Author Topic: Harriet Tubman to go on US $20 bill  (Read 6317 times)

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
Re: Harriet Tubman to go on US $20 bill
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2016, 11:13:14 pm »
Out of curiosity why was Jackson on the 20 in the first place?  Besides genocide what did he do to justify getting the same treatment as Lincoln or Washington?

I believe he was a Founding Father.  Other than that, nothing other than being known for calling people out to duels.

He was not. The last of the Founding Father presidents stepped down in 1824, and Jackson didn't take office until 1828. But the reason he's on the bill dates back to 1928. That's when he was put on the bill, you see, and Jackson was seen as a different figure than he is nowadays. To quote the Washington Post:

But Feller, the "Papers of Andrew Jackson" editor, said it's not surprising that the Treasury Department of 1928 would see Jackson as someone worthy of the honor."It's actually astonishing how completely the generalized public image has changed and how rapidly it changed," the historian said of Jackson's legacy. From the late 19th century through the 1960s, Feller said, Jackson was seen by most Americans as a "champion of the common man, a symbol of democracy," and "second only to Abraham Lincoln as the champion of the perpetual union" of the United States of America. In fact, Feller notes: "Abraham loved to quote [Jackson]" during the Civil War, because of "Jackson's striking proclamation against nullification" of the Union.

Naturally, as Native American voices began to speak up, public perception of Jackson changed just a little bit.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2016, 12:23:05 am »
Eeh, honestly, I don't remember much about history, except that Jackson was a racist prick.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2016, 12:27:58 am »
I looked up to him in middle school for the sole reason one of my fantasies was taking out a cane and smacking one of the bullies on the head, shouting "Vile little cretin! We duel at dawn!"

Over the years I realized he wasn't a very good person, but it takes a special caliber of President to react to someone frothingly insane trying to assassinate you...by taking up your cane and beating the fuck outta him.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer