Author Topic: The Way We Never Were - by Stephanie Coontz  (Read 4746 times)

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
The Way We Never Were - by Stephanie Coontz
« on: January 17, 2012, 08:00:34 am »
I read this amazing book a couple years ago and I'd love to read it again. Basically, it explains why the myths that the 50s and before were so great are bullshit. It really needs to be read by more fundies and politicians who believe the "traditional 50s" was the height of mortality. Men felt tremendous pressure to provide for the family's every need, and women were closeted alcoholics because they couldn't stand staying home and cleaning day after day.

Any RR lurkers out there? Read this book, please!

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
Re: The Way We Never Were - by Stephanie Coontz
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 08:54:31 am »
Whya re you surprised about this?  The 1950's (come to that, the 1960's as well) were far from a glorious time - there was the Korean War, Indo-China, the Suez Crisis and a host of others, not least is the Malayan Emergency that lasts for about 10 years!  Hardly a golden time for those being killed or coming back maimed.  While people may have "Never had it so good", there was a lot that needed to change and sadly wouldn't for a long time.
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline lighthorseman

• Argumentative Contrarian
  • On Probation
  • Bishop
  • Proud Y chromosome owner
    • Company of the Wolf
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 09:20:19 am »
weren't people still getting lynched fairly regularly?
Let me make it real easy... if anyone is interested in my actual opinion, please ask, I'd love to talk to you. If you are interested in trying to catch me out in some sort of "gotcha, before you said 'many', but now you're saying 'lots', you totally shifted goal posts", then, I'm not playing.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 12:28:04 pm »
Yeah, I've always found the myth that the 50's were so great to be a little bit of bullshit. Time has a funny way of fuzzing memories so you tend to remember the good times. The key is to remember Leavit to Beaver and the Andy Griffith Show were not documentaries.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 12:38:48 pm »
I think its a generational thing where the older people (60+) look at the younger generation (16-25) and wonder "what the hell is wrong with them?" The elderly don't understand the new fads and culture of the youth and they fondly remember their culture and era as a "simpler time." Then people are told of this "great era" and begin to long for some unobtainable ideal. I really would not be surprised if those who grew up during the 50's were also at odds with an older generation over something (like race or Rock & Roll) where the older generation fondly remember an earlier time.

Edit for clarity: not ALL old people, but enough of them to spread the BS
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 12:43:43 pm by QueenofHearts »

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 12:48:48 pm »
The 60 plus crowd is also looking back on their childhood from the 50s. I forgot to mention that part. Anyways, a great many people look back on childhood years as innocent, simple times. And why wouldn't they? They weren't worrying about nuclear weapons or loosing the house or any "grown up" stuff. I grew up in the 80s. I wasn't thinking about inflation or rise of cocaine or anything like that. It was a much bigger deal to me that we were out of grape Kool Ade and had to drink Red. Like my kids now aren't too concerned with any of the worries that plague me. Or any of the things that we tend to talk (bitch) about. So maybe once my generation dies off, or starts to, maybe the early 2000s will be what's fondly remembered as the innocent simple times?
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 12:52:11 pm »
Not to mention segregation was around and racism was rampant, but obviously that doesn't matter since it only happened to black people.

In all honesty, I think people look back on the 50s as an idyllic time because they were children then and weren't really aware of world events at that time.

Offline rosenewock21

• The Snuffleupagus of the Satanic Sesame Street
  • God
  • Holder of the sleepy time rag
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 01:02:36 pm »
Depending on what you value, each generation does change drastically from one to the next. To some the previous generations are a group of backwards troglodytes that we cluck our tongues at. To them the new generations are getting progressively worse. Something you couldn't wear in public in your grandmother's day is considered proper apparel for a job interview today.

There may come a time when we fondly recall to a future generation what life was like before widespread use of the internet. How excited we were when we got our first email address. How people were less likely to fall to group think in 1996 then they are now in the year 2050. What the world was like before we started focusing on the global community over the individual area. We might even, heaven forbid, try to tell them about this innocent little show called "Robot Chicken" and how it was down right modest compared to the trash they watch.
Matthew 22:39 "And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." God's own "don't be a dick" rule.

Lithp and Vene really need to have some kind of confusing sexual encounter where Vene spends the entire session lovingly insulting Lithp's technique, then cums on his face, ruffles his hair, says, "You're all right, kid!", and then punches him in the nuts.

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 02:15:55 pm »
I think its a generational thing where the older people (60+) look at the younger generation (16-25) and wonder "what the hell is wrong with them?" The elderly don't understand the new fads and culture of the youth and they fondly remember their culture and era as a "simpler time." Then people are told of this "great era" and begin to long for some unobtainable ideal. I really would not be surprised if those who grew up during the 50's were also at odds with an older generation over something (like race or Rock & Roll) where the older generation fondly remember an earlier time.

Edit for clarity: not ALL old people, but enough of them to spread the BS

The Teddy Boys and Rockers of the 1950's probably had people in their 60's looking at them wondering what the hell was wrong with them as well.
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline Jodie

• Cyborg Wannabe
  • Pope
  • WTF???
    • Doodles and stuff
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 02:18:39 pm »
Prozac was invented for the housewives of the 50s. That should tell you everything.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Corinthians 13: 4-7

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 03:43:30 pm »
On the other hand, the 50s were objectively the best years for the average American. Sure, African-Americans, gays and women didn't get included, but if you were a white middle-income earner, it has never been as good, before or since.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
  • We Have Such Sights To Show You.
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 04:03:37 pm »
The 50s WERE great.....if you were upper middle class or better, white, educated, and healthy. If you were missing any of those things, then the 50s tended to suck like a Belgian hooker the day before the rent is due.
"In case you're interested, there's still some positions available for that bonus opportunity I mentioned earlier. Again: all you gotta do is let
us disassemble you. We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together. So that's a complete reassembly. New vitals. Spit-shine on the old ones. Plus we're scooping out tumors. Frankly, you oughtta be paying us." -Cave Johnson

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 04:50:45 pm »
No, the 50s were good for the working class, too. Almost no unemployment, rapid income growth in line with GDP growth, improvements in living standards, rapidly declining private debt, improving education, social welfare and the least economic inequality America has ever had.

It sucked if you were weren't male and white. But America has never been as good for the working poor.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline D Laurier

• Bishop
  • Never trust a white man with power.
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 07:04:42 pm »
This "in my day everything was perfect" nonsense predated the 20th century.
I've no doubt that Thutmose the great had an old advisor who rambled about how "life was so much better before these lyre playing, chariot riding, hooligans with their fancy imported Minoan shawls started acting all outlandish and such."
Cable (or satelite) TV is like paying someone to projectile poop all over your brain.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 07:23:12 pm »
This "in my day everything was perfect" nonsense predated the 20th century.
I've no doubt that Thutmose the great had an old advisor who rambled about how "life was so much better before these lyre playing, chariot riding, hooligans with their fancy imported Minoan shawls started acting all outlandish and such."

Not too long ago, I was scanning through a book which archived letters to the editor from the Globe and Mail (I think it was called "Shocked and Appalled"), dating back to the late 19th century. Needless to say, there were quite a few from the 50s and earlier bitching about how things were so much better in the old days, and the whole world was going to hell in a hand-basket.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)