Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 386936 times)

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #2505 on: September 06, 2018, 03:48:36 am »
I think it was more, "We'll lose all credibility on the international stage."

Too late. (Granted this happened--or should have happened--when Obama ordered Gaddafi killed despite Bush promising to leave Gaddafi alone in exchange for his giving up his WMDs.)

The US cannot be trusted to keep its word. It can barely be trusted to stand by its properly-ratified international treaties.

EDIT: As for the mystery op-ed piece, I've heard some speculation that it's Pence, because he's one of the few (maybe the only) administration officials to use the term "lodestar".

I don't blame Obama for that. You can very readily order someone dead when they are killing their own people. Your word should never be that ironclad. As much as people love these idiotic words like honor and loyalty (to one's word or some such), I would rather a Democratic President not be totally beholden to them.

Keeping to your word is meaningless in the face of immediate imperatives such as preventing Gaddafi from going on with his massacres.

Silly liberal, you should blame Obama for everything!

Stub your toe? Obama did it!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2506 on: September 06, 2018, 10:26:25 am »
If Pence did pen that article, he's setting himself up for failure.  Nobody likes Pence in political circles.  He doesn't win elections on a national scale.  Only reason Trump was forced to pick him as VP was because the GOP told him too.

Ironbite-well...that and Manafort.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2507 on: September 06, 2018, 01:01:02 pm »
Yah but Pence has said that he believes God talks to him and has chosen him to be the president of USA.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2508 on: September 09, 2018, 02:55:55 am »
https://youtu.be/EcZit3Ye6Lk?t=11

So Vice put together a compilation of every successful US Supreme Court nominee from O'Connor on being asked about their views on abortion. (They did not include Rehnquist's hearings for his appointment as Chief Justice, though this may perhaps have been because he had already written in Roe and Doe in dissent; the full list is O'Connor, Scalia, Kennedy, Souter, Thomas, Ginsburg, Breyer, Roberts--directly as Chief Justice, Alito, Sotomayor, Kagan, and Gorsuch.)

It's interesting how the further left the justice is (let's not pretend that any of these people are non-ideological and actually just "calling balls and strikes") the more honest they are in answering the question.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #2509 on: September 25, 2018, 03:50:52 pm »
Trump gave a big speech to the United Nations saying that he's done more in 2 years then any other president in history.\

The seasoned and serious diplomats who understand English laughed.  Then a second later as the translators caught up, everyone else laughed as well.  Trump would shrug it off because he thought they were laughing at a joke he somehow told but I don't think it's gonna be that easy to swallow down as people think.

Ironbite-god Thursday's gonna be fun.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #2510 on: September 25, 2018, 05:02:06 pm »
He's such a narcissistic immodest shithead. After his time in office I assure you in his first interview he has he'll say he was probably the greatest President America has ever seen.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2511 on: September 25, 2018, 05:36:46 pm »
If Trump gets impeached and actually convicted by the Senate, he'll be whining about how all the Republicans who voted to remove him from office are actually secret Democrats.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #2512 on: September 25, 2018, 07:04:43 pm »
Or that as Republicans their loyalty should be to him first and the country second, or even that he IS the country and by impeaching him they're betraying America.

Not too far off from everything else he's been saying.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #2513 on: September 25, 2018, 07:09:46 pm »
What's better is that his supporters will believe that they are secret democrats, just like Mueller and Rosenstein are democrats despite being lifelong republicans. That's largely because to authoritarian followers there is no difference between their nation and their leader.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2514 on: September 26, 2018, 08:08:04 am »
His fans on Reddit are busy trying to claim that the UN laughed WITH the president, not AT him.

They use that translation gap to claim that they instead laughed at his reply.

Also saw someone claim that there can be no translation gap because UN diplomats are highly trained and all have "Ivy league" education in USA.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #2515 on: September 26, 2018, 11:42:12 am »
If they laughed with him than what exactly was the joke? That he accomplished more than any other president ever? Because Trump has said this to thunderous applause at his rallies. Was he joking then as well?
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2516 on: September 26, 2018, 03:12:15 pm »
Like I said, they built their weak defense on the delay in the laughter. Saying that when Trump replied with "I didn't expect that response" to the initial laughter it was the funniest joke the UN diplomats and politicians had ever heard.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2517 on: September 26, 2018, 03:14:46 pm »
I imagine Trump honestly didn't expect laughter.

As for the delay, do these people honestly not know what an interpreter is?

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2518 on: September 26, 2018, 03:17:49 pm »
Like I said, they claim that it is impossible that foreign diplomats wouldn't speak English because "everyone needs to speak English when dealing with foreigners and they've likely got Ivy league education."

...Because USA has the only universities I guess?

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #2519 on: September 26, 2018, 03:58:35 pm »
Yeah Oxford?  What the hell is that?