Author Topic: Syria supression thread  (Read 4579 times)

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
Syria supression thread
« on: February 06, 2012, 10:19:39 pm »
A few months ago the Arab spring moved to Syria and President Assad responded with massive attacks killing thousands.  Recently the UN had a vote to condemn the actions there and Russia and China blocked it

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Syria supression thread
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 10:27:31 pm »
Ok.

Ironbite-anything else you'd like to add?

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 10:35:56 pm »
Ok.

Yes
Part of the reason the US etc has been so unresponsive has been that Assad has a live and let live policy with Israel
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 12:37:11 am by kefkaownsall »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 11:26:39 pm »
Ok.

Yes
Part of the reason the US etc has been so unresponsive has been that Assad has a live and let live policy with Syria

And your opinion on this is...?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 12:33:04 am »
Ok.

Yes
Part of the reason the US etc has been so unresponsive has been that Assad has a live and let live policy with Syria
And your opinion on this is...?
Very negative (I meant Israel)
I feel like we should not be ignoring this
Most of the media in the US has been ignoring Syria
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 12:49:27 am by kefkaownsall »

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 12:49:00 am »
Fuck I'm hardly a sepophile but surely the people to blame in this are the people who blocked the UN resolution? Being China and Russia not the USA.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 12:50:29 am »
Fuck I'm hardly a sepophile but surely the people to blame in this are the people who blocked the UN resolution? Being China and Russia not the USA.
I am blaming the US for not having a stronger stance but I do at the moment place blame at China and Russia

Distind

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 06:27:32 am »
I am blaming the US for not having a stronger stance but I do at the moment place blame at China and Russia
The US has been discussing going behind the UN's back, similar to what we've done before. But given how well our last few liberations have done we're a tad gunshy.

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 06:50:08 am »
And the cynic in me points out that Syria doesn't have oil.

Offline D Laurier

• Bishop
  • Never trust a white man with power.
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 09:41:16 am »
It should also be noted that every government has used force to put down rebellion. Russia and China are just less hypocritical about it.
How many Irishmen did the british army kill when Thatcher ordered the crushing of the Irish independence movement?
How many Americans died when Bush the elder crushed the Los Angeles revolt?
How many native Palestinians are killed on an average day by settlers and commandoes?
The Syrian rebels have been promised "democracy" if they overthrow Assad. Too bad they forget the three decades of democracy under French rule from 1919 to 1948.
Cable (or satelite) TV is like paying someone to projectile poop all over your brain.

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 11:24:22 am »
How many Irishmen did the british army kill when Thatcher ordered the crushing of the Irish independence movement?

OK, I'll bite, how many? ::)

The Syrian rebels have been promised "democracy" if they overthrow Assad. Too bad they forget the three decades of democracy under French rule from 1919 to 1948.

Yeah, it's amazing how many people who aren't in their sixties, seventies or eighties have forgotten that.  Why, it's like there's been a dictator in place since independence!
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 11:29:31 am »
If the US was to get involved the model should be Libya.  The US took a support role.  The problem is NATO does not wish to get involved in Syria.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Jodie

• Cyborg Wannabe
  • Pope
  • WTF???
    • Doodles and stuff
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 01:57:54 am »
And the cynic in me points out that Syria doesn't have oil.

This is exactly what I was going to say. Get out of my head!
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Corinthians 13: 4-7

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 04:39:23 am »
ah yes, US gets involved, they're evil
US doesn't get involved, they're evil.

I wish people would pick one. Personally I opt with "stay the fuck out of it". If people want whatever enough, they'll topple government. Us getting involved means we have to bear the responsibility when the new government turns out to be the same or worse than the previous, kinda like how Lybia's gone since "La Revolution".
Which come to think of it, I see most of the world is turning a blind eye to the post war bullshit going on there. How much longer before we get stuck in "operation mop up"?
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 04:53:36 pm »
It's the Middle East.  Killing one another for reasons not apparent to the sane is an important part of their culture.  Who are we to define what's fun and what isn't fun?
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.