Author Topic: Fan theories that you think make sense  (Read 3695 times)

Art Vandelay

Re: Fan theories that you think make sense
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 09:15:00 pm »
Personally, I find it best just to ignore the Zelda timeline. It's quite clear that each game, especially pre-Wind Waker, was made as it's own, self-contained adventure (except in the case of actual direct sequels, like Ocarina > Majora or Wind Waker > Phantom Hourglass > Spirit Tracks) which Nintendo them had to retroactively arrange into a timeline in a way that made the most sense (or, more accurately, was least nonsensical) in order to shut the fans up. At the very least, I'd consider evidence within an individual game to carry far more weight than anything based on the official timeline.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 08:33:07 am »
Sheppard was indoctrinated, which is why the Destroy Ending is the only ending in ME3 (unless you count the Refuse) that ends with the Reapers defeated.

My theory is that Bioware got indoctrinated.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 03:41:46 pm »
Cracked has an article today about awesome fan theories. Too lazy to find the link right now, sorry.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2014, 04:45:15 pm »
During Jack's loyalty mission in ME2, you come across Cerberus logs that contradict Jack's memories of her escape. Shepard can point out that she didn't have the most objective view of the situation, but she doesn't show signs of a mental state that would make that likely. Another inconsistency is how the Blood Pack mercenaries act like they haven't been there very long, while Aresh says he's been trying to rebuild for about a year. It always seemed like there was something else going on that the characters missed, but I wasn't able to put my finger on it until recently. The theory is this: When the Illusive Man found out about Shepard's mission to the Teltin facility, he sent in someone to make sure the "damaged" logs played falsified reports from when Jack escaped in order to distance Teltin from the rest of Cerberus. The other falsified logs were to distract and confuse Jack and nudge Shepard towards questioning her judgement. And Aresh? Low-level Cerberus agent trained or brainwashed to put on a show. It's all a carefully crafted facade to deflect attention from "what Cerberus did here was horrible" to "there are two stories, what happened".
TL;DR version: TIM is a manipulative manipulator who manipulates.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2014, 05:32:53 pm »
I just read a theory that Galadriel gave Gimli three strands of hair to spite Feanor, who, in the Silmarillion, asked Galadriel three times for a strand of hair but was refused because he's an asshole (according to the one who wrote the theory).

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2014, 08:24:20 pm »
I just read a theory that Galadriel gave Gimli three strands of hair to spite Feanor, who, in the Silmarillion, asked Galadriel three times for a strand of hair but was refused because he's an asshole (according to the one who wrote the theory).

I'm not even sure if this really counts as a "fan theory." It seems like it's meant to be the obvious connection.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 08:57:10 pm »
Personally, I find it best just to ignore the Zelda timeline. It's quite clear that each game, especially pre-Wind Waker, was made as it's own, self-contained adventure (except in the case of actual direct sequels, like Ocarina > Majora or Wind Waker > Phantom Hourglass > Spirit Tracks) which Nintendo them had to retroactively arrange into a timeline in a way that made the most sense (or, more accurately, was least nonsensical) in order to shut the fans up. At the very least, I'd consider evidence within an individual game to carry far more weight than anything based on the official timeline.

Exactly, fans were arguing amongst themselves about the "timeline" well before nintendo released their "timeline." It was done as nothing more than a handwave to shut up some annoying fans, and in my opinion has little relevance to any Zelda storyline.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 09:04:15 pm »

I'm not even sure if this really counts as a "fan theory." It seems like it's meant to be the obvious connection.

I'm not so sure. The history of Galadriel went through so many changes, it's not clear that Tolkien had even come up with the incident with Fëanor when he wrote that scene in The Lord of the Rings (incidentally, it appears in Unfinished Tales, not the Silmarillion).

On the other hand: Fëanor did say that Galadriel's hair was the inspiration for the Silmarils. Three Silmarils, three strands of hair, three times asked... one does begin to wonder.
Σא