Author Topic: Random question about Puerto Rico  (Read 7769 times)

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
Random question about Puerto Rico
« on: March 28, 2012, 11:06:24 pm »
Think they should become a state? Island itself is pretty evenly split on it/.  I think yes since it would IMO greatly benefit the country to have a second language

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
Re: Random question about Puerto Rico
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 12:44:55 am »
The country has as many languages as it has nationalities. English, Hispanic, French, German, Russian, Ukrainian, Italian and so on. It's one of the great things about not having an official language.

As for whether or not Puerto Rico being a state? I'd like to see them gain statehood, along with D.C., Guam, the Virgin Islands and American Samoa.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 12:50:26 am »
It would be interesting to see Puerto Rico as a state. I remember Santorum said they must change their language, which is utter nonsense because we've got no official language.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 01:08:41 am »
English is the de facto language of communications in the United States, but gye is correct in that it is not "official."

Personally I would like to see English and Spanish as official languages, only for the possibility  that the numerous Native American languages can be recognized minority languages and efforts to preserve them can be made accordingly.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 01:10:28 am »
Somewhat off topic, but I've always found it odd that American maps never include its organized territories.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 01:11:12 am »
Somewhat off topic, but I've always found it odd that American maps never include its organized territories.

I've seen Puerto Rico included a lot, but never our other territories. ???
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 01:18:34 am »
I have to admit, the prospect of being alive when the USA becomes more than 50 states is actually kinda exciting.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 02:52:12 am »
I would imagine there were be a lot of difficulties though. What if a significant minority don't want statehood? Hypothetically, if 45% reject statehood, then what? I'm very curious to see how this all turns out.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

QueenofHearts

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 04:28:23 am »
I would imagine there were be a lot of difficulties though. What if a significant minority don't want statehood? Hypothetically, if 45% reject statehood, then what? I'm very curious to see how this all turns out.

I don't see it becoming a state for the same reason as DC; partisan politics in Washington. If I recall, Puerto Rico is fairly liberal and the House would never vote to allow three more democrats into the House and Senate.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 04:55:15 am »
I would rather not let it become a tyranny of the majority situation.

If a significant minority does not wish to join, then they shouldn't join.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Distind

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 06:29:39 am »
Given they vote on it every couple a years, and I believe the US is bound to let them in if they ever approve the measure themselves, it could happen. Don't know if the other territories have the same arrangement or not though.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 07:44:09 am »
I do wonder if it will force schools universally to teach spanish in elementry

Offline Qlockworkcanary

• Bishop
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 08:31:21 am »
I wish they offered foreign language options much earlier and in more schools, especially Spanish and French. Studies have shown that the earlier one learns a foreign language, the easier it is. In my rural-as-hell school didn't offer any until Junior High. It's quite embarrassing that most other countries learn at least a couple of languages, where here, if one suggests teaching/learning another language Tea Partiers somehow translate that in their brains to mean we want to get rid of English.
"Out of the ash I rise with my red hair and eat men like air." - Sylvia Plath

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 08:47:22 am »
I wish they offered foreign language options much earlier and in more schools, especially Spanish and French. Studies have shown that the earlier one learns a foreign language, the easier it is. In my rural-as-hell school didn't offer any until Junior High. It's quite embarrassing that most other countries learn at least a couple of languages, where here, if one suggests teaching/learning another language Tea Partiers somehow translate that in their brains to mean we want to get rid of English.
same with mine and I am in college and barely passing the most basic of spanish classes

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 09:26:28 am »

I'm jealous you got it that early. We don't have the option until highschool, and barely then. Our only foreign language class is Spanish, and it's more culture than language.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov