Author Topic: Best of Social Justice- Redux  (Read 30252 times)

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
Re: Best of Social Justice- Redux
« Reply #120 on: June 03, 2017, 05:05:29 am »
Should I start another Best of Social Justice thread or necro this one?

https://mic.com/articles/153149/actress-jen-richards-just-nailed-the-problem-with-casting-cisgender-actors-in-trans-roles?utm_source=policymicTBLR&utm_medium=main&utm_campaign=social#.KysNEzxSm

While Hollywood may come up short when it comes to roles for transgender women, there's no shortage of transgender brilliance on Twitter.

On Tuesday, after news broke that Matt Bomer took the role of a transgender woman in the upcoming film Anything, Jen Richards, transgender actress and creator of the Emmy-nominated online series Her Story, sounded off on Bomer's casting, the state of Hollywood for transgender talent and how these decisions can lead to violence against trans women.

While I agree it would be nice for Hollywood to give more slots to trans women, I'm not sure how the current state of affairs necessarily encourages violence against us. As long as the cis man (or cis woman in some instances) is portraying a well-rounded, non-stereotypical character, there shouldn't be any negative media influence.

(Also, as a brief aside, readin through this whole thread made me realize why you guys didn't like Ultimate Paragon, that guy can't debate his way out of a paper sack)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Best of Social Justice- Redux
« Reply #121 on: August 09, 2017, 02:38:19 pm »
I'm going to shoot down cultural appropriation nonsense with one paragraph from a cookbook I have:

My pal Reza Mofakham helps manage a hardware store and caught the barbecue bug a couple of years ago. He's learned to master the Cadillac of charcoal cookers, the Big Green Egg, which is kind of a cross between a covered grill and a tandoor oven--which means you can plank salmon and cook pizza in it. This dish scored well in the open category at the Canadian National Barbecue Championships in 2005, and I think it'll score well with you, too. It's a tasty way to deal with leftover planked salmon. If you don't feel like making your own pizza dough, you can buy it frozen at most supermarkets.

And if that made you hungry, here's a link to the cookbook:

https://www.amazon.ca/Barbecue-Secrets-Deluxe-Recipes-Champion/dp/1552859495
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.