Author Topic: Ferguson Police test out new less-lethal alternative ballistics weaponry.  (Read 2796 times)

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ferguson-mo-police-department-is-first-in-us-to-test-less-lethal-gun-attachment/2015/02/03/c6772af8-abb7-11e4-ad71-7b9eba0f87d6_story.html

It seems that the Ferguson PD learned something from last year's shooting and subsequent protests, and they've started to test out a rather interesting new technology in terms of less lethal. Say hello to the Alternative Ballistics, kiddos.

That ridiculous little orange cap on the end? The bullet embeds itself within that, then keeps going with reduced speed. Enough to knock you on your ass but nothing more.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 07:01:12 pm by Second Coming of Madman »
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
Re: Ferguson Police test out new less-lethal alternative ballistics weaponry.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 07:01:10 pm »
Cool and all, but they can still kill your ass dead if they fire more than once.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 07:01:30 pm »
Good!

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 10:16:13 am »
Cool and all, but they can still kill your ass dead if they fire more than once.

And standard procedure pretty much seems to be mag dump until target stops moving.

I can also see potential problems with range, accuracy, catching on holsters etc. limiting its real world usefulness. vs. an actual taser or shotgun with beanbags.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 10:26:45 am »
As far as I've understood that toy might be cheaper than a taser but otherwise it is just not as good.

With a taser a single shot might be enough but I think usually people fire more than one beanbag when they are using those (and wouldn't it be better to use the shotguns they already have to fire beanbag ammo?)

Actually, there might be another benefit. If/when the first shot isn't enough they can claim that they tried to use less-than-lethal methods and mag dump on the suspect.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 01:08:50 pm »
As far as I've understood that toy might be cheaper than a taser but otherwise it is just not as good.

With a taser a single shot might be enough but I think usually people fire more than one beanbag when they are using those (and wouldn't it be better to use the shotguns they already have to fire beanbag ammo?)

Actually, there might be another benefit. If/when the first shot isn't enough they can claim that they tried to use less-than-lethal methods and mag dump on the suspect.

Nailed it. "Claim". That's Ferguson PD's reason for this in a nutshell. This device reminds me of a really silly crowd funding item I saw recently where they carry on about how we are evolved to defecate in a squatting position, so here is the Answer - a two thousand dollar raised lip squat toilet. Go Fund Me! The point being, using a small stool for your feet to achieve the same anatomical position works as well, and in Asia squat toilets were perfected generations ago. Bean bag shotties already exist. So does bear spray, if you really want another LL option besides the Taser (both of which can and do kill people with heart conditions). The real answers are better police tactics and policies and training and psych screening...not a plastic dud ball.

Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 07:11:55 pm »

The beautiful thing about electricity is that it can really stop a motherfucker in their tracks.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 09:43:32 pm »
Less than lethal is such a weird euphemism considering people have totally been killed dead with plastic, rubber and wooden bullets, also Tasers.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 12:19:11 am »
Well, yes, but people have been killed by pretty much everything. It's hard to make a device that can reliably stop someone but has no risk at all of killing them, and you're going to need some name for the things. Can't call them "non-lethal" because clearly people die, can't call them "probably not lethal" because that's a terrible PR campaign. Less-than-lethal is a weird compromise, but it works.
Σא

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 12:20:13 am »
Well, yes, but people have been killed by pretty much everything. It's hard to make a device that can reliably stop someone but has no risk at all of killing them, and you're going to need some name for the things. Can't call them "non-lethal" because clearly people die, can't call them "probably not lethal" because that's a terrible PR campaign. Less-than-lethal is a weird compromise, but it works.

Exactly.  Remember: people have been killed by champagne corks.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 12:44:38 am »
If it's less than lethal how do you kill people with it?
There's black people who are still alive Dammit!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 05:43:16 pm by I am lizard »

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 05:21:12 pm »
I can kill a man with a fish wrapped in newspaper.

Ironbite-anything is a weapon in the right hands.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 06:48:00 pm »
Cotton balls are the answer.  They're not heavy, and they are biodegradable.  What you do is, you pelt the malefactor with cotton balls until he, she or it gets annoyed and leaves.  Some kinks to be worked out. 
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 03:48:50 am »
Know what would be less lethal? A better police force.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 04:54:26 am »
Less than lethal is such a weird euphemism considering people have totally been killed dead with plastic, rubber and wooden bullets, also Tasers.

I think the point was, that they won't call it "non-lethal" because those things can kill, but are less likely to do so. Usually (apart from few unlucky occasions) the death come from misuse or too numerous use of the less than lethal weapons. Like tasering someone 5 times or using bean bags from point blank range.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!