Author Topic: Tony Perkins Crosses Into Self-Parody Territory  (Read 4082 times)

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
Tony Perkins Crosses Into Self-Parody Territory
« on: September 23, 2014, 08:55:41 pm »
Tony Perkins, president of the Bigotry Family Research Council, has long been known for being a complete moron and windbag, cut from the same cloth as Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell. But he may have crossed into Poe's Law territory with his insight on ISIS. Did you know that Americans are joining ISIS because of athiesm, Hollywood, rap music, the Separation of Church and State, and sexting? Because Perkins thinks so. And no, I'm not making a word of that up.

I don't even know why we need satire anymore. Seriously, in recent years, parody's of right-wing craziness and genuine right-wing craziness have become almost completely indistinguishable from one another.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Tony Perkins Crosses Into Self-Parody Territory
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 09:02:24 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw6ndZNLYUA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw6ndZNLYUA</a>

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 12:25:53 am »
Tony Perkins, president of the Bigotry Family Research Council, has long been known for being a complete moron and windbag, cut from the same cloth as Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell. But he may have crossed into Poe's Law territory with his insight on ISIS. Did you know that Americans are joining ISIS because of athiesm, Hollywood, rap music, the Separation of Church and State, and sexting? Because Perkins thinks so. And no, I'm not making a word of that up.

I don't even know why we need satire anymore. Seriously, in recent years, parody's of right-wing craziness and genuine right-wing craziness have become almost completely indistinguishable from one another.

That probably explains why Landover Baptist hasn't had an update in a few years. They just gave up because the real deal is out-doing the parodies!

What is it with these wingnuts? Years ago, they seemed more subdued and, while they did believe & say dumb things, it was "believably dumb" rather than "OMG! Somebody call the guys in the white coats!". They weren't as blatant about their bigotry, sexism & anti-science stance and basically put on an air of "respectability" with talk of "We're doing this for the children/women's well being/family, etc." and a lot of dog-whistles mixed with cheesy platitudes. They were nuts but they weren't as blatantly honest about it.

Nowadays, they just come right out and admit the most crazy stuff in the most blatant way possible & are darn proud of it, upping the weirdness/outrage ante every time!

I'd love to know why they're so honest about it, these days. Granted, it's great because it makes the progressive's job easier but why are they so open & nuts, these days? Also, why do they say such outrageous things that could kill their careers? Why say junk like what Todd Akin said? Are these folks so stupid & sheltered that they honestly believe their pro-rape comments wouldn't get ridicule? Are they trolling?

It's like they don't care anymore. Before, they were "We're not sexist/ethnic bigots/etc., really!", now they're "Yeah! Were ethnic bigots/misogynists/anti-Semite/science-haters/psychopaths and darn proud of it!"

Can anyone explain this?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 12:48:25 am by SpukiKitty »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 12:29:35 am »

That probably explains why Landover Baptist hasn't had an update in a few years. They just gave up because the real deal is out-doing the parodies!

What is it with these wingnuts? Years ago, they seemed more subdued and, while they did believe & say dumb things, it "believably dumb" rather than "OMG! Somebody call the guys in the white coats!". They weren't as blatant about their bigotry, sexism & anti-science stance and basically put on an air of "respectability" with talk of "We're doing this for the children/women's well being/family, etc." and a lot of dog-whistles mixed with cheesy platitudes. They were nuts but they weren't as blatantly honest about it.

Nowadays, they just come right out and admit the most crazy stuff in the most blatant way possible & are darn proud of it, upping the weirdness/outrage ante every time!

I'd love to know why they're so honest about it, these days. Granted, it's great because it makes the progressive's job easier but why are they so open & nuts, these days? Also, why do they say such outrageous things that could kill their careers? Why say junk like what Todd Akin said? Are these folks so stupid & sheltered that they honestly believe their pro-rape comments wouldn't get ridicule? Are they trolling?

It's like they don't care anymore. Before, they were "We're not sexist/ethnic bigots/etc., really!", now they're "Yeah! Were ethnic bigots/misogynists/anti-Semite/science-haters/psychopaths and darn proud of it!"

Can anyone explain this?
Maybe it's some kind of collective insanity?

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 12:52:15 am »

What is it with these wingnuts? Years ago, they seemed more subdued and, while they did believe & say dumb things, it "believably dumb" rather than "OMG! Somebody call the guys in the white coats!". They weren't as blatant about their bigotry, sexism & anti-science stance and basically put on an air of "respectability" with talk of "We're doing this for the children/women's well being/family, etc." and a lot of dog-whistles mixed with cheesy platitudes. They were nuts but they weren't as blatantly honest about it.

