Author Topic: Christians on this site?  (Read 20894 times)

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
Re: Christians on this site?
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2013, 04:36:21 pm »
My girlfriend's on this site, and she's Episcopalian.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Emperor Maximilian

• Neonate
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2013, 04:36:02 pm »
My girlfriend's on this site, and she's Episcopalian.
I'm Episcopalian too.  I consider myself a pretty religious guy, but fundies irk me.

Offline kiwimac

• Neonate
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2013, 10:26:21 pm »
And I'm around from time to time as well.
Bread for myself is a material question; bread for my neighbor is a spiritual question." Nicolai Berdyaev

Offline Rime

• Pope
  • Born too slow
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2013, 06:29:05 pm »
Well.  Last I checked, your CF profile had said "Science = God of Atheism"  It appears that you've mellowed out some (to my profound surprise), and I certainly hope it continues that there can be a dialogue as opposed to your previous reputation of trying to convert everybody to Christianity in a manner that pleases you, essentially being our High Priest where you dictate the wisdom and we all applaud. 

It's different than CF, for that the religious demographics are mostly shades of non-belief but they vary the same way from "Get rid of religion and most of our problems would vanish overnight" to "cool, you believe that, it's okay, I don't but I won't take a single thing about someone and make it the only thing."

Anyway, you asked what purpose this site served, I can't say for everyone, but it was a showcase of how you can use or defend religion to the point where people demonstrate that the people quoted look more like the High Priests that had your Savior executed than the renegade rabbi who sought to turn religion from a pair of shackles to a tool to sow a better mentality.  Leave it to people, though, to go right back to the way things were because it's so easy to turn it into a big game about who's getting the seat closest to Jesus.

To be clear, though, I've got problems with people on the mainpage who reply DIAF according to the Holy Gospel of Dawkins.   Sometimes I wished it was like when Allan was running the show and there wasn't a comments section.
And when we're done soul searching,
And we carry the weight and die for a cause.
Is misery made beautiful
Right before our eyes.

Mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2013, 12:36:28 am »
Well, I can't really speak for the Christians here, being nonreligious myself, but I think I can speak for most people here when I say that we have no problem with religion usually. Just the ones who abuse it (or the lack thereof) for their own ends. Let's be honest, not many people are gonna cry if Ronald E. Williams ends up playing in the six-lane.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline BigChrisfilm

• Apprentice
  • This just happend?
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2013, 02:07:57 pm »
Chris-

In my not-always-humble opinion, there are only two fundamental rules that Jesus ever taught: Love God and love your neighbor as yourself. These teachings permeate his parables and lessons. He never mentions anything about needing to profess a belief in him; he never says that people have to give up anything but their selfishness. The Good Samaritan never professes a belief in Jesus' divinity, yet he's held up in the story as an ideal for everyone to strive for. For historical context, the Samaritans were a sect that were feared and hated by mainstream Jews at the time; for Jesus to hold a Samaritan up as an example of ideal behavior would have shocked his audience.

Similarly, when the rich man's son asked, "What must I do to get to Heaven?" Jesus said, "Sell everything you own, give the money to the poor and follow me." Strict Biblical literalists have a lot of trouble with this passage, often claiming that Jesus was making a point about charity. I respectfully disagree; it's too simple for the deep, complex messages Jesus used his parables to convey. "The first shall be last, and the last, first." You want to find Heaven? Get over yourself. Stop worrying about what you want and look at everything the people around you lack. Do more than look: Help. The only thing wrong with having and enjoying luxury is when you let it blind you to the suffering around you.

The things that many Americans now consider fundamentals of Christianity are things that Jesus never spoke of, and indeed, wouldn't even recognize or would actively oppose. Opposition to homosexual rights, opposition to women's rights, opposition to governmental assistance for the needy, the myth of the "self-made man", enforcing Christianity as a state religion...the list goes on. Just on that last point, I have only one thing to say: "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's and give to God what is God's." Additionally, the insistence on "justification through faith" is used as an excuse for all sorts of things that have demonstrable negative impacts on other people's lives. Every time Jesus speaks of judgement, he refers to judgement based on what a person DID, not what they believed.

I'm agnostic. I think the only afterlife we're guaranteed to have is the impact we leave on others; anything more is an unprovable hypothesis at this time. I'm not convinced Jesus existed as described in the Bible. I recognize that, while the teachings written in the Gospels were far ahead of their time, they were still very much a product of their time...would you honestly tell someone to visit a priest and have themselves anointed with oil in lieu of seeing a doctor? Or that women should only be considered in the light of how helpful they are to men? I draw inspiration and guidance from multiple different sources and traditions. But I consider myself a Christian in the same vein as the Good Samaritan...I try to help people however I can, even if it means a little immediate inconvenience. I'm far from perfect, but I don't have to be...I just try to make sure people have what they need and let the rest take care of itself.

As for the mocking and making fun...as Jesus showed when calling people out on their hypocrisy, what people often need most and want least is a swift kick in the ass to shake them out of their complacency. If this site could be said to have any higher purpose, I think that would be it. To shake people up, get them to think about what they've been taught, and make them DECIDE what they believe, rather than parroting what their parents or pastor say.

You made a lot of statements about several different things I'd like to talk with you about. Would you be ok with me starting a new thread to discuss just one issue at a time with you? I feel if we focus on one it will be much better than trying to have 3 or 4 different conversations at the same time. If so which point that you made would you like to discuss first?

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2013, 03:16:12 pm »
I'm okay with it. Just don't be surprised if other people chime in. We can start wherever you like.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2013, 04:43:30 pm »
PMs? What the fuck are those?

QueenofHearts

« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2013, 04:55:03 pm »

Lithp, you so silly!

Offline BigChrisfilm

• Apprentice
  • This just happend?
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2013, 05:01:04 pm »

I'd like to do it publicly, so others can also join in on the debate.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2013, 07:06:01 pm »
Lithp? Who the fuck is that? Public? What the fuck is that?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2013, 07:32:06 pm »
Magnets?  How do they work?

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2013, 01:42:55 am »
Tides come in, tides go out.  DUH.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2013, 02:35:29 am »
Magnets?  How do they work?

Well... Each magnet has a "north pole" and a "south pole," these two are REALLY attracted to each other. So much in fath that whenever you bring a N-pole anywhere near an S-pole they are like "OMG I love that dude I WANNA HAVE YOUR BABIES!" and then they just glomp and never want to let go.

But if you try to put two N-poles or two S-poles together they are like "What the Murgelgloop!? That is an N-pole, but I thought I was the N-pole! THIS DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!!!" They simply cannot comprehend the situation and that is why two similar poles repel each other.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Dan

• Apprentice
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2013, 01:28:51 pm »
Are you suggesting there are no gay magnets?