Author Topic: Worst examples of designated heroes/villains  (Read 14877 times)

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
Re: Worst examples of designated heroes/villains
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2014, 12:59:07 pm »
There's also Tim Burton's Batman movies, where Batman blows up a power station full of security guards who don't work for the villain and puts a grenade down the trousers of an unarmed man, because he dared to punch Batman in the face.

Maybe some other Batman media play with the idea of blurred moral lines and how far can the hero go before becoming no better than the criminals he fights, but I seriously doubt Burton's films were going for that.

Burton is famous for saying that he'd never read the comics and held comics in general in absolute contempt.

Batman was a bit of a werid choice for him then.  I guess a job's a job.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2014, 03:35:51 pm »
Would the radical feminist from Sinfest count? Some of them do have the potential to be good characters (especially Xanthe) but I can't help feeling like they mostly exist to make strawman arguments and parrot the author's views on radical feminism.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2014, 04:31:52 pm »
I got a good one Bane from Dark Knight Rises.
He doesn't really act like Bane and indeed if not for the whole bomb thing would probably be the good guy

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2014, 05:13:11 pm »
He doesn't really act like Bane and indeed if not for the whole bomb thing would probably be the good guy
That's because he was trying to trick the citizens of Gothem into thinking he was an okay guy, a champion of the people and whatnot, so that it would be a more effective message when he blew them up. By pretending to be a good guy, he was being even worse than if he'd just kablooeyed them to start with.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2014, 07:09:05 pm »
That's because he was trying to trick the citizens of Gothem into thinking he was an okay guy, a champion of the people and whatnot, so that it would be a more effective message when he blew them up. By pretending to be a good guy, he was being even worse than if he'd just kablooeyed them to start with.

In short, I think you missed the point kef.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2014, 01:42:03 am »
Would the radical feminist from Sinfest count? Some of them do have the potential to be good characters (especially Xanthe) but I can't help feeling like they mostly exist to make strawman arguments and parrot the author's views on radical feminism.
Most of their interactions with other characters in the comic are pretty horrible and other characters are being reduced to straw characters just so that things would be easier for the "feminists." Which is a shame considering that the comic is still pretty good much of the time.

Also funny that the comic had a few jokes with the "feminazi" plotline. Which was tongue in cheek parody rather than strawmen-feminists.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2014, 01:52:04 am »
In short, I think you missed the point kef.
Blame cracked