Author Topic: What's your ancestry? (As far as you are aware)  (Read 5586 times)

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
Re: What's your ancestry? (As far as you are aware)
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 10:56:48 pm »
Irish on my mom's side. Swedish and Russian on my dad's.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 12:33:39 am »
Germanic Jew on dad's side...American-made mutt on mom's side.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 01:12:29 am »
I am German, Swedish, and...some others on my mother's side, French Canadian on my father's side, with some Native American thrown in there.

I have researched my ancestors, and I have some lower order nobles in there.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 01:31:56 am »
On my dad's side, I'm Irish/Dutch. In the Dark Ages, my Irish ancestors ruled part of Ireland. Technically I have the blood of kings, although I think of it more as having the blood of warlords with shiny hats. My Dutch ancestors came to America before the Pilgrims. I've got one Civil War general in my family - General Daniel Butterfield was my great-great-grandfather.

On my mom's side, I'm a Jewish Krimchack, with some Bedouin and Cossack mixed in there. I'm actually neither Ashkenazic or Sephardic - Krimchacks are a separate branch, similar to the Italians and Yemenites.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 04:59:04 am »
Mom's side:
Her dad was full Irish
Her mom was Belgian, called herself "Black French" but insisted that didn't mean she was mixed race (she dropped hints here and there and I think she was 'passing').

Dad's side:
His dad was British, Dutch, maybe Scottish
His mom was deep-south Kentucky British/Irish.
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline Atheissimo

• Bishop
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 05:06:19 am »
English (East Yorkshire/Scottish borders) as far back as you care to look on both sides. No exciting ancestors though as far as I know.

There's some Italian in there somewhere, possibly a great-great-grandmother as all my mother's side have olive skin and dark hair (except her, oddly).
'You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend... and you've never watched Star Trek? Good Lord.' - Sir Patrick Stewart

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 07:04:15 am »
Scottish/Irish/Welsh/Galician on mother's side, father's side unknown but likely to have been mostly English.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 07:11:40 am »
Mine is quite boring. Seems like all my known ancestors were Finnish. There might be a suprise or two if I could have the 100% thruth but as far as the records show it's just the small genepool.

My greatgrandfather did move to Ohio looking for the "american dream" but he just married a girl from Finland and they came back home after their firstborn got sick. The doctor assumed that the local air was making the boy sick. Concidering that greatgrandpa worked in a coal mine and safety standards weren't what they are know there might have been a shred of truth in that.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Moltar

• Bishop
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 08:48:31 am »
Polish, Irish, and English.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 01:35:25 pm »
Polish, English, Irish, Welsh, Scotch, French, some kind of Native American, Spanish, Swedish, Russian, and probably a bunch else.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 03:14:07 pm »
On my dad's side, I'm Italian; specifically, Abruzzan.

On my mom's side, I'm mostly Anglo-French, but may have other nationalities in there.  My late cousin was a genealogist, and the oldest ancestor we know about was a Huguenot, but most of the last names on Mom's side are very English.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 05:52:02 pm »
Ukrianian (more than half) on my birth mum's side. German and a bunch of other stuff on dad's side.

Adopted into a family with Scottish and English ancestry. And Native American.

I usually only claim my birth ancestry.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2013, 07:31:35 am »
Scottish on dad's side (technically Newcastle, but it's within sight of Scotland so I claim it). A bit of Danish and some English on mum's.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2013, 10:18:47 am »
I don't really know for certain.  I'm from the"protestant community" (even though I'm actually an atheist) from County Antrim in Northern Ireland and most protestants in Antrim tend to be Scottish in origin but I have a Welsh surname. But the Welsh surname I have can also be found in Scotland. So my family might be originally from Wales via Scotland, but I've never looked into my ancestry so I don't know for sure.

Also my mother is English and she thinks there is Norman blood in her side of the family. But again I've never actually looked into it so I've no idea if that's true.

My dad's side of the family are also blood relatives to a family with the surname "Legge" which no one seems to know for sure where that originates. Some think it could be Viking in origin and others think it's Anglo Saxon.

PS On a very loosley related side note, the famous-at-the-time murderer Norman Thorne was a 2nd cousin to my mother http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3037214/

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2013, 03:05:15 pm »
Chunk of Irish, more than a little Scottish (descended from - according to legend and family folklore - Niall Nine-Hostages of Ireland on my dad's side [McLachlan] and Rob Roy McGregor [indirectly] on my mother's McLeod side); a touch of German, Welsh and found out recently I had an Aboriginal great-grandmother.
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."