Author Topic: Bill Cosby Arraigned  (Read 6342 times)

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
Re: Bill Cosby Arraigned
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 12:21:07 pm »
Which part, Ravy? I thought I was pretty blunt.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 12:37:49 pm »
The implication that Mr. Rogers, the character, was somehow tainted by Fred Rogers, the person.  Likely not your intent, but awkward wording and all that.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2016, 11:22:05 pm »
Indeed.  Fred Rogers was pretty much what you saw on the screen.  According to just about everyone who knew him.  All you gotta do is look him up.  The guy was almost too good to be real, yet he was.  He was the most Christlike Christian I've ever heard of so far.

Cosby and Rogers are opposite ends of the spectrum from each-other.

As far as Cosby goes, however it ends up, this will probably be the end for him.    I've had mixed feelings about this whole thing, and I think I probably always will, considering I grew up listening to him and watching him.   Sad all around, any way you cut it.   It is what it is, though; and it will be what it will be.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2016, 02:30:17 am »
The implication that Mr. Rogers, the character, was somehow tainted by Fred Rogers, the person.  Likely not your intent, but awkward wording and all that.

Nah, I think the point was that the character played on the screen is separate from the actor. Whether the actor is a saint or a monster in real life they can play characters who aren't like them.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2016, 04:37:22 am »
That is true, but it makes some folks uncomfortable knowing about what the actor did, and that the whole time you watch whatever said actor has been in and created,  some feel as if what they're seeing is all a lie and the actor is really just hiding behind a facade.

A lot of people can separate the actor from the character, *strictly* seeing only one or the other, but that viewpoint is just one of many different gradients of the same.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2016, 08:24:22 am »
Aye, I've never really watched anything Cosby did as I'm...not too terribly fond of sitcoms, but if I liked the shows, I think him being a rapist would kinda sour things, at least a little.  Mostly because I tend to think "wonder what goes on backstage" from time to time and that leads to distinctly uncomfortable things when you realize something like that about a person.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2016, 11:33:06 pm »
I think Rookie is refering to one of the urban legends that Mr. Rogers was either a convicted child molester or that he was an ex special forces member and wore the sweater to cover the tattoos he had from his time in military. These legends circulated in Emails, particularly right after his death. All of those are false as Snopes explains here: http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/mrrogers.asp
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2016, 10:38:31 am »
Pump your breaks there just a second Barb. Compartmentalize for just a moment. Fat Albert isn't ruined because the creator is who he is any more than Mr. Rogers is in any way tainted by who Fred Rogers was. Fat Albert is a character, and therein subject to the same rules as any other character.

Other than that, hell yeah!

But Fred was a great guy and it's hard to separate Cosby from his art....because Cosby's art was, more often or not, about him and his life (albeit idealized and without the rape).

Believe me, I'd LOVE to separate Cosby from his art but with him, it's REALLY hard.

Maybe if someone else told all those wonderful stand-up stories and changed the names a bit, but that would make them plagiarists.

I might be able to watch Fat Albert if I put it through my Windows Movie Maker and edit out the live-action Cosby parts. Of course, he did the voices....but it's still a bunch of cartoon characters (even if one is supposed to be him).

There's a lot of skeezy and jerky celebs but sometimes, a person's ability to separate artist from art is hard if the two are almost interchangeable and the artist's offense is super-heinous.

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2016, 10:25:35 pm »
Most of Cosby's stuff is semi-autobiographical, so it can indeed be hard to not think about current events when listening or watching things he's in, or reading his books.  Whether true or false, these allegations have tarnished his career forever either consciously or subconsciously.   

Offline rookie

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2016, 11:05:59 pm »
Fine. Replace Rogers with Bing Crosby. Or whoever the hell you want.  My point is the actor is not the character and the character is not the actor. There are actors, writers, producers, etc. All of which come together to "bring the character to life" but they aren't coming to life. It's the collective imaginative play of others and we watch it. If you want to let Bill Cosby taint Dr. Huxtable, go ahead. Or Fat Albert. Or whatever other character he played or developed. If you want to separate fact and fancy, that's fine too. That! That was the point. Fred Rogers was as good a man as he played. Bing Crosby was the polar opposite of who he usually played. Cosby too.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 11:10:44 pm by rookie »
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2016, 12:12:42 am »
Can I replace him with Mel Gibson?

Offline rookie

• The Beast
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2016, 11:53:08 am »

If you'd like, sure. Gibson is an ass, Riggs was funny.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2016, 12:22:40 pm »

If you'd like, sure. Gibson is an ass, Riggs was funny.

Stonebanks was a well done villain. That pedophile-teacher with a burnt face made for a great and complicated character as well.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!