Author Topic: The Way We Never Were - by Stephanie Coontz  (Read 4739 times)

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
Re: The Way We Never Were - by Stephanie Coontz
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 12:12:45 pm »
No, the 50s were good for the working class, too. Almost no unemployment, rapid income growth in line with GDP growth, improvements in living standards, rapidly declining private debt, improving education, social welfare and the least economic inequality America has ever had.

It sucked if you were weren't male and white. But America has never been as good for the working poor.

That depends upon where you were:  In the UK, while people may have never had it so good, there was still conscription (until 1963) and the rebuilding campaign was still putting many in prefabs that were little better than what they'd livedin before.
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 02:46:50 pm »
I know a lot of you are familiar enough with the Bible at least to show informed skepticism of it.  One only needs to read some of King Solomon's laments on how the world's going to hell and it's not like it used to be.   
Thoughts like that aren't new, and they'll carry on until humanity ceases to be entirely.

Then the cephlapods that take over will gripe about it.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 04:13:40 pm »
No, the 50s were good for the working class, too. Almost no unemployment, rapid income growth in line with GDP growth, improvements in living standards, rapidly declining private debt, improving education, social welfare and the least economic inequality America has ever had.

It sucked if you were weren't male and white. But America has never been as good for the working poor.

That depends upon where you were:  In the UK, while people may have never had it so good, there was still conscription (until 1963) and the rebuilding campaign was still putting many in prefabs that were little better than what they'd livedin before.

Same deal in Europe, too (as you can imagine). Getting the shit bombed out of you tends to have that effect on infastructure.

But it was fantastic in the States and Australia. Australian unemployment rate 1936= 25%. Australian unemployment rate 1945-1972= 1%.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 08:04:11 pm »
Quote from: Rudyard Kipling
"Romance is dead," the Cave Man cried.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline lighthorseman

• Argumentative Contrarian
  • On Probation
  • Bishop
  • Proud Y chromosome owner
    • Company of the Wolf
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 08:09:25 am »
Short answer is that people who enjoy being told the 50s were halcyon days of plenty, and fearing and not understanding the modern world, make up a huge voting bloc.
Let me make it real easy... if anyone is interested in my actual opinion, please ask, I'd love to talk to you. If you are interested in trying to catch me out in some sort of "gotcha, before you said 'many', but now you're saying 'lots', you totally shifted goal posts", then, I'm not playing.

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 09:39:22 am »
The Teddy Boys and Rockers of the 1950's probably had people in their 60's looking at them wondering what the hell was wrong with them as well.

Indeed, but anyone in their 60s back in the 1950s was almost certainly born in the Gay Nineties.
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.