Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 388287 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #1140 on: May 23, 2017, 04:34:10 am »
http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/22/news/wilbur-ross-saudi-protests/index.html

"Isn't it great how there are no protestors in the country where protesting means you get thrown in jail? Kinda like that North Korea too, everyone loves he leader there and there are absolutely no signs of anyone displeased. Maybe USA could learn a thing or two from them???????????? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?? ?? ? ? ? ? ? ?" -Wilbur Ross basically.

...That or he had no idea that protests are illegal in SA and was talking out of his ass because he wanted to complain about the people in USA who voice their displeasure at the current regime.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #1141 on: May 23, 2017, 05:11:45 am »
As a general observation I have to confess I was wrong about a major thing: I thought Trump's idiocy would make him easier to control. I didn't understand how much his huge ego prevents him from listening to advice from people who know better. I'm starting to agree with the sentiment that him being in power is better than having a more efficient Pence as a president. I was previously worried that he would end up as a puppet for someone like Bannon.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #1142 on: May 23, 2017, 05:40:54 am »

"Isn't it great how there are no protestors in the country where protesting means you get thrown in jail? Kinda like that North Korea too, everyone loves he leader there and there are absolutely no signs of anyone displeased. Maybe USA could learn a thing or two from them???????????? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?? ?? ? ? ? ? ? ?" -Wilbur Ross basically.

...That or he had no idea that protests are illegal in SA and was talking out of his ass because he wanted to complain about the people in USA who voice their displeasure at the current regime.

No, he continued to say that even after the interviewer told him that protests are illegal in Saudi Arabia.

He's just like any other authoritarian.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #1143 on: May 23, 2017, 05:49:00 am »

No, he continued to say that even after the interviewer told him that protests are illegal in Saudi Arabia.

He's just like any other authoritarian.

I have just learned that Saudi Arabia does not punish people who protest by jailing them. Instead it is punishable by ...What's the word? DECAPITATION.

Must not confuse those two.

Keep calm and carry on, be careful not to lose your head.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #1144 on: May 23, 2017, 03:24:22 pm »
I just don't get how you can miss that fact.

Ironbite-other then you being an authoritarian shitheel.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #1145 on: May 23, 2017, 03:37:50 pm »
I just don't get how you can miss that fact.

Ironbite-other then you being an authoritarian shitheel.

Yep, that's pretty much it. Ross really, really wishes they could stop those sorts of protests in the US.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #1146 on: May 23, 2017, 04:08:21 pm »
Now that I've watched that video again, Ross doesn't just "continue after being told that protests are illegal." He never acknowledges that.

What happens is that a WOMAN dares to politely suggest that something that an old man has is not correct. He reacts by dismissing her claim as a "theory" and then continues "But boy, there was certainly no sign of it, there wasn't a single effort of any incursion," as if the fact that there were no protests was enough proof that no one dislikes Trump. He didn't counter her "theory" because he didn't care about what she said. It's possible that he didn't even hear a word of it once he realized that the -lil gal- is trying to say that he isn't correct.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #1147 on: May 23, 2017, 04:43:47 pm »
Transcript of relevant part from CNBC interview:

Ross: There's no question that they're liberalizing their society, and I think the other thing that was fascinating to me, there was not a single hint of a protester anywhere there during the whole time we were there, not one guy with a bad placard. Instead, there was--

Interviewer: But, Secretary Ross, that may be not necessarily because they don't have those feelings there but because they, they control people and don't allow them to come and express their feelings quite the same as we do here.

Ross: In theory that could be true, but boy there was certainly no sign of it, there was not a single effort at any incursion, there wasn't anything. The--the mood was a genuinely good mood, and at the end of the trip, as I was getting back on the plane, the security guards from the Saudi side who'd been helping us over the weekend all wanted to pose for a big photo op, and then they gave me two gigantic bushels of dates as a present, a thank you for the trip that we had had. That was a pretty from-the-heart, very genuine gesture, and it really touched me.

"Well, yeah, there were no protests, and maybe it's because they don't let us protest"--and boy I wish we could do that here!--"but let's focus on the far more important fact that they gave me tons of dates!"
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 04:47:31 pm by dpareja »

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #1148 on: May 23, 2017, 08:21:31 pm »
So buried under the whole Orange Piss Pot World Tour, Ex-CIA Director John Brennan stopped by the House Intel Committee for a quick chat with lawmakers.  It did not go the way the Republicans on the committee wanted.

Former CIA Director John Brennan told the House Intelligence Committee Tuesday that Russia "brazenly interfered in the 2016 election process," despite U.S. efforts to warn it off. Brennan testified in an open session of the committee, one of a handful of congressional committees now investigating Russian meddling in the 2016 election.
Brennan said he told his Russian counterpart, the head of Russia's FSB, last August that if Russia pursued its efforts to interfere, "it would destroy any near-term prospect for improvement in relations" between the two countries. He said Russia denied any attempts to interfere.
In his opening statement, Brennan also recounted how he had briefed congressional leaders in August of last year, including House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wisc., Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., and the chairs and ranking members of the House and Senate Intelligence Committees about the "full details" of what he knew of Russia's interference in the 2016 election. Brennan said he became convinced last summer that Russia was trying to interfere in the campaign, saying "they were very aggressive."

Brennan said he is "aware of information and intelligence that revealed contacts and interactions between Russian officials and U.S. persons involved in the Trump campaign." Brennan said that concerned him, "because of known Russian efforts to suborn such individuals," and that it raised questions about whether or not the Russians "were able to gain the cooperation of those individuals." Brennan added he didn't know if "collusion existed" between the Russians and those he identified as involved in the Trump campaign.

While Brennan would not specifically identify any individuals associated with the Trump campaign who had contacts with Russian officials and would not opine as to whether there was any collusion or collaboration, he did tell lawmakers why he was concerned about the contacts occurring against the general background of Russian efforts to meddle in the election. Brennan said he's studied Russian intelligence activities over the years, and how Russian intelligence services have been able to get people to betray their country. "Frequently, individuals on a treasonous path do not even realize they're on that path until it gets to be too late," he said.
Brennan said Russia was motivated to back Donald Trump in the presidential election because of a "traditional animus" between Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton and Russian President Vladimir Putin. He told committee members there had not been a good relationship between Putin and the Clintons over the years. What's more, Brennan said Putin blamed Hillary Clinton's actions as secretary of state during the Obama administration for domestic disturbances inside Russia. He said Putin was concerned Clinton would be more "rigid" on issues such as human rights if elected president.

But Brennan told the committee he believed that Russia anticipated that Clinton would be the likely winner of the presidential race, and that Russia tried to "damage and bloody" her before Election Day. Had she won, Brennan said, Russia would have continued to attempt to "denigrate her and hurt her" during her presidency. If Russia had collected more information about Clinton that they did not use against her during the campaign, Brennan said they were likely "husbanding it for another day."

During his testimony, Republicans tried, oh they tried and tried and tried, to get him to say something, anything about Clinton.  Because at this point, they're looking for a way out of this mess and to blame it all on Clinton.  Problem is, reality doesn't work that way.  At all.

Ironbite-Wonder how the Orange Piss Pot is gonna deal with it.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #1149 on: May 23, 2017, 08:47:08 pm »
Ironbite-Wonder how the Orange Piss Pot is gonna deal with it.

What do you think he'll say? "John Brennan's testimony was weak! Not one mention of Crooked Hillary! He's not winning with his testimony! Sad! #MAGA"

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #1150 on: May 23, 2017, 10:49:10 pm »
This does worry me for future elections.  If we allow Russia to easily tamper with information to get what they want. What's going to stop them from doing this again and again?
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #1151 on: May 23, 2017, 11:13:28 pm »
It just struck me that Trump's nicknames for his electoral opponents were a massive case of projection: "Lyin'" (Cruz), "Little" (Rubio), "Crooked" (Clinton) and "Crazy" (Sanders) all describe Trump pretty well.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #1152 on: May 23, 2017, 11:34:52 pm »
It just struck me that Trump's nicknames for his electoral opponents were a massive case of projection: "Lyin'" (Cruz), "Little" (Rubio), "Crooked" (Clinton) and "Crazy" (Sanders) all describe Trump pretty well.

And Pocahontas?
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #1153 on: May 23, 2017, 11:37:59 pm »

And Pocahontas?

Electoral opponents.

(Insert grumbling that Clinton didn't choose Warren as her running mate... though even then she wouldn't have been Trump's electoral opponent.)

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #1154 on: May 24, 2017, 12:01:22 am »

And Pocahontas?

Electoral opponents.

(Insert grumbling that Clinton didn't choose Warren as her running mate... though even then she wouldn't have been Trump's electoral opponent.)

Yeah, grumble grumble grumble.

ETA: And technically, Bernie was never Trumps electoral opponent, as he didn't make it to the general to compete with Trump for votes. Looking at how Russia used Bernie, you could make a better argument that he was an electoral ally to Trump, dragging out the primary and fraying feelings, thus hurting Hillary's electability.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 12:04:59 am by The_Queen »
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?