Author Topic: It's my religious freedom!  (Read 1599 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
It's my religious freedom!
« on: May 23, 2017, 01:44:51 am »
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/female-genital-mutilation-religious-right-us-first-case-fgm-detriot-michigan-a7748736.html

Two Detroit doctors, along with the wife of one of the doctors, have been charged with female genital mutilation.

Their defence?

Religious freedom.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Art Vandelay

Re: It's my religious freedom!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 02:00:35 am »
Honestly, "religious freedom" should not be valid legal defence of any kind. "My imaginary friend said so" should not give people a pass to do anything that is otherwise illegal.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 02:15:10 am »
Honestly, "religious freedom" should not be valid legal defence of any kind. "My imaginary friend said so" should not give people a pass to do anything that is otherwise illegal.

If the defence succeeds, I can only imagine just how many people will claim to belong to a religion requiring them to smoke marijuana...

But seriously, this is a case of "Your freedom ends where those girls' private parts begin."
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 03:25:40 pm »
I really hope this defense fails.  I really do.

Ironbite-cause this needs to end.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 03:36:06 pm »
I hope it fails, and then I hope a family whose kid contracted an STI from a mohel who sucked the blood off the tip of said infant son's penis after the ritual circumcision sues said mohel for, effectively, aggravated sexual assault, if not rape.

(Up here, for instance, failing to disclose that you have an STI before having sex makes the sex nonconsensual since the partner was not fully aware of the potential consequences of the act.)

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 09:57:01 am »
Can I shove a running chainsaw up someone's ass in the name of religious freedom? Because I really, really want to right now.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 10:37:16 am »
Only if you're a Christian. And they're not. (Catholics and Mormons don't count)
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".