Author Topic: Victim of bullying finally wins  (Read 29556 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Victim of bullying finally wins
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2012, 08:28:29 pm »

I'm stupid...for not believing that being a bully is worthy of the death penalty?

No, you aren't. I, for one, happen to agree that a bully doesn't deserve death for being a bully if that's any consolation. An ass kicking most probably, but not death. Remember that a lot of people here at FSTDT feel very strongly about people being victimized, and have very strong reactions to stories about such things. Many valued and intelligent FSTDTers have experienced such torments firsthand for various reasons, or have close friends and loved ones who have, and there are fierce emotional connotations to events like these. Try to be understanding.

It really grates on me when someone actually blames a victim for something they can't control.  Is it sad someone died?  Yes.  Am I gonna celebrate it?  No.  Am I gonna go "oh well he should've done X different"?  FUCK NO!

Ironbite-but that's just me.

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2012, 08:34:15 pm »
Good on the kid. Bully deserved what he got. Bastard

He deserved to die for being a 17 year old asshole? Seriously?

And just when I think people aren't as stupid as some Transformers fans....Kit proves me wrong.

I'm stupid...for not believing that being a bully is worthy of the death penalty? For not finding a damn worth celebrating in the death of a kid? For thinking that, maybe, there's a better solution to being bullied than carrying a knife and stabbing a mother fucker in the heart?

Sounded more like deciding that this kid shouldn't defend himself and that because he did, now has to be punished because he "went into a rage"
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline Vene

• AKA Vene-Eye the Science Guy
  • Pope
  • Patronizing Know-It-All Snotnose
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2012, 08:38:02 pm »
About the only thing I can agree with Kit about is psychological counseling. But not because of him flying into a rage, but to make sure he doesn't develop PTSD and if he does to make sure it gets treated.

Offline Kit Walker

• Pope
  • Grand Master Brain Wizard*
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2012, 08:45:18 pm »
I'm clearly in the minority opinion here. I've said my piece. I've been called names. I'll just call this a loss and move the fuck on. I admit my response is mostly emotional. I feel for anyone who gets bullied, I got bullied too. I got called names, got threatened, all that fun stuff. From the time I was 8 up to about 16. I have massive social anxiety issues that I attribute to that treatment. But a lot of people I considered assholes, bullies, people who made my life downright unpleasant? They've grown up to be average, generally law abiding college students. Not a god damned one of them deserved to die for their behavior.

I think this kid could have found a better way to handle the situation. Borrow a cell phone, buy cheap pepper spray (yes, a school would prohibit it but any knife capable of nicking the heart probably violates school regulation too), not leave school, punch the kid in the throat (yes, it could kill too, I know)...I don't know. Maybe it was the only answer he could see. But stabbing a person in the heart...that can't be the absolute best answer to a high school fight.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 08:55:35 pm by Kit Walker »
"Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot

*Actual title from the Universal Life Church Monastery, the outfit that ordained me as a wedding officiant.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2012, 09:13:17 pm »
I'm clearly in the minority opinion here.

Hey, maybe you could try actually reading all of the posts in the thread?

You've addressed nothing actually said towards you.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2012, 09:23:39 pm »
What I find stupid is your trivialization of the issue & the ridiculous standards to which you're holding the victim. It's all harmless horse play until the fight goes farther than that "17 year old dumbass" anticipated & someone ends up dead. But there's absolutely no chance of that ha--oh yeah.

Honestly, even WITH a knife, people lose fights with ONE assailant, let alone a whole gang, & you expect him to...borrow a cell phone? For what, calling his mom?

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2012, 09:31:11 pm »
how you expect a teenager to "find a better way to handle the situation" in the middle of a gang of bullies while being beaten up i don't know, not much you can do in that situation, especially after the first stab didn't deter the guy.  It's tragic, and things shouldn't have gone that far, but it's not the kid's fault they did.
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.

Offline Auri-El

• Raxacoricofallapatorian
  • Pope
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2012, 09:32:21 pm »
Of course the kid didn't deserve to die. I agree with that. I'm going to use an analogy from one of my favorite books, that a counselor used with a victim of bullying who killed his attacker: if a kid deliberately scared some horses, and they stampeded and trampled him to death, the horses are not at fault. The kid is. No, he didn't deserve death, but that doesn't mean it wasn't his own damn fault. saying the bullying victim should've found a better way kind of sounds like blaming him for the incident. He didn't start the fight, he obviously didn't mean it to go that far, and I highly doubt he stabbed the other kid in the heart on purpose. It was, from what I read in the article, pure survival instinct.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2012, 09:32:34 pm »
The bully absolutely did not deserve to die.  However, the kid being beat up had a right to defend himself.  I'm glad the courts didn't go after him.  As others have said, the tragedy here is that the situation wasn't resolved long before it escalated to that point.  There needs to be an investigation into why the school didn't do anything prior to this situation, and if they couldn't, what can be done to give them the ability to deal with these situations.  I'm upset both for Nuno for dying over this, and for Saavedra for having to kill someone to defend himself.  The focus now needs to be how to prevent this from happening in the future.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Vene

• AKA Vene-Eye the Science Guy
  • Pope
  • Patronizing Know-It-All Snotnose
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2012, 09:35:45 pm »
What I find stupid is your trivialization of the issue & the ridiculous standards to which you're holding the victim. It's all harmless horse play until the fight goes farther than that "17 year old dumbass" anticipated & someone ends up dead. But there's absolutely no chance of that ha--oh yeah.

Honestly, even WITH a knife, people lose fights with ONE assailant, let alone a whole gang, & you expect him to...borrow a cell phone? For what, calling his mom?
Oh, but he could have magiced up some pepper spray.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2012, 09:39:58 pm »
Or a taser.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2012, 09:42:33 pm »
WAIT! I GET IT NOW! HE USES THE PHONE TO CALL PEPPER SPRAY COP!

WHY AM I YELLING?!

Napoleon the Clown

« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2012, 10:23:16 pm »
Because we all know it's easier for a teenager to get pepper spray than to get a knife. And pepper spray is totally the best option for deterring someone from using lethal force on you. Totally. Because lethal force should be met with something that will cause pain to the person using it and still risk not doing anything to stop the fucker trying to kill them.

Wait, given getting stabbed tends to fucking hurt maybe pepper spray would have been a less than effective tactic.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2012, 10:41:49 pm »
Nuno was an asshole, but I feel bad for his family who will have to suffer because of him being an asshole.

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2012, 10:52:10 pm »
Nuno was an asshole, but I feel bad for his family who will have to suffer because of him being an asshole.

I find the family more assholish then the kid.  It's obvious from the article that their "precious" can do no wrong and totally didn't bully anyone.