Author Topic: School attack in Sweden  (Read 7425 times)

Even Then

Re: School attack in Sweden
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2015, 03:08:56 am »
I'm pretty sure native Swedish rapists get light sentences too so it's not really a "reverse discrimination" thing

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2015, 09:06:59 am »
The Swedish law also defines rape more broadly and many cases would be defined as sexual assault elsewhere. The Swedish public also has a high trust in the police and there is relatively little social stigma for rape victims which means there are less incentives for the victims not to report the crimes. Since rape is one of the crimes that often go unreported this is probably a factor in the rape statistics.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2015, 09:44:52 am »
I'm pretty sure native Swedish rapists get light sentences too so it's not really a "reverse discrimination" thing

That's probably true, but since when have wingnuts let the facts get in the way of the narrative?  And it certainly doesn't help that a statutory rape case was thrown out of court because the victim "looked well-developed."

The Swedish law also defines rape more broadly and many cases would be defined as sexual assault elsewhere. The Swedish public also has a high trust in the police and there is relatively little social stigma for rape victims which means there are less incentives for the victims not to report the crimes. Since rape is one of the crimes that often go unreported this is probably a factor in the rape statistics.

Like I said, the truth about Swedish rape cases has been distorted.  What's important is how the cases are treated.  I'm all for multiculturalism, but rapists and other felons don't enrich culture.  My problem's not really with the immigrants themselves, I have every reason to believe most of them are decent, law-abiding citizens.  My problem is with the Swedish government's response to when immigrants commit crimes.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2015, 05:16:23 pm »

That's probably true, but since when have wingnuts let the facts get in the way of the narrative?  And it certainly doesn't help that a statutory rape case was thrown out of court because the victim "looked well-developed."

Like I said, the truth about Swedish rape cases has been distorted.  What's important is how the cases are treated.  I'm all for multiculturalism, but rapists and other felons don't enrich culture.  My problem's not really with the immigrants themselves, I have every reason to believe most of them are decent, law-abiding citizens.  My problem is with the Swedish government's response to when immigrants commit crimes.

What the others are trying to say is that Sweden has more rapes REPORTED. If more survivors of rape REPORT their assault, it's a good thing because it means that people are more open and willing to talk about it and survivors aren't shamed.

If this country didn't have a huge stigma on rape, the reports would be through the roof! India would be hundreds of times worse!

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2015, 07:06:46 pm »
And it certainly doesn't help that a statutory rape case was thrown out of court because the victim "looked well-developed."

If the victim misrepresented themselves and it was believable that doesn't really seem like a miscarriage of justice.

Got any details on what the story is? I curious to know if it's a tempest in a teapot or a legitimate issue.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2015, 07:10:07 pm »
And it certainly doesn't help that a statutory rape case was thrown out of court because the victim "looked well-developed."

If the victim misrepresented themselves and it was believable that doesn't really seem like a miscarriage of justice.

Got any details on what the story is? I curious to know if it's a tempest in a teapot or a legitimate issue.

It looks like UP is talking about the case depicted below:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/man-27-acquitted-of-raping-13-year-old-girl-in-sweden-because-she-looked-well-developed-10111432.html

Which, while it's certainly unsavory, one could make the argument that he thought she looked 15, and she never disproved that, and so he didn't know he was committing a crime.

Though my position is "a 27-year-old man shouldn't be having sex with anyone below 20 anyway, that's just sick and wrong".
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.