Author Topic: The Burka Avenger  (Read 5934 times)

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
The Burka Avenger
« on: July 25, 2013, 03:25:11 am »
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: The Burka Avenger
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 03:58:14 am »
...Ok.

The series is set in Halwapur, a fictional town nestled in the soaring mountains and verdant valleys of northern Pakistan. The Burka Avenger's true identity is Jiya, whose adopted father, Kabbadi Jan, taught her the karate moves she uses to defeat her enemies. When not garbed as her alter ego, Jiya does not wear a burka, or even a less conservative headscarf over her hair.
I was kinda wondering what is her "Clark Kent-suit" if her "super-costume" is a burkha.

The main bad guys are Vadero Pajero, a balding, corrupt politician who wears a dollar sign-shaped gold medallion around his neck, and Baba Bandook, an evil magician with a bushy black beard and mustache who is meant to resemble a Taliban commander.

It's always a dollar sign. Even in countries that have different currencies. But affter seeing his picture I have to admit that the main villain does not look like the wannabe gangsta-billionaire that was my first impression.

Not that imposing when it comes to villain looks.
These guys on the other hand:

I guess this is why the combined militaries of USA and her allies have not been able to dislodge the Taliban from Afghanistan. Their boss is a magician and even the rest of them look like they mean business.
Well except for the guy in a skirt/kilt.

Im still not sure if I'll ever bother to watch the show-OMIGOD THEY HAVE A ROBOT WITH A MUSTACHE!

AND HE IS CALLED ROOBAT! I AM SO WATCHING THIS SHOW!
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 08:02:29 pm »
This actually doesn't seem like it will suck assballs.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Indikins

• Pope
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 08:42:16 pm »
Uh...if this show comes to Australia, I will watch the bajeezus out of it. Seriously, a Muslim superhero? And Muslim character in a kids' cartoon?  8)

Only problem is that I can imagine fundie parents everywhere throwing screaming tantrums the moment they catch wind of this show being aired in their country.
I once had a nightmare about chickens pecking me to death on my driveway. I told my sister to save herself.

This is the #1 nightmare.

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 09:58:48 pm »
This si so awesome! I hope this comes to Canada. Or at least the internet. I totally gotta watch this now!  :D

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 07:49:47 pm »
I've always thought that burkas would be ideal for undercover work. You could probably hide a sizable gun down there.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 12:53:26 pm »
Uh...if this show comes to Australia, I will watch the bajeezus out of it. Seriously, a Muslim superhero? And Muslim character in a kids' cartoon?  8)

Only problem is that I can imagine fundie parents everywhere throwing screaming tantrums the moment they catch wind of this show being aired in their country.

Especially since said heroine is somewhat of a feminist from what it sounds like. Fundies don't seem to like that very much but yeah I'd like to see their reaction if the show made it to the Nickelodeon channel or another network.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 03:00:58 pm »
If the show landed here I'd watch it.

Feminist Muslim Superhero Women?  Sounds like a recipe for AWESOME!

I am also completely fascinated by other people's cultures, and I love seeing it.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 07:50:46 pm »
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 08:00:28 pm »
Indeed it does!

I love how she turns the Burka from a symbol of subservience to a symbol of empowerment, and her weapons are her tools of education.

The symbolism works.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 12:25:46 am »
Okay, this looks pretty well done.  Hopefully the show is as good as the trailer makes it look.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Leafy

• Radical Radish
  • Pope
  • "My bunny will eat your soul!"
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 12:39:04 pm »
This will definitely go on my back list of shows to watch. xD

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 01:11:41 pm »
Well, maybe if they add English subtitles. Apparently it's in Urdu. Though I don't know why they would make an English trailer for an Urdu cartoon.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 12:56:42 am »
their indian audiance

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 01:01:00 am »