Author Topic: The Times, They Are A-Changin'...  (Read 5469 times)

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
The Times, They Are A-Changin'...
« on: October 20, 2013, 06:02:06 am »
...AND IT IS GLORIOUS!

The Corporate Fat Cats are turning on the GOP & Tea Party!
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/10/19/business-goes-war-tea-party/

A Democratic Lead in KY!
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/10/19/mitch-mcconnell-alison-lundergan-senate/

Tea Party approval ratings in the toilet!
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/10/19/tea-party-approval-ratings-poll/

The Democratic Party in The SOUTH is getting BIG MONEY!
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/10/18/southern-democrats-fundraising-2014/

A major Right-Wing Think Tank is crying "uncle"...
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/10/10/heritage-action-caves-on-debt-ceiling/

...as are THE FREAKING KOCH BROTHERS!
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/10/09/government-shutdown-strategy-abandoned-koch-brothers/

WHAT CAN I SAY, BUT....

AMERICA! AMERICA!
GOD SHED HIS GRACE ON THEE!
AND CROWN THY GOOD WITH BROTHERHOOD,
FROM SEA TO SHINING SEA!

Offline Id82

• The Beast
Re: The Times, They Are A-Changin'...
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 12:53:58 pm »
I'll believe it when I see it.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 03:26:29 pm »
Does anyone else have a word on this or is the vast sea of cynicism going to be rife, here?

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 03:40:15 pm »
I'm not counting on Democrats to be the standard-bearers for progressive thought. They pay lip service to us sometimes, but they're just as beholden to old money as the Republicans.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 05:19:34 pm »
Very good news, but that doesn't guarantee absolute victory. I'm a bit worried whatever fastball may hit us.
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 07:00:09 pm »
Does anyone else have a word on this or is the vast sea of cynicism going to be rife, here?
Would it be more helpful if we all made motivational speeches every other post? (and then refused to actually DO anything to tangibly improve our community, country, political party, or political process)

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 10:28:58 pm »
Would it be more helpful if we all made motivational speeches every other post? (and then refused to actually DO anything to tangibly improve our community, country, political party, or political process)

"Word from word gave words to me,
Deed from deed gave deeds to me."

That's from the W. H. Auden translation of the Havamal. You can sit on your arse and yarn until you're blue in the face or you can get off it and put action to words.

Personally, I'm volunteering at an Australian Indigenous Corporation by working on their crowdfunding and research stuff with the elders. I'm a member of my university's Queer Collective. I intend to work in the non-profit sector and major in entrepreneurship at university.

Cheerleading is all very well, Spuki. But put your money where your mouth is. Even if you have barely any cash like me, you can still volunteer time, skills and even just a friendly sympathetic ear. But all motivational speeches, when they're not backed up with action, does is fire people up for a short time and then things stay the same.
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 11:12:05 pm »
Cheerleading is all very well, Spuki. But put your money where your mouth is. Even if you have barely any cash like me, you can still volunteer time, skills and even just a friendly sympathetic ear. But all motivational speeches, when they're not backed up with action, does is fire people up for a short time and then things stay the same.
Which just breeds more cynicism and stagnation.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 11:58:33 pm »
*sigh*...I'm not saying the battle is won. I'm just adding some links to articles that are positive & expressing the fact that the American Far-Right is beginning to fall apart.

Perhaps I was too over-enthusiastic. I am sorry.

No, I DID NOT DEMAND THAT YOU GO "RAH RAH"!

I shared some articles that seemed positive. I assumed, reasonably, that folks would check it out & we'd discuss said articles. Instead, I get a reaction of ether *meh* or that I'm an idiot.

I hate it when people are stupid. I hate when they ignore points and make assumptions that I never made.

Why can't you be like the FSTDTs on the main site? At least THEY ACCEPT ME AS AN EQUAL & EVEN LIKE ME!

WHERE'S MY RESPECT! YOU ARE MY FRIENDS, EQUALS, ALLIES, FELLOW FSTDTers! WE ARE A TEAM! WE ARE ONE! WE ARE THE MEMBERS OF FSTDT!

If Anon-e-moose can respect me, so can you!

If Jessie & Jessie's Guitarist can respect me, so can you!

If everyone else on the main site can accept me as a member & forgive my indiscretions, SO CAN YOU!

It's almost like the main site & the forum were two different websites! Like the former is one site populated by good, decent, REAL HUMAN BEINGS & the later populated BY INHUMAN SHIT-EATING TROLLS!

I only want to be your friend and equal...BECAUSE I AM!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 12:10:03 am by SpukiKitty »

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 12:52:35 am »
I think a lot of us have been burned by the appearance of things changing for the better, only for things to go horribly wrong. It's nothing against you.

These are all good news, though (especially the Tea Party ratings.). What I believe Morgenleoht and JohnE are trying to say is that we should take these as opportunities to push back, strengthen our stance, and make things better- unfortunately a huge problem in the American left is apathy or obliviousness to what the right is up to, and in recent years this has cost us hugely.
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 12:55:55 am »
It's almost like the main site & the forum were two different websites!

That's because they are two completely different websites. The different names and URLs might have tipped you off. Heck, they were very different even before they formally split.

Look, I don't hate you or think you're an idiot. But it does get tiresome how often you go on one of your, "DON'T GIVE UP! DON'T GIVE IN TO CYNICISM! FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT!" spiels, especially after I asked what you actually do to fight the good fight, and the answer was basically nothing. The constant calls to action ring hollow when you don't lead by example.

Respect is earned. Just because other people respect you doesn't mean everyone is obligated to.

Like the former is one site populated by good, decent, REAL HUMAN BEINGS & the later populated BY INHUMAN SHIT-EATING TROLLS!

For example, responding to criticism (admittedly sarcastic and snarky) by calling the person an "inhuman shit-eating troll" is not a good way to earn respect.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 01:01:25 am »
What Feral said.

When a big fish gets tired of pulling, you use that time to do a bit of pulling of your own.  The stage is set for action.  It's up to each individual person now to do what they can. 

I like your optimism, Spuki.  I really do.   I also hope you're right about times changing.  I think a lot of us are just afraid to get our hopes up because, as the old saying goes, "It's better to expect the worst, because if it happens, you were ready for it, and if something good happens, you're pleasantly surprised."

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 01:10:00 am »
Why can't you be like the FSTDTs on the main site? At least THEY ACCEPT ME AS AN EQUAL & EVEN LIKE ME!

WHERE'S MY RESPECT! YOU ARE MY FRIENDS, EQUALS, ALLIES, FELLOW FSTDTers! WE ARE A TEAM! WE ARE ONE! WE ARE THE MEMBERS OF FSTDT!

As someone who showed up on the forums after perusing the main page for a while, I can only assume the forum community has a dysfunctional relationship with outsiders since they've probably been burned in the past by brigades.

On the other hand, the forums are much, much easier to troll.

It's almost like the main site & the forum were two different websites! Like the former is one site populated by good, decent, REAL HUMAN BEINGS & the later populated BY INHUMAN SHIT-EATING TROLLS!

Nah, the forums are the ones populated by decent people. Baby-devouring anti-theists such as myself mostly stick to the main page or Reddit.

I only want to be your friend and equal...BECAUSE I AM!

Shh, the adults are talking.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 01:22:06 am »
Odin's lost eye, woman!

Calling someone an inhuman shit-eating troll is a very good way to make someone go from weary and cynical to outright hating your guts. I spent two or three years where you are now. Then I got off my arse and started helping out. It's baby steps but it's a beginning.

I know you have issues. Hell, I've got a few. I wasn't precisely chewing you out for being 'Yay us!' It's more 'Yes, that's good, but let's capitalise on this by pushing harder and at a grassroots level'. Us liberals can be very apathetic; we need to drum up the sort of fervour that the Tealiban Party have. Volunteer at a soup kitchen or a food co-op. Pick up rubbish. You're a Shakti-Pagan so you should know what you do returns to you threefold. Start doing those little things and the world will be a better place for it.
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 01:34:37 am »
I'm sorry that I blew up like I did. I wasn't saying "Yay! Let's cheer!" not was I telling people to go out and do or not do stuff. I was merely sharing some articles to discuss, nothing more.

I take back completely the "shit-eating troll" comment. That definitely was a huge no no & unethical to say. :-[

:) Truce?:)