Author Topic: Best Political Cartoons  (Read 1599818 times)

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
Re: Best Political Cartoons
« Reply #5940 on: October 05, 2018, 10:12:22 pm »
Well, yeah males can be victims of sexual assault too. Still, it doesn't piss me off. Guess I don't take it personally.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5941 on: October 11, 2018, 02:24:55 am »
Did davedan post this one already? Because it's another glorious, glorious Garrison.

Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5942 on: October 11, 2018, 09:39:41 am »
I love how Garrison makes Drumpf look like a miniboss from a Yakuza game.  Ya know, the kinda guy that either gets beaten into mulch by Kiryu or cut into pieces by Majima before we figure out who the big bad guy is.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #5943 on: October 15, 2018, 05:56:23 pm »
The thing about Garrison is that he can be relied upon to parrot current right wing talking points, in this one that the US is not a democracy but a Republic, and that democracy itself is bad:

(click to show/hide)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5944 on: October 15, 2018, 07:23:25 pm »
I have to wonder if these people who parrot the "republic not a democracy" talking point actually know the context.

Way way back in the late 18th century, "democracy" meant "direct democracy" (think ancient Athens) and "republic" meant "representative democracy" (think all democratic countries today--Switzerland's probably the closest to a direct democracy, but there are important checks on the power of the voters as a legislative body). Athenian democracy was essentially mob rule, and Madison et al were desperate to avoid that (see, for instance, Federalist No. 55). Hence they set up a republic (ie a representative democracy) specifically to hold the power of the mob in check. (Hence why the President is elected indirectly and the Senate was initially also elected indirectly.)

So technically the people who say "republic not a democracy" are right, if you're 225 years behind in your definitions.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5945 on: October 16, 2018, 01:15:12 am »
Republic just means that it's not ruled by a king.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #5946 on: October 16, 2018, 02:03:22 am »
I have to wonder if these people who parrot the "republic not a democracy" talking point actually know the context.

Way way back in the late 18th century, "democracy" meant "direct democracy" (think ancient Athens) and "republic" meant "representative democracy" (think all democratic countries today--Switzerland's probably the closest to a direct democracy, but there are important checks on the power of the voters as a legislative body). Athenian democracy was essentially mob rule, and Madison et al were desperate to avoid that (see, for instance, Federalist No. 55). Hence they set up a republic (ie a representative democracy) specifically to hold the power of the mob in check. (Hence why the President is elected indirectly and the Senate was initially also elected indirectly.)

So technically the people who say "republic not a democracy" are right, if you're 225 years behind in your definitions.

These are the same people who say shit like "the KKK was founded by Democrats!". It's convenient for them to pretend that politics and political definitions haven't changed in hundreds of years because it does things like make dumbshit undecided voters think that the Democrats are the racists, even though the modern Klan and neo-NAZIs didn't vote for Clinton. They rely on people being lazy and not wanting to do their own research, even though it takes less research and more extremely basic reasoning starting with how the fucking Klan and neo-NAZIs don't vote for Democrats.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 02:14:21 am by Cloud3514 »
Who needs a signature?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5947 on: October 16, 2018, 02:07:34 am »
Republic just means that it's not ruled by a king.

I know that, I'm pointing out what it meant way back then when most countries were monarchies.

It is a case of denying definitional shift, as Cloud noted.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #5948 on: October 17, 2018, 11:23:26 pm »
I should probably start a thread just for Garrison, but after this one I promise, I will post someone else next. The funny thing is it seems to accept that Trump slept with her. Why else is he holding a carrot?

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #5949 on: October 18, 2018, 12:44:11 am »
I don't even know what point he's trying to make here.  Stormy Daniels is too ugly for Trump to have slept with?

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #5950 on: October 18, 2018, 01:15:06 am »
I think its more than Stormy fucked him for the carrot.

This is one of those cartoons which is quite sharp but the drawing is fucking abysmal:

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #5951 on: October 18, 2018, 01:22:07 am »
That horrifying Stormy-Horsewoman reminded me of Ludwig the Accursed from Bloodborne. Oh those fun noises return to me.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #5952 on: October 18, 2018, 01:59:17 am »
Donald Trump called Stormy Daniels a horse face. Which is why she looks like horse.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #5953 on: October 18, 2018, 02:26:42 am »
Does not change the fact that illustration is witheringly horrifying. WTF Garrison?
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #5954 on: October 21, 2018, 05:47:29 pm »