Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 387223 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #1710 on: September 23, 2017, 04:39:16 pm »
He's basically a poorly-written wrestling persona let loose outside the ring.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #1711 on: September 24, 2017, 08:03:59 pm »
You gotta love how Trump is telling nfl fans to not condone something harmless like not standing for the national anthem. But he wont condone white nazi sympathizers who wish to eradicate people different from him.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #1712 on: September 24, 2017, 08:19:17 pm »
You gotta love how Trump is telling nfl fans to not condone something harmless like not standing for the national anthem. But he wont condone white nazi sympathizers who wish to eradicate people different from him.

While I may disagree with Kaepernick on philosophical grounds, I don't think him kneeling during the national anthem is as big a deal as people make it out to be. Besides, doesn't Trump have better things to do than rant about NFL players?
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #1713 on: September 24, 2017, 09:21:09 pm »
What grounds are those? That he doesn't want cops shooting black people for being black?
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #1714 on: September 24, 2017, 09:29:32 pm »
What grounds are those? That he doesn't want cops shooting black people for being black?

It's our differing views of the American flag. I personally think of it as representing something to aspire to. That being said, I'm not offended at how he chooses to protest.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #1715 on: September 25, 2017, 12:28:37 am »
Kaepernick feels he can't respect a flag when he as a race isn't respected or safe in the country he lives in.
Anyway Trump is not the fucking emperor of the United states and it's none of his business who chooses to stand kneel lay down during the anthem. He needs to keep his fucking mouth shut.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 12:31:09 am by Id82 »
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #1716 on: September 25, 2017, 12:58:03 am »
And anyway, just look at the crowd during these games. During the anthem, at least half of them are getting a beer, taking a leak, or chatting with their friends. Even sitting or kneeling quietly is, frankly, more respectful than that, especially when that anthem represents a system of government which enshrines and entrenches the right of peaceful protest. (If we think anthems and flags and such deserve respect.)
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #1717 on: September 25, 2017, 03:17:49 am »
There's also the circular reasoning. Soldiers fought and died for your right to protest, so don't disrespect them by protesting because they fought and died for your right to protest.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #1718 on: September 25, 2017, 03:57:43 am »
To be quite honest is there even a reason to be proud of America?

We claim to stand for freedom of speech unless people are using their freedom of speech against the right wing, apparently. We claim to stand for democracy but have stood with Saudi Arabia for years, and our current elected head of state's favorite people are Duterte, Erdogan and Putin. Really, if you think about it, pretty much everything positive that we claim to stand for, we really just lie about and do what serves the interests of whoever's in office instead. Quite honestly asking here, but why should I be proud of living in this country?

Truth be told, I'd be much more proud to live in Germany or Sweden or the Netherlands than here. Hell, after 1945, even Japan has a much better record, and that's factoring in their refusal to apologize for much of anything.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #1719 on: September 25, 2017, 04:00:35 am »
You can disprove all US claims about standing for freedom and liberty and democracy and human rights and all that crap with six words.

Mohammad Mossadegh.

Salvador Allende.

Saudi Arabia.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #1720 on: September 25, 2017, 05:19:10 am »
Fact is, Americans would rather have cheap oil and other resources over foreigners having the same rights and freedoms that they have. As such, propping up dictatorships in exchange for cheap shit is a great way to win votes.

Hell, the eve-popular issue of gas prices comes up in pretty much every election, with each candidate promising to bring them down as low as possible. How exactly do you think they accomplish that in the first place? Certainly not through fuel subsidies.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #1721 on: September 25, 2017, 11:25:19 am »
To be quite honest is there even a reason to be proud of America?

We claim to stand for freedom of speech unless people are using their freedom of speech against the right wing, apparently.

Which is why John Oliver is in Gitmo right now. /s

We claim to stand for democracy but have stood with Saudi Arabia for years, and our current elected head of state's favorite people are Duterte, Erdogan and Putin. Really, if you think about it, pretty much everything positive that we claim to stand for, we really just lie about and do what serves the interests of whoever's in office instead. Quite honestly asking here, but why should I be proud of living in this country?

America granted women the vote before most European countries (French women weren't enfranchised until 1945!), rebuilt numerous countries devastated in World War II, is one of the most diverse countries on the planet, has made countless innovations, and remains one of the global leaders in free speech.

We shouldn't sugarcoat America's flaws and misdeeds, but there are legitimate reasons to be proud, at least in my opinion. If you don't think so, that's fine. I'm not some ultranationalist who thinks criticizing America points to some kind of underlying character flaw. I love my country, warts and all.

Truth be told, I'd be much more proud to live in Germany or Sweden or the Netherlands than here.

All countries where you can get arrested for criticizing Islam. They might as well bring back blasphemy laws.

Hell, after 1945, even Japan has a much better record, and that's factoring in their refusal to apologize for much of anything.

You mean the country that still calls its Korean population "foreigners"? Japan is still very xenophobic for a first-world country.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #1722 on: September 25, 2017, 02:49:40 pm »
a) You still seem to have a problem understanding that hate speech is not the same as critique.

b) Racism and domestic-bigotry are still common in Japan but it's been ages since they started wars for their own benefit or legalized torturing people or refused voting rights to minorities. (Ok, they have their own minorities that are actively denied jobs and upwards mobility but mainly by the citizens rather than the government.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #1723 on: September 25, 2017, 03:36:35 pm »
a) You still seem to have a problem understanding that hate speech is not the same as critique.

I know there's a difference, I just don't trust any government to decide what people can and can't say. Punishing people for crimes like defamation and incitement is one thing, saying they aren't allowed to express an opinion is something else.

b) Racism and domestic-bigotry are still common in Japan but it's been ages since they started wars for their own benefit or legalized torturing people or refused voting rights to minorities. (Ok, they have their own minorities that are actively denied jobs and upwards mobility but mainly by the citizens rather than the government.)

I'll give you your first two points, but it's also been ages since American minorities were denied voting rights. Unless you're talking about Voter ID laws, in which case I'd like to point out that they've been repeatedly struck down.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #1724 on: September 25, 2017, 06:09:14 pm »
http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/25/politics/john-mccain-cancer-trump-health-care-60-minutes/index.html

John McCain has opened up about his prognosis.

It's... not good.

EDIT: http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/25/politics/graham-cassidy-health-care-status/index.html

The CBO has scored Graham-Cassidy, and Susan Collins has now said she will not vote for it.

As Rand Paul and John McCain have already voiced their opposition, barring the possibility of the GOP flipping somebody like Joe Manchin, Heidi Heitkamp, Joe Donnelly, Claire McCaskill, or Angus King, this renders Graham-Cassidy dead.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 07:02:38 pm by dpareja »