Author Topic: Your Secret Religious Throwbacks  (Read 9316 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Your Secret Religious Throwbacks
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2013, 12:14:32 am »
Does loving "Greensleeves" count? If it's the regular version and not the Christian version? I'm...a bit of a sucker for that song if you get someone with a beautiful british-irish voice singing it...
Amazing grace on the bagpipes does it for me.

Every freaking time.

So does Halleluja.

I personally like Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring when sung by a really good singer. (Brian Stokes Mitchell's performance with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir is amazing but I can't find it on Youtube any more.)

Or this version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF2pO7mRYHM
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2013, 12:17:51 am »
I love Emerson, Lake & Palmer's cover of Jerusalem.

In fact, when that one child in the choir sang this tune in the beginning of the 2012 Summer Olympics (London), I automatically thought of their cover...

(click to show/hide)

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2013, 12:30:21 am »
Wasn't raised Jewish in any way, but I like to hum Shalom Aleichem.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2013, 05:14:54 am »
I forgot about one thing.

Despite the fact that it was steeped in religious fundamentalism, I still look back on my baptism with fondness.  More so because I asked to be baptized and didn't have it foisted on me.  (Since it was non-liturgical protestant, baptism was done with being essentially dunked into water.)
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2013, 05:27:12 am »
I think that, on some subconscious level, I still fear hell, god, Satan, etc., despite not consciously believing in any of it. Kind of like how horror films about ghosts and various monsters can be scary even though you know they're not real, but on a deeper level due to having had it engrained in me as young child. I also sometimes still get the urge to pray if I'm in a shitty situation, largely for the same reasons.

It's kind of weird, having this dissonance between my rational mind and the irrational, emotional part of me.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2013, 11:33:33 am »
I listen to a lot of old religious music, and I still have my Sacred Heart statuette.

The Catholic Church bothers me deeply, but it has some cool art.

I also say "Bless her/him" a lot, which is sort of a throwback to my Southern roots more than my religious upbringing, but it's kind of hard to separate one from the other.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2013, 01:14:25 pm »
When I was in Florida, I was the only atheist there. People actually asked me--in all seriousness, trying not to offend me and just being nice--if I minded or was offended at people saying 'bless you' when I sneezed. I'd never been asked that before and of course it doesn't bother me, since it's just part of the vernacular. But I thought it was really sweet that they were trying to make sure they didn't make me uncomfortable.

Ah Florida... The more north you go the more southern it gets.

'In Florida' has become my euphemism for 'in rehab'. Only one or two of the patients were actually local and the rest were from other states. They were just being nice, and were some of the sweetest people I've ever met.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2013, 04:51:39 pm »
I still enjoy humming the old hymn, "Gladly, the Cross-Eyed Bear."
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.