Author Topic: 2014 FIFA World Cup thread  (Read 18769 times)

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
Re: 2014 FIFA World Cup thread
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2014, 03:48:45 pm »
And next on "Coultergeist: The Series":

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/06/26/ann-coulter-soccer-column/11394947/

Soccer is destroying the USA. So says conservative syndicated columnist Ann Coulter.

Now I'm torn. On the one hand, I'm no great sports fan myself; I think our culture's worship of athletes goes beyond any sort of pale. I played soccer for a few years in school and found the entire sports experience toxic; for all the talk of teamwork and everyone pulling together, I was the team punching bag, blamed for any losses even if I had performed perfectly.

On the other hand, I'm tempted to start watching soccer on the general principle that if Ann Coulter hates something, it's got to have some redeeming value.

It's a beautiful example of choosing something to dislike, making up a reason, and then reciting random things about it as though they were justifications, half of which aren't even true.

"Soccer doesn't reward individual accomplishment!" The fuck is this, then: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_Ballon_d%27Or

"Soccer is not a serious sport because it's co-ed!" Must be a huge coincidence all 736 players in the world cup are men. What are the odds!?*

"There's no risk of humiliation or injury!" I guess all those times players were carried out in stretchers were just naps.

Someone should let her know that it's OK to just not like something. Really! You don't have to make up reasons why it's against everything the country stands for, you can just say "meh, I don't like it" and be done with it.

*Because I'm me, I did the math. It comes to around 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000003%
Σא

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2014, 03:54:32 pm »
"Soccer is not a serious sport because it's co-ed!" Must be a huge coincidence all 736 players in the world cup are men. What are the odds!?*

The most hilarious part of this is that FIFA has actually banned one of the best players in the world from practicing or playing with men's teams and has regularly insisted that the men's and women's games be kept strictly separate at just about all levels (and countries like West Germany and Brazil, now some of the best in the women's game--Germany is the successor of West Germany--once banned the women's game altogether), while, as noted on this very board, a number of women have played American football at the collegiate level.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
  • Repentant sinner, unrepentant knowledge junkie
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2014, 04:35:59 pm »
I agree that Ann Coulter should have really kept her mouth about this "Soccer is not 'murican" drivel, but then again, why should I be so surprised that she put her foot in her mouth yet again?

The United States has participated in every FIFA men's soccer qualification tournament since its inaugural tournament in 1930.  You know, the time of our great-grandfathers, Ann?  By the way, we do have soldiers like myself who are interested in the World Cup tournament.  I have been able to carry on a conversation about the World Cup with fellow soldiers in my unit.

I would also like to say that the United States also has a great women's national soccer team.  We have won 2 trophies in the six FIFA women's World Cup tournaments that have taken place.  It could have been three, but we lost to a shoot-out heartbreaker with Japan in 2011.  Hopefully, if nothing else is going on, I can actually go to Canada and watch the games there.  That would be awesome.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 07:44:57 pm by Kat S. »

Art Vandelay

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2014, 07:38:44 pm »

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2014, 01:36:59 am »
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/brazil2014/brazilian-trades-in-1950-world-cup-ticket-for-2014-final-1.2689868

Long story short: A guy missed the Brazil-Uruguay game in the 1950 World Cup to care for his mother (who died a few days later). This year he contacted FIFA, asking if they had a use for the ticket he still had. They exchanged it for three tickets to this year's final and will put the 1950 ticket in a museum.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2014, 02:22:56 am »
That's one of those sort of things that would wind up on the Crowning Moment of Heartwarming page on TV Tropes.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2014, 03:39:59 pm »
So close, Chile. So, so close.
Σא

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2014, 06:59:23 pm »
Nobody's posted this here yet, so here's John Oliver on why he shouldn't--but will--watch the World Cup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJEt2KU33I

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2014, 08:45:25 pm »
So close, Chile. So, so close.

So many blown opportunities you mean.  They had all the chances in the world and the fact it came down to one PK difference is telling.

Ironbite-also the refs were clearly after Brazil today.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2014, 10:45:57 pm »

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2014, 02:06:00 pm »
I've enjoyed watching Brazil vs. Chile and Colombia vs. Uruguay. There's a intensity and excitement to these teams' play that makes European football look just dull.

Also, very funny pic.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2014, 08:40:17 pm »
2!  2 games that go to PKs!

Ironbite-love it!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2014, 01:37:09 am »

Soccer stars as kids. I'm highly amused that Suarez's smile is the toothiest.

EDIT: Just read through it.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 01:46:14 am by dpareja »

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2014, 02:13:26 am »

That boy's name? Albert Einstein.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2014, 05:04:22 pm »
I don't know if I can take another 45 minutes of this.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!