Author Topic: 25% of my generation non-religious!  (Read 2195 times)

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
25% of my generation non-religious!
« on: April 21, 2012, 12:19:01 pm »
Okay, maybe this isn't quite news at this point in time, but that doesn't mean it's not exciting.

And the reasons are perfect.
Almost two-thirds (64%) of Millennials say that “anti-gay” describes present-day Christianity somewhat or very well. Over 6-in-10 (62%) also believe that present-day Christianity is “judgmental,” while 58% agree that “hypocritical (saying one thing, doing another)” describes present-day Christianity well. Half of Millennials say that “too involved in politics” describes present-day Christianity well.

It's so nice to see religious bigotry finally being called out and treated appropriately. Even though I'm getting quite the cold right now, this has completely made my morning.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
Re: 25% of my generation non-religious!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 01:16:43 pm »
Well I think it was only a matter of time before younger people caught on to the hatred, political and hypocriticalness of religion, and now that it is seen as anti women I can see more younger people leaving their faith. Either they are going to have to change their image, which they probably will slowly over time to the point where they say. "What we were always in support for women and gays." Or Mainstream religions might disappear. Which probably isn't going to happen.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 01:39:53 pm »
Maybe I'm just optimistic, but I think that the more conservative and reactionary forms of Christianity will not survive this century. The fact is, the youth tend to be more liberal than their parents, and the churches' homophobia and sexism is driving them away. Religions must liberalize or they will die.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 09:35:26 pm »
I imagine most of them will go back to their religion once they get older and decide they'd rather their religion be familiar than live up to their ideals.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 10:01:00 pm »
I don't think we will get rid of religion entirely, but I am not that all surprised by these numbers as I believe that there is a shift in spiritual conscious happening and that we are leaving the authoritarian paradigm and more into individualistic paradigms.

What I mean is that the "follow the leader" type of religious thinking is leaving and the more "be your own leader" type thinking is taking over.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 01:09:08 am »
I don't think we will get rid of religion entirely, but I am not that all surprised by these numbers as I believe that there is a shift in spiritual conscious happening and that we are leaving the authoritarian paradigm and more into individualistic paradigms.

What I mean is that the "follow the leader" type of religious thinking is leaving and the more "be your own leader" type thinking is taking over.

Oh, I don't think it's possible to get rid of religion, I don't want to try, and frankly I think some of them are kinda cool. Some people are religious and participate in the ceremonies because they feel it gives meaning to their lives, and I'm okay with that.

The last point about the "follow the leader" mentality vs. the "do your own thing" mentality is especially interesting when you consider all the Neopagan groups and similar individualistic religions that have been springing up all over the country.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 02:11:09 am »
Some people consider religions to be nothing more than fairy tales for adults.

Personally, I think people should be free to believe in fairy tales, as long as it doesn't harm others.

Key phrase: as long as it doesn't harm others
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet