Author Topic: Dumbest Protest Signs  (Read 1089769 times)

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
Re: Dumbest Protest Signs
« Reply #4665 on: October 04, 2016, 01:11:22 am »
Suicide rates are driven by a lot of complicated factors that I won't claim to understand, but a quick google search shows that several countries noted for high levels of feminism like Sweden have seen suicide rates fall

Men aren't really more likely to attempt suicide then women anyway, men are just more likely to succeed because they choose violent methods like shooting themselves.  Which is why gun control likely would reduce male suicides.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #4666 on: October 04, 2016, 03:12:03 am »
Which is why gun control likely would reduce male suicides.

Blasphemy! It's the feminazis!
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4667 on: October 04, 2016, 08:57:56 am »
Men aren't really more likely to attempt suicide then women anyway, men are just more likely to succeed because they choose violent methods like shooting themselves.  Which is why gun control likely would reduce male suicides.

Eeh, no.  They'd just choose other effective methods.  You don't make a person with suicidal aspirations not suicidal by taking away certain tools, you do it by actually treating the problem.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4668 on: October 04, 2016, 09:26:23 am »
...Except that the methods that a suicidal person is likely to use do matter.

Nothing is stopping women from driving their car into a lorry but they are less likely to attempt that than men. Nothing is preventing men from trying to overdose on medical drugs (which is easier for the ambulance crew to fix than a bullet to the head) but men are still less likely to try that than women are.

If the population has less guns then they are also less likely to try to use them to commit suicide.

Is this the most effective suicide prevention method? Certainly not, but it would likely have a noticeable effect.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #4669 on: October 05, 2016, 09:03:28 pm »

Eeh, no.  They'd just choose other effective methods.  You don't make a person with suicidal aspirations not suicidal by taking away certain tools, you do it by actually treating the problem.

Higher gun ownership rates are correlated with higher suicide rates in the US. Though apparently not worldwide?

I haven't looked at it thoroughly but it doesn't seem clear-cut.
Σא

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #4670 on: October 08, 2016, 07:03:58 pm »

Higher gun ownership rates are correlated with higher suicide rates in the US. Though apparently not worldwide?

I haven't looked at it thoroughly but it doesn't seem clear-cut.

To the most of the world a gun is a tool. In America it is an answer.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #4671 on: October 09, 2016, 02:40:26 am »
Like I said, it's complicated.  A lot of different factors go into what drive suicide rates and I won't claim to understand them.  But having an easy quick way to kill yourself on hand is one of them.  Most suicides are impulsive acts with little forethought and the victim will in most cases reconsider if the are delayed long enough to think about it.  For examples simple fences on bridges greatly reduces the number of suicides because climbing over them gives you enough time to look down and decided that maybe you don't want to jump after all.  And there does seem to be strong evidence supporting that being to case with handguns:  if the suicidal person can't just pull a gun out of a drawer and shoot themselves but have to drive to a gun range, fill out paperwork, wait a few days etc they will change their mind.

It wouldn't fix the problem by itself, and isn't a replacement for professional help, but gun control would likely help.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4672 on: October 09, 2016, 03:57:34 am »
I've read that the first attempt often fails because the suicidal person gets last second regrets as they try to go through with it. If they tried to poison themselves or something like that they may still have time to call 999/911/112 and rescue may come in time. If they shot themselves in the head there is less chance of that.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #4673 on: December 18, 2016, 09:40:03 pm »
This was from my hometown

I say Canada assemble a deportation force to send all Pepe fans back where they came from.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #4674 on: December 18, 2016, 10:29:31 pm »

I say Canada assemble a deportation force to send all Pepe fans back where they came from.

Would not take long.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #4675 on: December 19, 2016, 12:47:12 pm »

All of them? Including the ones who don't use him hatefully?/pedantic

But in all seriousness, "deplorables" is right on the money.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #4676 on: December 21, 2016, 03:07:07 am »
I've read that the first attempt often fails because the suicidal person gets last second regrets as they try to go through with it. If they tried to poison themselves or something like that they may still have time to call 999/911/112 and rescue may come in time. If they shot themselves in the head there is less chance of that.

Ah it's a good morning for Chris Morris material from the 90s

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEacGiMO3K0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEacGiMO3K0</a>

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #4677 on: December 22, 2016, 11:48:27 pm »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4678 on: December 23, 2016, 09:08:25 am »
If I had a time machine, I wouldn't go back and kill Hitler.  I'd kill Ayn Rand before she wrote her first piece of shit book.  Yes, I'm implying that Ayn Rand has done more overall damage than Hitler.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4679 on: December 23, 2016, 10:23:18 am »
She actually has.