Author Topic: Trolling the Westboro Baptist Church  (Read 8177 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Trolling the Westboro Baptist Church
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 01:14:01 am »
Best way to troll the WBC?

Legally declare them unconstitutional and ban them from picketing.
Or mockery. Mockery works.

Mockery just makes them scream louder. Keeping them from harassing people is so much better.

My dad has a conspiracy theory that the Westboro Baptist Church are actually deep cover CIA agents that are trying to agitate people into getting rid of the First Amendment.

Your dad also listens to Ron Paul seriously

Ironbite-what I'm saying is...your dad is an idiot.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 01:15:58 am »

Mockery just makes them scream louder. Keeping them from harassing people is so much better.

My dad has a conspiracy theory that the Westboro Baptist Church are actually deep cover CIA agents that are trying to agitate people into getting rid of the First Amendment.

Your dad also listens to Ron Paul seriously

Ironbite-what I'm saying is...your dad is an idiot.

I think we knew this already.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 01:45:41 am »

Yes, I can see how eviscerating the First Amendment in the name of a small group of loons would be worth it.

They're a hate group engaging in harassment of minorities and others. They're not in a legally nice position.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 09:33:53 am »

Yes, I can see how eviscerating the First Amendment in the name of a small group of loons would be worth it.

Unfortunately, there are large numbers of people on both sides of the political spectrum who could say what you just did with complete seriousness.

Not saying I BELIEVE the CIA-agent theory, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it turned out to be true.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 09:42:29 am »

They're a hate group engaging in harassment of minorities and others. They're not in a legally nice position.
It doesn't matter if they're a hate group and other people get offended by what they say--hate speech is protected speech.

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2013, 07:26:15 pm »
The Chaser people are PRO real life trolls.

I love those guys too, this is my fav <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs3SfNANtig" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs3SfNANtig</a> 3200 in the making

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2013, 05:09:43 am »
It doesn't matter if they're a hate group and other people get offended by what they say--hate speech is protected speech.
Depends on the country. For example: Canada.

http://www.filibustercartoons.com/index.php/2013/03/06/playing-with-free-speech/

The cartoonist makes a nice comparison between the free speech laws in USA and Canada, that Canadian version specifically states that the civil rights are subject to “reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society.”

Or like their supreme court said:
“Truthful statements can be presented in a manner that would meet the definition of hate speech, and not all truthful statements must be free from restriction...”

So not only can your "free speech" be limited if it offends someone, you can be forbidden from saying certain things that are "considered offensive" even if what you said is based on facts.

The examples used in the article actually are WBC and a similar attempt in Canada that got stopped pretty quickly.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2013, 10:42:08 am »
I don't want to derail this with pony, but askold mentioned Canadian censorship.

http://thedeathsock.deviantart.com/journal/Rant-My-Little-Pony-on-Treehouse-TV-269751752

Haha.  They censor "loser" in Canada.  Hahahaha.  Ahahahaha.  Oh you silly Canadian bastards.  Anyway, carry on.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2013, 12:35:22 pm »
I don't want to derail this with pony, but askold mentioned Canadian censorship.

http://thedeathsock.deviantart.com/journal/Rant-My-Little-Pony-on-Treehouse-TV-269751752

Haha.  They censor "loser" in Canada.  Hahahaha.  Ahahahaha.  Oh you silly Canadian bastards.  Anyway, carry on.

I think that has more to do with the target audience of the channel on which it's airing than anything else. If it were being aired on a channel pitched toward the initially intended audience of the show, I do not think that sort of censorship would be taking place.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2013, 12:39:20 pm »

I think that has more to do with the target audience of the channel on which it's airing than anything else. If it were being aired on a channel pitched toward the initially intended audience of the show, I do not think that sort of censorship would be taking place.

You may be right.  It's still hilarious.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2013, 12:54:45 pm »
I was, indeed, referring to the U.S. when I said that :)

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2013, 01:00:50 pm »
I know, other countries don't really matter unless the WBC decide to branch out. I just wanted to point out how differently countries deal with freedom of speech. Even a democratic and free country like Canada (the better north american country) limits the freedom of speech for what they see as good justifications... in this case for the sake of being nice.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

• The Beast
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2013, 01:03:33 pm »
I know, other countries don't really matter unless the WBC decide to branch out. I just wanted to point out how differently countries deal with freedom of speech. Even a democratic and free country like Canada (the better north american country) limits the freedom of speech for what they see as good justifications... in this case for the sake of being nice.

"Better?"  Boy, you sure have a high opinion of them, don't ya.  They're just so much better than us lowly yanks, let me tell ya.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2013, 01:44:48 pm »
“Truthful statements can be presented in a manner that would meet the definition of hate speech, and not all truthful statements must be free from restriction...”

Wouldn't that only apply to the WBC if God really did hate fags?
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2013, 01:59:40 pm »

Wouldn't that only apply to the WBC if God really did hate fags?
More like, if they bring out stuff like that homosexuals are more likely to commit suicide and claim that this is proof that God hates fags or something.

I guess, technically simply shouting at a gay person and calling him a fag would be:
a) factually true
b) hate speech if it is meant to be a hateful slur.