Author Topic: Not-Good Things People Say on the Internet  (Read 274966 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Not-Good Things People Say on the Internet
« Reply #1335 on: May 21, 2018, 01:50:30 am »
That's rich coming from the woman who conflated "doesn't like fascism" with "Antifa".

You seem to conflate "does not like X" with "Has been known to kill X, with guns, melee weapons and his bare fucking hands. Will fight X wherever he sees it and does not compromise."

Because that is what Captain America does to Fascism and I'm sure that everyone except you will agree that this is a lot more violence and death than what has been done by people wearing the Antifa colours.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #1336 on: May 21, 2018, 05:43:39 am »
Technically, black is not a color, but it is the lack of color.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1337 on: May 21, 2018, 09:39:36 am »
Technically, black is not a color, but it is the lack of color.

Only on the light spectrum; on the pigment spectrum, black is the presence of all colour.

/pedantry
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #1338 on: May 21, 2018, 10:32:51 am »
Trust me, there's plenty of evidence of them being horrible. Ask a Berkeley resident.

I don't believe you.  Cite your sources.

Alright.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/08/28/black-clad-antifa-attack-right-wing-demonstrators-in-berkeley/?utm_term=.27152db86643

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/antifa-guardians-against-fascism-or-lawless-thrill-seekers/2017/09/14/38db474c-93fe-11e7-89fa-bb822a46da5b_story.html?utm_term=.4020faeba8a3

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/yes-antifa-is-the-moral-equivalent-of-neo-nazis/2017/08/30/9a13b2f6-8d00-11e7-91d5-ab4e4bb76a3a_story.html?utm_term=.2ef6da9f4cb8

That's rich coming from the woman who conflated "doesn't like fascism" with "Antifa".

You seem to conflate "does not like X" with "Has been known to kill X, with guns, melee weapons and his bare fucking hands. Will fight X wherever he sees it and does not compromise."

Because that is what Captain America does to Fascism and I'm sure that everyone except you will agree that this is a lot more violence and death than what has been done by people wearing the Antifa colours.

Yes. But my point has always been that Steve Rogers is not Antifa except in the broadest possible terms.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 10:35:09 am by Lana Reverse »
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #1339 on: May 21, 2018, 02:03:21 pm »
Yes. But my point has always been that Steve Rogers is not Antifa except in the broadest possible terms.

He's not complaining about Cap opposing fascism, but about the (supposed, I haven't read the comic) support for Antifa. Let's not build strawmen.
That was your original claim where you first started defending the Neo-Nazi complaining about the comic.

Then you moved onto this:

I think you're trying to cram a square peg into a round hole. AFAIK, Cap's never been a member of a vigilante group whose primary purpose was direct action against fascism. I don't think he ever joined a group that had "anti-fascist" or a variation in its name.

And as we have tried to point out repeatedly, Cap has been in vigilantee groups, several of them, that fought against Fascism. For some of those groups it was in fact the primary purpose.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #1340 on: May 21, 2018, 02:25:46 pm »

He's not complaining about Cap opposing fascism, but about the (supposed, I haven't read the comic) support for Antifa. Let's not build strawmen.
That was your original claim where you first started defending the Neo-Nazi complaining about the comic.

Then you moved onto this:

I think you're trying to cram a square peg into a round hole. AFAIK, Cap's never been a member of a vigilante group whose primary purpose was direct action against fascism. I don't think he ever joined a group that had "anti-fascist" or a variation in its name.

And as we have tried to point out repeatedly, Cap has been in vigilantee groups, several of them, that fought against Fascism. For some of those groups it was in fact the primary purpose.

He's a Nazi?

But anyway, are we still talking about his resistance to the registration act? Because in my opinion, you undermined your point with this:

So, Lana... Are you familiar with the Civil war storyline in Marvel or not? Because one of the main motivations for Cap to oppose the registration is that he saw where that kind of thing leads to. Concentration camps and lists of people is literally what the Nazis did, it's what the US did to Japanese-Americans and it's close enough to Fascism for him.

The Japanese-American internment was awful, but it was not done by fascists. When you brought it up, you essentially admitted that authoritarian and/or discriminatory acts are not solely performed by fascists. Internment camps and the like have been used by many different governments of many different ideologies. They could be found in many different colonial entities (the British put Boers in concentration camps), and in communist countries. Hell, the registration act drew comparisons to Maoist China and the Soviet Union. Should we say Cap's opposition to it was anti-communist?

