Author Topic: Prayer death decision upheld  (Read 2728 times)

wrightway

Prayer death decision upheld
« on: July 03, 2013, 05:17:43 pm »
http://news.yahoo.com/court-upholds-parents-convictions-prayer-death-123307685.html

A mother and father who prayed instead of seeking medical help as their daughter died were properly convicted of homicide, the Wisconsin Supreme Court ruled Wednesday in a decision that dramatically limits legal immunity for parents who turn to God rather than science to heal their children.

The decision marks the first time a Wisconsin court has addressed criminal culpability in a prayer treatment case where a child died. The court ruled 6-1 that the state's immunity provisions for prayer treatment parents protect them from child abuse charges but nothing else, opening the door to a host of other counts.

Honestly, I wonder if there should be any exemption. Especially for parents who were afraid pedialyte would detract from god's glory.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
Re: Prayer death decision upheld
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 05:50:50 pm »
Woo! Wait, no, this is a ruling against woo. Hooray! Seriously, this is a kneecapping of faith healers.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 05:54:39 pm »
fuck yeah!
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 08:05:22 pm »
Yeah, that decision keeps future fundie psychos from getting away with killing their kids during demon exorcism...with a knife. Which has happened a few too fucking many times of late. 'Cause exorcism is faith healing, too.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 08:33:37 pm »
To be honest I know fundies who hate these types of fundies, and have even come up with jokes mocking the idea of leaving everything purely to faith.

(click to show/hide)
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 08:34:57 pm »
To be honest I know fundies who hate these types of fundies, and have even come up with jokes mocking the idea of leaving everything purely to faith.

(click to show/hide)
Huh. That was actually pretty funny.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 08:36:30 pm »
I know, right? :D
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 10:13:18 pm »
Thank fudge. I really wonder if you have to be mentally ill to believe a god is going to resurrect your dead child. And to believe that giving your child certain substances would "take the glory away from God."
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 10:36:31 pm »
Yay.  Hopefully this will make people think twice about not bringing their kids to get proper medical attention.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline MadmanJohnson

• Wrath of Primus
  • Pope
  • Able to creep out Deimos.
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 10:44:42 pm »
YAY!Well, We're happy again.
Before you die an agonizing, chainsaw-related death, you're gonna hear about the Hate Plague!
I'm accusing you of being stupid.
I dare to be stupid.

wrightway

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 10:47:09 pm »
Yeah, that decision keeps future fundie psychos from getting away with killing their kids during demon exorcism...with a knife. Which has happened a few too fucking many times of late. 'Cause exorcism is faith healing, too.

I'm afraid to ask, but how many exorcisms are done on average?

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 10:47:34 pm »
Thank fudge. I really wonder if you have to be mentally ill to believe a god is going to resurrect your dead child. And to believe that giving your child certain substances would "take the glory away from God."

I don't think it even makes sense based on standard Christian theology, didn't God create the chemicals in the medicines?
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 10:51:21 pm »
I'm just going leave this here:

My mother is a biblical literalist and believes every scripture of the Bible as god's word and there was even a Bible study conducted in my home today, and even she thinks this sort of stuff is bullshit.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 12:45:12 am »

(click to show/hide)
The version of that tale I'm familiar with is called "Two Boats and a Helicopter".  Other than that, the message is exactly the same.  One of my faves.

Who is to say that there HAS to be a giant hand coming down and plucking you from whatever predicament you're in?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 12:46:49 am by SpaceProg »

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 12:54:13 am »

(click to show/hide)
The version of that tale I'm familiar with is called "Two Boats and a Helicopter".  Other than that, the message is exactly the same.  One of my faves.

Who is to say that there HAS to be a giant hand coming down and plucking you from whatever predicament you're in?

The same people who want God to stomp on the people they don't like a la Monty Python.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.