Author Topic: Apple treats its domestic employees like cattle too  (Read 2258 times)

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
Apple treats its domestic employees like cattle too
« on: June 23, 2012, 07:22:23 pm »
From the NY Times

Worldwide, its stores sold $16 billion in merchandise.

But most of Apple’s employees enjoyed little of that wealth. While consumers tend to think of Apple’s headquarters in Cupertino, Calif., as the company’s heart and soul, a majority of its workers in the United States are not engineers or executives with hefty salaries and bonuses but rather hourly wage earners selling iPhones and MacBooks.

About 30,000 of the 43,000 Apple employees in this country work in Apple Stores, as members of the service economy, and many of them earn about $25,000 a year. They work inside the world’s fastest growing industry, for the most valuable company, run by one of the country’s most richly compensated chief executives, Tim Cook. Last year, he received stock grants, which vest over a 10-year period, that at today’s share price would be worth more than $570 million.

This is a rather long article, it also talks about how the tech boom has really only furthered the lower-paying retail sector jobs.  But I recommend you read it, whether you are an Apple user or not.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
Re: Apple treats its domestic employees like cattle too
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 08:27:20 pm »
Eh... name a big company that DOESN'T treat it's domestic sector employees like cattle. 
* SpaceProg is cynical today

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 08:42:09 pm »
Wait... you mean Apple is literally a cult, it's not just a joke?

Color me surprised.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

shykid

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 09:14:17 pm »
Sounds just like Scientology. Hyperwealthy bigwigs making themselves even richer using wage slavery to exploit their carefully brainwashed followers.

Offline Iczerfour

• Spawn of Pinkamena and Flutterbat
  • Pope
  • Now won't you stop moving, interrupting's not nice
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 11:32:33 pm »
not surprised..

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 11:44:17 pm »
Colour me surprised? *snark*
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 04:32:14 am »
Eh... name a big company that DOESN'T treat it's domestic sector employees like cattle. 
* SpaceProg is cynical today

I can't think of any. While it mentions the 30000 of the 43000 who are treated like normal retail slaves, what about the remaining 13000 who are not?

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 09:36:34 am »
On the plus side, at least they're earning $25,000/year.  Most retail jobs pay minimum wage.  If you assume a 40-hour work week every week of the year, that only comes out to $15,080/year (going by Federal minimum wage of $7.25/hr).

So either they're paying employees a good bit more than minimum wage (yay!) or they're giving a lot of overtime pay (yay for obeying the law, boo for making employees work overtime).  Either way, Apple's a shitty place to work, but not as shitty as Wal-Mart.

</devil's advocate>
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!