Can anyone explain this?
Maybe it's some kind of collective insanity?

Perhaps overconfidence or hubris. It's a common thing with unscrupulous folks. Over time, they get sloppy. Perhaps it's "the cornered rat" thing. Progressives are getting wise & fighting back so they guys get nutzoid. Maybe they're overconfident due to gerrymandering & whatnot and assume they can be open, now, because they think they have it in the bag.

Offline Nemo

• Pope
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 01:02:07 am »
I suspect it might be the persecution complex has gone into overdrive and made them this way. Right now, we have a Democratic President. Sure, he's far softer than many progressives would like, but he has a D behind his name. And if you listen to right wing radio, he is the most far left president ever. Also, even though President Obama is becoming unpopular rapidly, and I suspect the Republicans will take the White House in 2016 (that's just how American politics works), the fact is, social conservatism is not popular right now.

The fundamentalists are losing on the gay rights issue. Just ten years ago, the Republicans won an election by bashing gays. Now, many of their national candidates would rather avoid the issue or even break with the party base. Drugs? Even many Republicans that I know openly believe the War on Drugs is a failure. I'm shocked we haven't seen more victories for drug legalization, to be honest. Science? Right now, creationism is in full retreat. Most of the smart creationists that I encounter are cynical presuppositionalists. Most mainstream Christian thinkers accept the scientific consensus on origins. Secularism? Ok, they won a victory with public prayer in the Supreme Court, but otherwise, the secular community is still scoring victories.
"If it's white or Jewish then they're criminals, if it's two brown people killing each other ... meh, that's their culture and we should respect it ... cultural relativists should be ashamed of themselves." - Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 10:49:02 am »
I suspect it might be the persecution complex has gone into overdrive and made them this way. Right now, we have a Democratic President. Sure, he's far softer than many progressives would like, but he has a D behind his name. And if you listen to right wing radio, he is the most far left president ever. Also, even though President Obama is becoming unpopular rapidly, and I suspect the Republicans will take the White House in 2016 (that's just how American politics works), the fact is, social conservatism is not popular right now.

The fundamentalists are losing on the gay rights issue. Just ten years ago, the Republicans won an election by bashing gays. Now, many of their national candidates would rather avoid the issue or even break with the party base. Drugs? Even many Republicans that I know openly believe the War on Drugs is a failure. I'm shocked we haven't seen more victories for drug legalization, to be honest. Science? Right now, creationism is in full retreat. Most of the smart creationists that I encounter are cynical presuppositionalists. Most mainstream Christian thinkers accept the scientific consensus on origins. Secularism? Ok, they won a victory with public prayer in the Supreme Court, but otherwise, the secular community is still scoring victories.

Ah! My "cornered rat" hypothesis! I was right! They're losing the war & therefore are losing their minds & ability to self-censor & propagandize.

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 07:29:06 pm »

Ah! My "cornered rat" hypothesis! I was right! They're losing the war & therefore are losing their minds & ability to self-censor & propagandize.

Just look at any quotes seen on popular Wingnut message boards like Moonbattery, Free Republic, Where Liberty Dwells, and you'll have an endless amount of evidence to back up your hypothesis.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 07:31:00 pm by mythbuster43 »

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 08:26:44 pm »

Just look at any quotes seen on popular Wingnut message boards like Moonbattery, Free Republic, Where Liberty Dwells, and you'll have an endless amount of evidence to back up your hypothesis.

So if I read the earliest stuff on those sites, they would seem semi-sane? I don't have the gastrointestinal fortitude to go there first-hand. However, if you or others have gone there & seen the earliest stuff then I'm not surprised that my hypothesis was right.

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 01:46:59 am »

So if I read the earliest stuff on those sites, they would seem semi-sane? I don't have the gastrointestinal fortitude to go there first-hand. However, if you or others have gone there & seen the earliest stuff then I'm not surprised that my hypothesis was right.

Well, those sites were never actually anything remotely resembling sane, but it wasn't until the last four or five years that their craziness became rabid and cartoonish to Poe's Law levels. The mainstreaming of conspiracy nuts like Larry Pratt due to the Republican Party's incredibly ill-advised attempt at co-opting the Tea Party Movement has let wingnuts know that they don't have to be subtle or pretend to have a coherent argument anymore. They can literally just string the usual buzz-words and bogeymen together into a sloppy incoherent mess of a word salad and their followers will still eat it all up without question.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 01:50:32 am by mythbuster43 »

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 02:36:00 pm »
Y'know? I'm glad that they're just bustin' out with the crazy.....makes fighting them easier!

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 08:03:54 pm »
Hysteria lead so incoherence.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.