Author Topic: French teenager's skirt too long for school  (Read 14056 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: French teenager's skirt too long for school
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2015, 11:23:34 am »
Apologies, should've added a sarcasm tag or something, as I was mostly taking the piss.  Still, there's such a thing as being too cautious, and I think France has kinda danced right across it.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2015, 01:53:11 pm »
You can't just ban headscarves and then turn around and allow other things and be considered anything other than a bigoted laughingstock.

You can ban face-concealing headwear for entirely secular reasons. This is the usual interpretation for banning them in schools.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2015, 02:02:11 pm »
You can't just ban headscarves and then turn around and allow other things and be considered anything other than a bigoted laughingstock.

You can ban face-concealing headwear for entirely secular reasons. This is the usual interpretation for banning them in schools.

Except, the item in question doesn't conceal the face, only the hair.

I can understand banning niqab, but banning hijab is unreasonable.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2015, 03:39:20 pm »
Pigggggggxactly.  Unlike the typical American dumbass, I differentiate between your normal headscarves and stuff like a niqab.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2015, 05:35:23 pm »
May I ask what the problem is with me wearing a kippa in public (which I do)?
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2015, 05:58:14 pm »

it's a religious symbol, and in a country that prides itself on its non-religiosity it can be seen as a mark of disrespect. nothing more. i don't go around shoving my atheism down people's throats (hell, aside from my views on religious garb, i think i'm pretty open-minded on different faiths), so i don't want anyone's views forced unto me. most french think like that, and some can be weirded out by seeing a kippa because it's just so uncommon...

although due to the holocaust happening, jews are pretty much exempt from repercussions. france has major survivor's guilt about world war two, and because jews are seen perhaps underservedly as the martyrs of the war, they are mostly free do go on about their business as they please. unlike muslims who are today's buttmonkeys.

nothing goes hand in hand like xenophobia and anti-religious sentiment. but it's ok, because the french only hate people that are different than them.

*goes raging*

eta: were i living in another country, i would have no problem seeing religious garb in public (like when i lived in the usa). however, secular law trumps spiritual law, and france's laws are pretty open and shut about this topic.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 05:59:47 pm by guizonde »
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2015, 07:21:24 pm »
Religious garb is often meant as a personal preference, rather than an attempt to showcase your religion to the public. The "I don't want anyone's views forced on me" line of logic can be applied to plenty of other topics, as well, from politics to fashion.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Art Vandelay

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2015, 08:13:52 pm »
I must say, France sounds like my kind of place. Well, almost. Slap a nice, big demerit tax on all religious institutions and then it'll be perfect.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2015, 08:14:26 pm »
Religious garb is often meant as a personal preference, rather than an attempt to showcase your religion to the public. The "I don't want anyone's views forced on me" line of logic can be applied to plenty of other topics, as well, from politics to fashion.

if there's one thing i hate, it's student syndicalists spewing political views. i may have a problem with prozelytes in general.

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2015, 08:30:52 pm »

it's a religious symbol, and in a country that prides itself on its non-religiosity it can be seen as a mark of disrespect. nothing more. i don't go around shoving my atheism down people's throats (hell, aside from my views on religious garb, i think i'm pretty open-minded on different faiths), so i don't want anyone's views forced unto me. most french think like that, and some can be weirded out by seeing a kippa because it's just so uncommon...

although due to the holocaust happening, jews are pretty much exempt from repercussions. france has major survivor's guilt about world war two, and because jews are seen perhaps underservedly as the martyrs of the war, they are mostly free do go on about their business as they please. unlike muslims who are today's buttmonkeys.

nothing goes hand in hand like xenophobia and anti-religious sentiment. but it's ok, because the french only hate people that are different than them.

*goes raging*

eta: were i living in another country, i would have no problem seeing religious garb in public (like when i lived in the usa). however, secular law trumps spiritual law, and france's laws are pretty open and shut about this topic.

So, wait, the french actually see wearing religious garb as forcing a point of view down someone's throat? I sincerely hope no one wears a shirt or anything for a brand or anything like that or else my head will explode.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2015, 08:54:46 pm »

*goes raging*

So, wait, the french actually see wearing religious garb as forcing a point of view down someone's throat? I sincerely hope no one wears a shirt or anything for a brand or anything like that or else my head will explode.

yup, some things are more easily forced onto others. brands act as status symbols (as everywhere), so whenever somebody's sporting the latest *insert fashionable brand here*, they're saying "i'm richer than you, peasant". real high quality goods don't have a visible logo anymore because of the plebe's tendency to buy the flashiest symbols. but let's be honest, there wouldn't be a difference in the status quo if there had been massacres in the name of adidas instead of religion. adidas would be banned too. just look at nazi regalia. yes, i went there.

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2015, 09:06:51 pm »

*goes raging*

yup, some things are more easily forced onto others. brands act as status symbols (as everywhere), so whenever somebody's sporting the latest *insert fashionable brand here*, they're saying "i'm richer than you, peasant". real high quality goods don't have a visible logo anymore because of the plebe's tendency to buy the flashiest symbols. but let's be honest, there wouldn't be a difference in the status quo if there had been massacres in the name of adidas instead of religion. adidas would be banned too. just look at nazi regalia. yes, i went there.

Wow, y'all motherfuckers got some thin assed skin.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2015, 09:11:31 pm »

*goes raging*

Well, what do you expect from a country with an irrational hatred of loanwords?

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2015, 09:27:39 pm »

*goes raging*

Well, what do you expect from a country with an irrational hatred of loanwords?

and plagiarism, and the british, and the italian, and the spanish, and the romanians, and the arabs, and everything not french, and waxy cheese, and american wine, and anglo-saxon music, and vegans, and fascists, and communists, and monarchists, and anarchists, and commonlaw, and uncommonlaw, and....

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2015, 09:45:13 pm »
Actually, all of guiszonde's posts here, and in other threads, have simply re-enforced my exceedingly high opinion of him as a forum member. He has an immensely valuable point of view to share with all of us, unique in having been raised in France - a very fine country, as first world nations go, of late. And he has not only survived living in the US, but has completed his education here, and in that time span, has kept his sanity. This is no small accomplishment. I have described the US to even Australian nationals as fucking well being a virtual Mars - another planet. Having McDonalds in your home land does not adequately prepare you for just how fucking idiotically schizo this place really is. Guizonde has kept his identity intact after all that as a modern French man, and possesses the inherent wisdom and talent to be able to see through all the shit and yet glean the best of both very divergent world views for our collective forum-member edification.

tldr: guizonde is the shit, and he's very patiently and politely explaining difficult, French, out-of-US-cultural-paradigm CONCEPTS that just fucking press our buttons, through no fault of his own. Yet, over all, France is the more Democratic country of the two, faults included. How do we scream about anti-hijab laws, when Baltimore burns for home-grown, even more fucked up reasons?
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.