Author Topic: Missouri's goin' for it!  (Read 7388 times)

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
Missouri's goin' for it!
« on: January 15, 2012, 12:27:11 am »
http://ncse.com/news/2012/01/intelligent-design-bill-missouri-007092

House Bill 1227, introduced in the Missouri House of Representatives on January 10, 2012, would, if enacted, require "the equal treatment of science instruction regarding evolution and intelligent design," according to the legislature's summary of the bill. The equal treatment provision would apply to both public elementary and secondary schools and to "any introductory science course taught at any public institution of higher education" in Missouri.

Shit, it's moving north.
In a way I kinda hope it does pass and that the state gets flooded with demands for tons of other creation ideas to be crammed in till nothing gets taught. But i know that'll never happen...so maybe just a smack upside the politicians' heads with a 2x4
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
Re: Missouri's goin' for it!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 12:37:20 am »
As a comedian (can't remember which one) said: Teaching creationism alongside evolution is like teaching the stork theory alongside sex ed.

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
  • (Haseen on the old board)
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 05:01:16 am »
While we're at it, science should give equal treatment to the Thor's Hammer theory of thunder and the God Peeing theory of rain.  Not to mention, the Monster-Eating-the-Sun theory of solar eclipses, because we're hosed if we don't bang on pots and pans during the next eclipse and the monster doesn't spit the sun back out!

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 05:25:55 am »
Tell the kids to get their notebooks out, that's a lot to remember!

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 08:46:58 am »
I'm from Missouri- didn't even know this.  Anyways, I say let them do it...Teaching this shit for the reasons they do always fails.  Kids will still have sex, be little ingrates, and loathe church. 

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 10:00:09 am »
Someone else said, "Why does chemistry get favored?  We should teach alchemy alongside it."

Offline Vene

• AKA Vene-Eye the Science Guy
  • Pope
  • Patronizing Know-It-All Snotnose
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 11:22:30 am »
While we're at it, science should give equal treatment to the Thor's Hammer theory of thunder and the God Peeing theory of rain.  Not to mention, the Monster-Eating-the-Sun theory of solar eclipses, because we're hosed if we don't bang on pots and pans during the next eclipse and the monster doesn't spit the sun back out!
Sure, I'll give them equal treatment. Put up or shut up. No myth has stood up the the theory of evolution, and I'm willing to bet no myth ever will. If the theory of evolution is ever disproven, it will be because of the hard work of scientists using empiricism and not by the whinging of religious fundamentalists.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 03:34:50 pm »
Hey, why stop at evolution/intelligent design? There are plenty of “controversies” to teach. Stork versus Cabbage Patch versus Sex! Thor versus Zeus versus Electrical Discharge! Electronics versus Magic Smoke! I think this bill needs some serious expansion.
-A Pen Name

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 03:53:40 pm »
I posit the theory that technology is actually magic.

This must now be taught alongside any book on any technology.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 04:05:32 pm »
Aliens built the pyramids.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 04:34:18 pm »
To quote Lewis Black; "There are people who believe that humans dinosaurs co-existed, that they roamed the Earth at the same time. There are museums that children go to, in which they build dioramas to show them this. And what this is, purely and simply, is a clinical psychotic reaction. They are crazy. They are stone-cold-fuck nuts. I can't be kind about this, because these people are watching The Flinstones as if it were a documentary."

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 04:45:09 pm »
How do you teach creationism?  "Goddidit" is one word, right?  Where do you go from there?
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 05:12:25 pm »
The only way I could see this as a good thing is if they taught each one without bias.  I bet most, if not all, the kids would realize how silly and dumb creationism really is.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 06:32:17 pm »
The only way I could see this as a good thing is if they taught each one without bias.  I bet most, if not all, the kids would realize how silly and dumb creationism really is.

I seriously doubt that.  Most of these "heartland" kids have been raised in Christian homes and go to church each and every Sunday.  They are not unfamiliar with the creation story of the Bible and therefore most would accept without exception that creationism is true.  A few may see through the bullshit, but I think you well overestimate the number of students that would see evolution as more fitting the evidence.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 06:40:45 pm »

You can't really do that when you don't know what the ToE even entails.  This "controversy" has gone on for a few generations, so a lot of the teachers don't even know what they're teaching.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!