Author Topic: 3 in 10 Americans believe armed rebellion might be necessary soon  (Read 4326 times)

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
Re: 3 in 10 Americans believe armed rebellion might be necessary soon
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 08:18:39 pm »
COLOUR ME NOT SHOCKED.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline Kain

• God
  • The Alkaline one
In paranoia I find genius / But the ice-dreams have come
with spiritless consequence / A hatchet has been hidden
between my eyes / A hatchet gift-wrapped in paranoia / A
wooden heart never bleeds / A wooden heart never bleeds,
yet inextricable thoughts still weave / Introspection
fabricated for battle / No time has been wasted
/ Neuroleptic seconds marry electroconvulsive hours / In
the cranial freezer, paranoia is the bastard and I
find genius Petrify / Paralyze

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 08:23:37 pm »
Yeah most of these people that believe in this impending "rebellion" tend to be of a conspiracy theorist mindset. Not to mention that an armed rebellion would be squashed due to the military being a far more, stronger, harder and large complex to wipe them out. I mean how are you going to fight an army with a bunch of guns when they got those big ass tanks, planes, bombs, missiles etc. not to mention that we have some of the biggest intel branches in the world.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline worlder

• Bishop
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 08:27:25 pm »
Yeah most of these people that believe in this impending "rebellion" tend to be of a conspiracy theorist mindset. Not to mention that an armed rebellion would be squashed due to the military being a far more, stronger, harder and large complex to wipe them out. I mean how are you going to fight an army with a bunch of guns when they got those big ass tanks, planes, bombs, missiles etc. not to mention that we have some of the biggest intel branches in the world.

Black market.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 08:34:57 pm »

While I don't think such a rebellion would outright WIN, I do think it would be possible to draw it out so long that it becomes a win by default. Vietnam and Afghanistan both show the effectiveness of guerilla armies who know what they're doing.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline worlder

• Bishop
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 08:38:31 pm »
But is the gun store hardware going to cut it?

Or do we have to rely on questionable assistance?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 08:39:46 pm »

While I don't think such a rebellion would outright WIN, I do think it would be possible to draw it out so long that it becomes a win by default. Vietnam and Afghanistan both show the effectiveness of guerilla armies who know what they're doing.

Thing is, the US military knows the US a lot better than they knew Vietnam or Afghanistan. Familiarity with the terrain (and unfamiliarity with such on the part of the opposing force) plays a role in the effectiveness of any guerrilla action.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 08:50:05 pm »
But they think that such a rebellion is GOING to happen in the next decade or so. Lunatic fringe groups of conspiracy theorists exist everywhere but 30% is less a lunatic fringe and more a terrifying big chunk of the voting public. These are registered voters, meaning their inane stupid crazy BULLSHIT controls 30% of the political future of the country. THEY THINK THE GOVERNMENT MADE UP A STORY ABOUT THE MASS MURDER OF SCHOOLKIDS FOR POLITICAL REASONS. THEY THINK THEIR GUN HUMPERS STAND A CHANCE AGAINST ESSENTIALLY THE BIGGEST AND WEALTHIEST MILITARY IN THE WORLD. These people are unstable and they're an increasingly influential chunk.

It's scary and worth worrying about.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 08:53:25 pm »
*raises an eyebrow*

EIGHTEEN PERCENT of Democrats say this, too?

Forgive me for not jumping on the "Holy shit" bandwagon but something's fishy here.  Not because of the above, but because of a few things.

Namely, an armed rebellion from what?  Some people think this means corporations.  Some people think this means government.

How do we know how many Republicans thought along those lines, too?  Independents?

Finally, what was the sample size of this study?  What was the selection process?

How many people declined to participate?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 09:25:37 pm »
Personally, I hope they just get it over with and try.

The suffering afflicted to the nutsos would be legendary.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 09:32:20 pm »
*raises an eyebrow*

EIGHTEEN PERCENT of Democrats say this, too?

Forgive me for not jumping on the "Holy shit" bandwagon but something's fishy here.  Not because of the above, but because of a few things.

Namely, an armed rebellion from what?  Some people think this means corporations.  Some people think this means government.

How do we know how many Republicans thought along those lines, too?  Independents?

Finally, what was the sample size of this study?  What was the selection process?

How many people declined to participate?

The sample size was 863 registered voters. I don't know how many people declined to answer questions, but they were randomly selected nationwide. The article has tables regarding two questions specifically (about Sandy Hook and about 'armed rebellion') detailing which people agreed and disagreed, how they were registered to vote, their sex, and their level of education. It doesn't link to the study but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find more about it online.

It's not a large sample size--I think the generally accepted number for a 'sample size' of the population is a thousand--but it's enough to be scary.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 10:55:25 pm »
In which case, forgive me for not wanting to break out my afraid face, but 863 is quite frankly a shitty sample size for what was being considered.

Something along the lines of 2,000 people would have been an improvement.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 11:36:52 pm »
This isn't really shocking given the morons they help in electing to congress.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 12:51:28 am »
...less then 1,000 people were sampled in this?  Yeah this is flawed from the get go.

Ironbite-10,000 would be a better sample size in regards to the US population.