Author Topic: Violence at Berkeley  (Read 17625 times)

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
Re: Violence at Berkeley
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2017, 10:06:00 pm »
Nope.

Now, what was your point about what the original article was supposed to prove again?

I think you misunderstood me. I said that the original article blamed the riots on outside agitators, but now one of the people who formed the Black Bloc says he and comrades were students.

BTW, do you realize you just contradicted yourself?

Nope.

Now, what was your point about what the original article was supposed to prove again?

You intolerant ass, fascists are people too. We must respect their fee-fees.

ETA: Stop triggering the snowflake fascists who just want to turn America into their safe space by killing everyone not like them.

Did you know one of the rioters attacked a Syrian Muslim because they thought he "looked like a Nazi"?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/02/opinion/how-violence-undermined-the-berkeley-protest.html?_r=0
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2017, 10:27:53 pm »
I'm getting a really strong sense of deja vu here.

Yes, some innocents were harmed and that's bad. No, I don't think that rioting or Nazi punching should be legal and yes I think that declaring someone to be a Nazi based on their clothing or hair alone is dumb as rocks.

Am I going to get all outragey because some of the anti Nazis are turning violent, no because the end result of Nazis getting power is this. That is objectively worse than Antifa no matter how you slice it.

Also you contradicted yourself when you stated that the original article argued that the riot wasn't caused by outside agitators when in fact they were arguing the precise opposite. Reading links. Helps.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 10:31:52 pm by Tolpuddle Martyr »

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2017, 10:38:48 pm »

Yes, some innocents were harmed and that's bad. No, I don't think that rioting or Nazi punching should be legal and yes I think that declaring someone to be a Nazi based on their clothing or hair alone is dumb as rocks.

Am I going to get all outragey because some of the anti Nazis are turning violent, no because the end result of Nazis getting power is this. That is objectively worse than Antifa no matter how you slice it.

Also you contradicted yourself when you stated that the original article argued that the riot wasn't caused by outside agitators when in fact they were arguing the precise opposite. Reading links. Helps.

When did I say that? I said the initial reporting was wrong when it said the rioters were outsiders (which it did).

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2017, 10:47:15 pm »
The CNN report was reporting what others said, not making a positive claim that it was true. If you were claiming that the university officials were incorrect then you might have a point. You are claiming CNN's reporting was incorrect.

Report =/= Op Ed. Quoting =/= believing in the quote in question. "Someone said X" =/= "I think X is true".

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2017, 10:50:49 pm »

When did I say that? I said the initial reporting was wrong when it said the rioters were outsiders (which it did).

Outsiders? or  "150 masked agitators"  - who had "come to campus to disturb an otherwise peaceful protest."

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2017, 10:59:43 pm »
The CNN report was reporting what others said, not making a positive claim that it was true. If you were claiming that the university officials were incorrect then you might have a point. You are claiming CNN's reporting was incorrect.

Report =/= Op Ed. Quoting =/= believing in the quote in question. "Someone said X" =/= "I think X is true".

You're right, I was wrong to say that. Thanks for pointing that out.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 11:04:56 pm by Lana Reverse »

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2017, 11:10:46 pm »
Nope.

I think you misunderstood me. I said that the original article blamed the riots on outside agitators, but now one of the people who formed the Black Bloc says he and comrades were students.

Nope.

ETA: Stop triggering the snowflake fascists who just want to turn America into their safe space by killing everyone not like them.

Did you know one of the rioters attacked a Syrian Muslim because they thought he "looked like a Nazi"?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/02/opinion/how-violence-undermined-the-berkeley-protest.html?_r=0

Humor, is it entirely lost on you Dynamic "Reverse Anal" Paragon?
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2017, 05:03:59 pm »
Nope.

Nope.

I got the joke, I just didn't think it reflected reality.

And I care about this because I'm scared. Not of the anarchists themselves, I doubt I'd be one of their victims, but of the impact they might have. I'm afraid they might delegitimize the anti-Trump movement, like they did to Occupy. Afraid that they might normalize political violence. Afraid that they might give Trump an excuse to abuse his executive powers.

But I'm not asking you to care. I couldn't care less about some of the things you talk about, such as the you-know-what controversy. If you don't want to talk about this, I won't try to make you. If you do, however, then I'd like to talk to you.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2017, 01:43:49 am »
Frankly, Trump himself mitigates any effect a few black blockers might have. When he declared war on the media he pulled large sections of them over to the anti Trump movement.

And it's those guys that usually start having kittens when a minority of protesters on the left get punchy.

EDIT: As to the left getting punchy, I approve of this statement.

"I don’t have a problem with escalating tactics to some sort of militant resistance if it is appropriate morally, strategically and tactically,” Jensen continued. “This is true if one is going to pick up a sign, a rock or a gun. But you need to have thought it through."

So yeah, I don't think that nonviolence is an end in itself. I can't make myself feel bad that a Nazi was punched. That said, a lot of the black blockers are just politicized casuals who are there for a punch-up.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 02:42:55 am by Tolpuddle Martyr »

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2017, 06:55:34 pm »
Nope.

Nope.

I got the joke, I just didn't think it reflected reality.

And I care about this because I'm scared. Not of the anarchists themselves, I doubt I'd be one of their victims, but of the impact they might have. I'm afraid they might delegitimize the anti-Trump movement, like they did to Occupy. Afraid that they might normalize political violence. Afraid that they might give Trump an excuse to abuse his executive powers.

But I'm not asking you to care. I couldn't care less about some of the things you talk about, such as the you-know-what controversy. If you don't want to talk about this, I won't try to make you. If you do, however, then I'd like to talk to you.

Your link goes to an article about how the 'black block anarchists' were actually opposed to the Occupy movement. So you are worried that groups are going to be delegitimized by other people who aren't part of them?

Are you worried about misogynists delegitimatizing the feminist movement?

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2017, 09:53:01 pm »
Your link goes to an article about how the 'black block anarchists' were actually opposed to the Occupy movement. So you are worried that groups are going to be delegitimized by other people who aren't part of them?

Who said they were one and the same?

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2017, 10:21:36 pm »

Doesn't the phrase "actually opposed" indicate that he wasn't calling them one and the same?

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2017, 10:46:46 pm »

Doesn't the phrase "actually opposed" indicate that he wasn't calling them one and the same?

I wasn't saying he was, I was asking if anybody did.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2017, 11:14:24 pm »

You did. Hence the direct question.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2017, 12:21:20 am »

You did. Hence the direct question.

No, I didn't. I said their actions discredited Occupy. That doesn't require the two "groups" (I use that term loosely, because Black Bloc actually refers to a tactic, not a group) to be synonymous.