And I never moved any goalposts.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 02:27:21 pm by Lana Reverse »

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #1341 on: May 21, 2018, 03:00:49 pm »
Lana, why do you keep trying to convince people here of "BUT BOTH SIDES!" when everyone can 1) see through you and 2) has rejected BUT BOTH SIDES thoroughly?
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #1342 on: May 21, 2018, 03:28:07 pm »
Because UPHisOwnDogmaAnal has to do this for the GOOD OF US ALL!  THE GOOD OF US ALL!  THE GOOD OF US ALL!

Ironbite-THE FUCKING GOOD OF US ALL!

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #1343 on: May 21, 2018, 04:38:57 pm »
Lana, why do you keep trying to convince people here of "BUT BOTH SIDES!" when everyone can 1) see through you and 2) has rejected BUT BOTH SIDES thoroughly?

Ignoring your unjustified and inaccurate snideness, I keep talking about Antifa's misdeeds because they're normalizing political violence.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #1344 on: May 21, 2018, 05:13:58 pm »
Interesting you brought up Berkeley, because if I recall telling you, that's the city where the alt-right cut a deal with the coppers to disarm antifa but not the alt right before thumping any lefties antifa or non antifa alike. I guess political violence with police approval is ok.

But, both sides. Amiright?

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #1345 on: May 21, 2018, 05:19:54 pm »
Interesting you brought up Berkeley, because if I recall telling you, that's the city where the alt-right cut a deal with the coppers to disarm antifa but not the alt right before thumping any lefties antifa or non antifa alike. I guess political violence with police approval is ok.

The source you keep citing only claims that the police disarmed Antifa to some extent. Everything else is a mighty reach.

And there is video evidence of Antifa throwing fireworks at people who are just standing there.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4ftMf35LTw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4ftMf35LTw</a>

Go to about 2:40.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 05:30:18 pm by Lana Reverse »

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #1346 on: May 21, 2018, 05:28:16 pm »

The source you keep citing only claims that the police disarmed Antifa to some extent...
But not the alt right, who went on a bashing frenzy.

Of course political violence is bad, on both sides, on both sides. Never mind that only one side has historically and presently actually had the full attention of law enforcement in the US!

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #1347 on: May 21, 2018, 05:37:20 pm »

The source you keep citing only claims that the police disarmed Antifa to some extent...
But not the alt right, who went on a bashing frenzy.

You have to prove that

1. No effort was made to disarm them

and

2. They started the fight

before I start believing this.

Of course political violence is bad, on both sides, on both sides. Never mind that only one side has historically and presently actually had the full attention of law enforcement in the US!

Your article undermines itself with this:

That assessment discussed both white nationalists and protesters, but it did so in a telling way: It marked the protesters as the most imminent source of violence, warning that “anarchist extremists’ use of violence as a means to oppose racism and white supremacist extremists’ preparations to counterattack anarchist extremists are the principal drivers of violence at recent white supremacist rallies

This indicates that they were basing their assumption not on racism or political bias, but on events that had happened previously.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #1348 on: May 21, 2018, 06:12:30 pm »
You seem to be confusing the threat assessment with the article. The fact the threat assessment wasted time fretting about anarchists only underscores the fact that they were woefully unprepared for alt righters firing live rounds at unarmed leftists, openly beating black men yards from a police station, forming literal torch weilding mobs-oh and vehicular homicide. All this reveals is the deep cultural problem within US law enforcement when it comes to accurately assessing right wing threats.

But fine people. But both sides.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #1349 on: May 21, 2018, 06:26:41 pm »
So I am phrasing this to avoid the 'no true scotsman' - How many antifa supporters have killed people at rallies? How many (alt-right/nazis/alt-lite/fascists/wannabe fascists) have killed people at rallies?

Also you are saying that you won't believe the alt-right/fascists are violent unless it is proved that they didn't start it? (Ignoring the fact that telling people you want to wipe them out is starting it).

And you still insist your a biracial, bisexual anesthetic registrar who is not in fact Dynamic Dragon or Ultimate Paragon? - Just 'Trust me'