Author Topic: The whole muslim ban debacle  (Read 5861 times)

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
Re: The whole muslim ban debacle
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2017, 01:34:06 pm »
...Too complicated for me. There are too many appeals and denies of whatevers for me to keep track of what is going on. I thought the article meant that the ban was in effect and the attempt to cancel it had been cancelled.

The opposite. Trump's ban is not in effect, DoJ attempted to stop the thing that was stopping it, was not successful.

So, Trump tries to deny travel from certain countries, the courts deny this denial, he tries to deny the denial of his denial, but they deny his denial of their denial of the original denial. Straightforward
Σא

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2017, 01:45:35 pm »
I got confused because I thought that the Department of Justice was what halted the ban earlier.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2017, 03:15:35 pm »
Only if you thought our judicial system falls in the DoJ.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2017, 03:25:41 pm »
It doesn't? Then why is it called the Department of JUSTICE?!
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2017, 03:49:54 pm »
The DoJ, to the best of my knowledge, is merely a part of the President's cabinet, much like the State Department or the Department of Transportation.  Congress makes laws, the Executive enforces them, and the Judiciary reviews them to determine if they're Constitutional.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.