Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 387946 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #1545 on: August 18, 2017, 08:33:34 am »
There will still be jobs, though.  People, at some point, are going to be required to maintain both hardware and software.  A repair driod might be able to fix a broken hydraulic press, but how's it going to know when to intervene?  Who's going to ensure it doesn't glitch out and end up doing more harm than good?  Hell, who's gonna repair the repair driod?

We'll still have an economy, just one based on keeping things working and making new things.  We'll still need software engineers, scientists, mechanical engineers, doctors, support staff, and more.  There are some things only human intuition can adequately handle; I very seriously doubt we'll have that particular API for several more generations.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #1546 on: August 18, 2017, 08:47:33 am »
Any jobs based on physical labour will see loss of jobs due to automation, with less workers around you see service jobs reducing due to less customers. Unless you get brand new companies moving to rural regions the migration will continue.

And that's not bad. People have always migrated due to changes in their area or living conditions.

The issue with USA is that you should accept this rather than trying to put specific towns on life support. Even if a kid moves to the big city they are still in the same country. This is true even if they cross a state line. Voting power should be based on voters rather than the regions and the artificial lines drawn on maps.

But with the parties clinging on to power you see a shift where metropolitans lose power because you insist on using the old electoral system that is outdated...

When climate change turns fertile lands into deserts rather than trying to eat sand we must accept that people migrate to life supporting regions and try to get along.

What I fear is that we still see the same old "fuck you I got mine" attitudes and consequent wars.

...but I went off topic long ago.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #1547 on: August 18, 2017, 09:53:03 am »
There will still be jobs, though.  People, at some point, are going to be required to maintain both hardware and software.  A repair driod might be able to fix a broken hydraulic press, but how's it going to know when to intervene?  Who's going to ensure it doesn't glitch out and end up doing more harm than good?  Hell, who's gonna repair the repair driod?

We'll still have an economy, just one based on keeping things working and making new things.  We'll still need software engineers, scientists, mechanical engineers, doctors, support staff, and more.  There are some things only human intuition can adequately handle; I very seriously doubt we'll have that particular API for several more generations.

According to an Oxford study, 47% of all jobs could be fully automated within the next couple of decades. Sure, human labour will still have some niche in the future, but not anywhere near enough to keep the entire working age population employed like we've come to expect.

Hell, it's kind of been happening for the past couple of decades already. Between 1998 and 2013, the population of the US rose by 40 million and GDP rose by around 40%, yet the total number of hours worked was 194 billion hours in both years. Demand for labour has stagnated while both the economy and population has grown. Won't be long now before it starts to drop (assuming it hasn't already). Another fun fact, transport and logistics accounts for around 10% of total employment in the US. Self driving vehicles are already and thing and even these first generation machines are better than human drivers in every objective measure. How long before truckers and bus drivers go the way of factory workers? Here in my glorious motherland, Sydney and Melbourne are already testing self driving buses, so I dare say it won't be long.

So yeah, I don't think I'm wrong to be concerned that this issue is almost never even brought up, much less talked about, in politics.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1548 on: August 18, 2017, 10:06:58 am »
Yeah, that's true.  Either we curb the population, or we find a way to adapt our economic strategies to accommodate reality.  As for American logistics, they're woefully outdated, anyway.  We're still stuck on trucks like a bunch of savages, instead of using more efficient trains because our rails have been undercut at almost every opportunity since the invention of the automobile.

Ya know, its almost like there should be something to catch people, economically, that fall thru the cracks of time like this...like some kind of net, perhaps one of safety.  Nah, that'll never work.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #1549 on: August 18, 2017, 10:29:14 am »
One problem is that the economy is becoming more global. Back in the day you could be born into a town grow up, get married, work and die in that town. Now people have to travel to other states to find and start careers and do that a few times before they can actually settle down comfortably. It's why couples are having kids later now or not having kids at all. I forsee in the future people having to travel to other countries to find work, especially if a country becomes well known for a particular set of jobs. That's why its dangerous to take on this nationalist isolationist approach from the rest of the world. Because the rest of the world will move on with out you and you'll be left to suffer economically. That's why it's dangerous for these old coal mining and factory mill towns. People want to cling onto the jobs that aren't there and what made their towns great in the past just aren't there anymore. These towns are very conservative and tend to be very stubborn about trying something new. Until someone can figure out how to convince these people to either A) Move to where jobs are, B) Let people invest in new kinds of jobs in your town. It's not going to change and Donald Trump creating 1800 coal mining jobs isn't going to cut it.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1550 on: August 18, 2017, 11:01:11 am »
Hopefully, those kinds of people will be in the dirt before we're faced with the penalties of their idiotic pride.

See, this is one of the big reasons I went into fuckin' software.  Y'all motherfuckers are always gonna need us.  Combine that with companies switching over to distributed development, and thus eliminating travel (to a central office) as a necessity for doing your job, and we're right in the sweet spot.  WHO'S LAUGHING NOW, JOCKS?!

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #1552 on: August 18, 2017, 01:32:36 pm »
lol can Trump keep anyone working for him?
Now is Breitbart going to turn on Trump?
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #1553 on: August 18, 2017, 01:37:00 pm »
If Breitbart turns on Trump and causes the racist groups to start hating him... Will there be any supporters left?

GOP is clearly just using him reluctantly, those who voted for him because he promised to "bring back coal" have already seen that he will not help them or save other jobs and now it seems to me like the only people who really like him are the racists who enjoy a president who openly hates Muslims and uses racist dogwhistle codes when talking about minorities.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #1554 on: August 18, 2017, 01:40:42 pm »
^And die hard Republicans who if you put a German Shepard down as your republican candidate they would vote for him as president.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #1555 on: August 18, 2017, 02:00:26 pm »
Kelly cleaning house it seems.  But the one person he really wants to fire he can't.  At least not yet.

Ironbite-might be coming.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #1556 on: August 18, 2017, 02:01:00 pm »
Do you mean Trump?
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #1557 on: August 18, 2017, 02:01:25 pm »
Jah.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #1558 on: August 18, 2017, 02:50:48 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/missouri-senator-trump-assassination-posts-1.4252610

Missouri Democratic state Sen. Marie Chappelle-Nadal posted a comment on Facebook expressing her hope that Pres. Trump would be assassinated.

Numerous other Missouri politicians, including Gov. Eric Greitens (R) and Sen. Claire McCaskill (D) have called for her to resign.

Chappelle-Nadal has refused, claiming she was exercising her right to free speech.

The Secret Service is looking into the matter.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #1559 on: August 18, 2017, 03:31:11 pm »
Ugh why would you say that on the record and knowing what kind of position you're in?
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t