Author Topic: Springfield's location finally revealed by Simpson creator  (Read 3011 times)

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
Springfield's location finally revealed by Simpson creator
« on: April 11, 2012, 07:59:30 am »
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/simpsons-creator-reveals-real-springfield-220332535.html

23 years after the start of the series, Matt Groening has finally revealed the location of the town.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
Re: Springfield's location finally revealed by Simpson creator
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 09:58:16 am »
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/simpsons-creator-reveals-real-springfield-220332535.html

23 years after the start of the series, Matt Groening has finally revealed the location of the town.
Oregon really?  I thought teh values etc seemed more like KT

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 06:51:50 pm »
They did once call the Simpsons a "Northern Kentucky" family.

Having said that, this is interesting.  I think it's a moot point honestly.  Also, since when did they change the numbers from 742 Evergreen Terrace?  Is that a misprint, or am I just out of the loop?
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Whore of Spamylon

• Bishop
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 11:23:32 pm »
I remember thinking that it was Oregon several years ago.  One reason was because there as a flashback sequence in one episode in which a younger Homer and Marge go "across the state border" into Washington.  I think it was to get married.  I think the second reason had to do with the fact that it was hinted at in one or more episodes that their town was close to the ocean, though I can't remember what those hints were.

“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.” - William Gibson

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 11:26:06 pm »
At the risk of sounding like a hipster, I thought it was already pretty well known the he grew up in the Portland/Eugene area and took a lot of inspiation from it, and that he named a lot of characters after streets there. There was even a local celebrity when he was growing up named Rusty The Clown.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 01:26:07 am »
I did research this a bit (several years ago) when I was wondering which Springfield it could be, and lots of folks theorized that it was in Oregon because of Groening's childhood there.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 01:59:52 am »
I remember thinking that it was Oregon several years ago.  One reason was because there as a flashback sequence in one episode in which a younger Homer and Marge go "across the state border" into Washington.  I think it was to get married.  I think the second reason had to do with the fact that it was hinted at in one or more episodes that their town was close to the ocean, though I can't remember what those hints were.

Uh, they got a shotgun wedding over the border in something more reminiscent of Nevada.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 08:00:35 pm »
Nope.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Exclusive-Simpsons-Springfield-Not-in-Oregon-1045968.aspx

The Simpsons creator Matt Groening confirms exclusively to TV Guide Magazine that his recent statements were misinterpreted — he did not reveal that his long-running animated Fox comedy was set in Oregon.

"I never said Springfield was in Oregon," Groening says. "I said Springfield was the name of my sled."

Groening is responding to rampant reports that claimed he had suddenly revealed one of the biggest secrets of The Simpsons' 23-season history. In an interview with Smithsonian magazine, Groening confirmed something that he had actually mentioned several times in the past: That he named the show's setting after Springfield, Oregon.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 04:35:06 am »
"I never said Springfield was in Oregon," Groening says. "I said Springfield was the name of my sled."
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.