragons fire
                             -My favorite line of Enter Sandman
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2012, 10:31:16 pm »
It sounds like a contraction of "good bye" to me.

You have a snail for a face.

Just because so many people seem to love derailing, and because I'm feeling like being a hypocrite, I'm going to attempt to derail this thread by talking about snails.  The only thing is, should I talk about the lanky pony or the creature?  For that matter, maybe I should abandon that idea and we can talk about hypocrisy for no real reason.

I like cats.  Let's talk about those.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
  • We Have Such Sights To Show You.
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2012, 10:58:39 pm »
OK, time for the real "Enter Sandman."

/mod kilt on

Knock it the fuck off with the deliberate derails. In this thread or any other. It's getting real fucking old, real fucking fast.

/mod kilt off
"In case you're interested, there's still some positions available for that bonus opportunity I mentioned earlier. Again: all you gotta do is let
us disassemble you. We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together. So that's a complete reassembly. New vitals. Spit-shine on the old ones. Plus we're scooping out tumors. Frankly, you oughtta be paying us." -Cave Johnson

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2012, 11:02:50 pm »
OK, time for the real "Enter Sandman."

/mod kilt on

Knock it the fuck off with the deliberate derails. In this thread or any other. It's getting real fucking old, real fucking fast.

/mod kilt off

Who's that directed at? I assume B-man but I'm just making sure since I've (accidentally) derailed a couple threads recently.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov