Author Topic: Good Things People Say on the Internet  (Read 110964 times)

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
Re: Good Things People Say on the Internet
« Reply #375 on: February 10, 2017, 07:50:20 am »
No but nor did any of them say it was, or even should be, legal. None that I have read. As I said find one that does.

I'll see if I can.

EDIT: Found one.

Dude, deja vu
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #376 on: February 15, 2017, 05:30:50 pm »
Sometimes I like to get my students' brains working by having them go backwards from an answer to work out the question that would bring it about. In that same spirit I offer the following, and ask: what was Trump asked that he said the following in response?

Well, I just want to say that we are, you know, very honored by the victory that we had. 306 electoral college votes. We were not supposed to 220. You know that, right? There was no way to 221, but then they said there’s no way to 270. And there’s tremendous enthusiasm out there.

I will say that we are going to have peace in this country. We are going to stop crime in this country. We are going to do everything within our power to stop long-simmering racism and every other thing that’s going on, because a lot of bad things have been taking place over a long period of time. I think one of the reasons I won the election is we have a very, very divided nation. Very divided. And hopefully I’ll be able to do something about that. It was something that was very important to me.

As far as people, Jewish people, so many friends, a daughter who happens to be here right now, a son-in-law, and three beautiful grandchildren. I think that you’re going to see a lot different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. I think a lot of good things are happening, and you’re going to see a lot of love. You’re going to see a lot of love. OK? Thank you.

The answer, which I'm sure you got, is
(click to show/hide)

Nailed it, didn't he?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #377 on: February 16, 2017, 07:39:28 am »
Exhibit A in the ongoing series: "How to Fail At Pretending to Know the Answer to the Question."
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #378 on: February 16, 2017, 07:52:47 am »
That's pretty standard politician answer. Don't actually answer the question, but rather regurgitate an unrelated pre-scripted soundbite.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #379 on: March 09, 2017, 01:36:25 am »
https://www.icc-cricket.com/media-releases/345719

Specifically, this excerpt:

Cricketer Sachin Tendulkar was asked what he would say to a cricket fan who wouldn't consider watching a women's game. His response:

I guess he is not a cricket fan. If you are a true cricket fan, you need to get there in the middle and watch that action. They are skillful players, they are competitive, they fight hard and in the right spirit. Then why wouldn’t you want to be there? I think you need a closer look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself some strong question that are you a cricket fan or cricket lover. If yes, then you better be there.

But really, it applies to any sport.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #380 on: March 09, 2017, 02:12:16 am »
From the Cracked comments section.

"How 'Men's Rights Activists' Use Cult Tactics On Its Members"

Really? This is AWESOME! I've got to join them right away.

*Rushes out. Returns a few hours later*

Well, this is rather disappointing. I regret to inform those of you who might have gotten excited not to bother. From my few hours at the cult were mostly a bunch of us bitching and moaning endlessly about how unfair and women life were to us and we deserved respect, despite having done nothing to deserve it I could see.

Not once did we try to summon a daemon, choose our mark of Chaos, pray to one of the Dark Gods, or even make plans to over throw or corrupt society so our Unholy Masters' will be done. I mean, from the general lack of hygiene and aura of despair I was pretty sure at first it was a Nurglitch Cult, but nah.

2/10, wouldn't join again.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #381 on: March 10, 2017, 02:09:14 am »
https://noahdyer.com/scandal-and-controversy/

A candidate for Governor of Arizona, Noah Dyer, is being refreshingly honest about things like his sex life and religious views.

Noah has had both deep and casual sexual experiences with all kinds of women.  He is an advocate of open relationships.  He’s had group sex and sex with married women.  He has sent and received intimate texts and pictures, and occasionally recorded video during sex. Noah has always been forthright with his partners.  All of his relationships have been legal and consensual, never coercive, or abusive, and he condemns such behavior. Noah is unapologetic about his sexual choices, and wishes others the same safety and confidence as they express themselves.

Noah believes religion is beautiful when it inspires people to serve others and persevere despite adversity.  Alternatively, he has spoken out very harshly when religion is used to defend intolerance and bully with mysticism. Such harsh words are rare these days, but if you’d like to read some of his past tirades, feel free to scroll through his old Facebook posts, all of which are set to public.

Noah believes that all people ought to be free to believe whatever they want about the origins of the universe and how it works.  He also believes that, when such beliefs have political and legal implications, they ought to be debated and evaluated on their merits, just like any other political or legal idea.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #382 on: March 13, 2017, 11:31:15 am »
This is a long one:
(click to show/hide)

Interesting too, despite being a guy I have not yet understood what makes some guys send dick pics. The Twitter theory might not be entirely accurate but the desexualization of men is an interesting observation. But does it really explain the dick pics? I've never sent them and they weren't a thing when I was a young adult... Then again, we didn't have cameras on our phones back then, so maybe I'm just too old?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #383 on: March 13, 2017, 09:13:05 pm »
You always hear that women are too sexualised, but that's the first time I've heard someone say that men aren't sexualised enough. I have to say, it would explain quite a lot, and does kind of make sense when you think about it. People generally do like it when others show interest in them. It seems pretty natural that not enough would be just as much of a problem as too much.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #384 on: March 13, 2017, 11:26:09 pm »
I try to wear very tight clothes and muscle myself up on some part because indeed I want to be looked at and sexualized. I look up to Jeff Seid, and find him to be basically what I want to look like.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #385 on: March 14, 2017, 08:29:57 am »
You always hear that women are too sexualised, but that's the first time I've heard someone say that men aren't sexualised enough. I have to say, it would explain quite a lot, and does kind of make sense when you think about it. People generally do like it when others show interest in them. It seems pretty natural that not enough would be just as much of a problem as too much.

Aye.  I was about to say that they aren't exactly wrong...

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #386 on: March 16, 2017, 09:06:34 am »
A guy tweets about an experiment they did with his female coworker. The result is an interesting - albeit anecdotal - piece of evidence about casual sexism in workplace.

Their boss complained that her communication with their clients was too inefficient and time consuming and forced him as her supervisor to pressure her to be more efficient. Then, a client started causing problems for him by acting arrogant and condescending. After a while he realized that he had accidentally left his coworker's signature to the emails he had sent from their shared address. After he started signing them with his own name and told the client he was taking over the project the problem went away.

After asking her about this and her telling that she encounters the same thing all the time they agreed to sign their emails with each other's names for two weeks. She cruised through that time with mutually respectful communications with their clients while he was often forced to deal with condescending and time consuming behavior from them. Nothing else had changed except their perceived genders but their experiences were radically different.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #387 on: March 16, 2017, 09:35:28 am »
To be fair, the biggest shitbags in any industry are the clients.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #388 on: March 16, 2017, 10:39:45 am »
It may have been just one anecdote but it seems like an experiment that would be easy to repeat. There are jobs where people deal with customers through Email so we can see if this happens more.

If phonecalls or face-to-face interaction is expected then it gets harder but even in those professions there are plenty of instances where, for example, guys do not wish to buy a car from a woman and demand to see a male salesperson. (I once took my car to a mechanic who was a woman. This did surprise me because I realized that this was the first female car mechanic I have met.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #389 on: April 04, 2017, 04:13:18 pm »
Found this in a video on YouTube, so I'm putting it here.

Quote from: Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Let me warn you, and let me warn the nation, against the smooth evasion that says, "Of course we believe these things. We believe in Social Security. We believe in work for the unemployed. We believe in saving homes. Cross our hearts and hope to die, we believe in all these things! But we do not like the way the present Administration is doing them! Just turn them over to us. We will do all of them, we will do more of them, we will do them better, and, most important of all, the doing of them will not cost anybody anything!"