Author Topic: Australian RCC abuse victims required to repay compensation  (Read 5679 times)

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
ABC Australia documentary reveals that if you got touched up by a pederast priest then they'd pay you out-but if you ever took the bastard to court you'd have to pay it back-with interest!

"In the event that the releaser (victim)...commences or causes ... any criminal proceedings ... that forthwith upon commencement of any such action...he will repay to the trustees the agreed settlement sum together with interest at a rate of 10 per cent per annum ..."

Australian Archbishop George Pell's response to why a single American state diocese paid orders of magnitude greater than than the Australian arm of the Catholic church in compensation to victims of abuse? America is a litigious society, bad Americans!

Oh, he's reportedly also said that “some of the victims themselves aren’t entirely blameless,”. Lovely.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
Re: Australian RCC abuse victims required to repay compensation
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 07:41:52 am »
Can anyone explain to me why and how anyone can still follow the Catholic Church?  You'd think everyone would have abandoned them years ago after all this shit.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 07:46:04 am »
Can we just forcefully dismantle the bloody thing already? It's proven itself time and time again to be a criminal organisation, what with protecting kiddy fiddlers from the police. At the very least, can't the federal government just seize all Catholic Church property, ban their organisation from the country and strongly encourage all others to do the same?

There's just no good reason for anyone to keep tolerating their shenanigans.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 08:17:51 am »
The Australian govt. (and other governments) should just put the kabosh on all this! Certainly governments have more power than some stupid church denomination (even if it's huge)! DAMN!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 11:13:19 am »
If Vatican City is a sovereign state, with diplomats and the Swiss Guard as defense department...WTH, declare war on it ;D
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 11:20:04 am »
Can anyone explain to me why and how anyone can still follow the Catholic Church?  You'd think everyone would have abandoned them years ago after all this shit.

I guess most Catholics prefer the religious/devotional/ritual elements. They separate the faith from the jerks running it. Even Stephen Colbert is a devout practicing Catholic & even a Sunday School teacher....and he's a Progressive who doesn't buy all the stupider social/sexual teachings! Let's not forget those Catholic Sisters. Catholicism, as a religion, for the most part, is fine....it's the idiots running it that's the problem.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 11:23:46 am »
If Vatican City is a sovereign state, with diplomats and the Swiss Guard as defense department...WTH, declare war on it ;D
Well, that could be a problem. The people who have to annex it would be the Italians. They don't exactly have a great track record when it comes to even rudimentary military competence.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 11:34:12 am »
Well, that could be a problem. The people who have to annex it would be the Italians. They don't exactly have a great track record when it comes to even rudimentary military competence.

Granted, Italy's small potatoes as far as military might is concerned but I'm sure a small city state would be easily defeated by a full-blown nation.

I guess this is why the RCC tends to do whatever with impunity. The Vatican is more-or-less a separate, independent, sovereign country. However, an quick invasion & annexation may be just what would be needed to reform the Catholic Church and put a kabosh on the kid-fiddling! If the Church can't adapt & grow with the world then it'll fade away. They must know this! The Catholic Faith has a right to exist but if they hold on to out-dated & detrimental ideas & attitudes and tolerate corruption in their midst, they need to be disciplined!

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 11:55:13 am »
Really, in the hypothetical case, any sovereign state can declare war on any other. And it need no longer be ordinance fired and boots on ground....I'd rather see a nation deploy an EMP against the Vatican's communications array, freeze any of their financial assets within the offended nation's area of control, and counter sue them in court.

Technically, the U.N. could sponsor sanctions, right? Or is Vatican City even a U.N. member state?
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 11:57:27 am »

Granted, Italy's small potatoes as far as military might is concerned but I'm sure a small city state would be easily defeated by a full-blown nation.

You'd think, but Italy will almost certainly find a way fuck it up. You know, Italian tanks have seven gears. One forwards and the other six for reverse.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 12:12:11 pm »
Or they would better deploy bullet-proofed custom Lamborghini's into the fray. Stylish, and more effective  ;D.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 01:10:40 pm »
Hey can you guys tell me of the latest major religion to just...fade away?

Ironbite-people cling to their outdated ideals even after they prove to be utterly stupid.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 01:32:47 pm »
Hey can you guys tell me of the latest major religion to just...fade away?

Ironbite-people cling to their outdated ideals even after they prove to be utterly stupid.

The Greek Reli--

No, there are still people who follow that...

The Rom--

No, wait, that too...

The Nors--

Nope, still alive and well, albeit in a state that no one is sure of its veracity due to Christian monks, and getting its religious symbols 'stolen' by the Neo-Nazis, too.

The Egyp--

Wait aren't there still cults for Egyptian Gods?

Uh......

Hm.........

Er...................

I can't think of anything.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 01:42:51 pm »
Aztec religion with human sacrifices... gone.

wrightway

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 01:44:53 pm »
As far as you know.