Author Topic: Arizona to outlaw the First Amendment  (Read 4058 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Arizona to outlaw the First Amendment
« on: April 02, 2012, 10:17:45 pm »
NO, I'm not kidding

cruising through the Legislature that, according to some critics, could cause people like myself and this blog's commenters to be thrown in jail for generally being jackasses on the Internet.

We understand that there's probably a healthy amount of people who wouldn't be entirely opposed to the above-mentioned situation, but critics to House Bill 2549 say this legislation could have some pretty broad effects.

According to a Senate fact sheet, HB 2549 "[p]rohibits using any electronic or digital device, instead of a telephone, with the intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend a person."

The Senate approved this one 30 to zip last week, but more critics are coming out of the woodwork to point out some problems the bill could cause.

The Media Coalition is labeling the legislation as a "bill to censor electronic speech," saying, "...H.B. 2549 would apply to the Internet as a whole, thus criminalizing all manner of writing, cartoons, and other protected material the state finds offensive or annoying."

Yeah because trying to police the entire internet, which this bill tries to do, is going to work.  But let's also make sure we violate the First Amendment while we're at it.

Ironbite-Just...how stupid are they?

Cloudy

Re: Arizona to outlaw the First Amendment
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 10:23:04 pm »
According to a Senate fact sheet, HB 2549 "[p]rohibits using any electronic or digital device, instead of a telephone, with the intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend a person."

And how the hell to do you determine what someone's intent was?

Offline TPFKADF

• Neonate
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 10:27:35 pm »
What is going on with Arizona these days? Is it something in the water or what?  ???

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 10:30:08 pm »
According to a Senate fact sheet, HB 2549 "[p]rohibits using any electronic or digital device, instead of a telephone, with the intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, [...]
So far so good. There are already laws against threatening and harassing people, which don't violate the 1st ammendment.

[...] annoy or offend a person."
Now they're just being stupid.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 10:55:42 pm »
Someone needs to send a bill whenever a state passes laws this incredibly stupid. The first amendment doesn't stop being relevant just because it goes digital.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 10:59:07 pm »
So all you have to say is someone annoyed you and they get arrested? I bet they want the other states and other countries to extradite the "criminals". You know what, fuck the Arizona legislature. Fuck them with a razorblade and sandpaper coated dildo attached to a motherfucking power drill!

Anyone else want to put on your troll face and start a mass campaign to annoy and offend all responsible members of the Arizona Legislature?
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 11:06:57 pm »
New law: Any politician that votes in favor of legislation that is later found unconstitutional is fired from their position and forbidden to ever work for the federal government again.

Offline Iczerfour

• Spawn of Pinkamena and Flutterbat
  • Pope
  • Now won't you stop moving, interrupting's not nice
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 11:12:07 pm »
 *Snaps*  i say we just build a giant Quarantine wall then find out where the stupid is coming from..  I'm getting sick of the amount of stupid coming from Arizona..  FUCK ARIZONA! FUCK THEM ALL WITH AN RUSTY NAIL COVERED DILDO!

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 11:56:00 pm »
I say we let the fuckers secede so that the rest of the nation doesn't have to put up with their bullcrap.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 12:27:44 am »
NO, I'm not kidding

cruising through the Legislature that, according to some critics, could cause people like myself and this blog's commenters to be thrown in jail for generally being jackasses on the Internet.

We understand that there's probably a healthy amount of people who wouldn't be entirely opposed to the above-mentioned situation, but critics to House Bill 2549 say this legislation could have some pretty broad effects.

The Senate approved this one 30 to zip last week, but more critics are coming out of the woodwork to point out some problems the bill could cause.

The Media Coalition is labeling the legislation as a "bill to censor electronic speech," saying, "...H.B. 2549 would apply to the Internet as a whole, thus criminalizing all manner of writing, cartoons, and other protected material the state finds offensive or annoying."

Yeah because trying to police the entire internet, which this bill tries to do, is going to work.  But let's also make sure we violate the First Amendment while we're at it.

Ironbite-Just...how stupid are they?

Well, I know this is probably a rhetorical question, but let me answer it in a two three word sentence.

It's fucking Arizona.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 12:32:12 am »
I say we let the fuckers secede so that the rest of the nation doesn't have to put up with their bullcrap.
Plus it'll raise the national IQ by a few points too...

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 12:53:39 am »

We have to at least save Spoony and his brother!  Oh, and Oreo!
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 01:19:57 am »
I second the motion for a mass-trolling campaign on Arizona. The thin-skinned legislature has had this coming for a VERY long time...

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 01:41:13 am »
Phoenix International Speedway is a fun track...

Not much of a redeeming factor in present company, I know.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 01:57:01 am »
I would say it's just Jan Brewer, but it looks like the voting was unanimous.  Sure glad I don't live out there...

Oh fuck...Sethisto from Equestria Daily lives in Arizona, I think.  Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck.  Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck.  Fuck you, Arizona.  Stop empowering trolls and haters.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.