Author Topic: Too much is too much.  (Read 1542 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Too much is too much.
« on: September 08, 2012, 01:52:31 pm »
I think I've exceeded my yearly dose of: cosplayers, furries, bronies, anime, manhwa, yaoi and all types of loud-cheerful-teenagers. This does not mean that I hate those things, but like the title says: too much is too much.

And I only went to the anime/scificonvention to hear Sandy Petersen talk about Cthulhu and horror in role playing in general.

Unfortunately I have to go back tomorrow for my own panel. (Sword fighting IN SPACE!)

On the positive side:

+Sandy Petersen is awesome.
+Some of the cosplayers really do have nice asses costumes.
+Derpy hooves costume was cute.
+Dr who seems to be popular so I still have some faith in Finlands' teens.
+The Romantically apocalyptic duo had awesome costumes. (And it is nice to see that people cosplay more than just the top10 most popular animes.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
Re: Too much is too much.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 08:42:07 pm »
You're on a panel on sword fighting in space? I need more details.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 10:41:43 pm »
First convention, I take it?
Who needs a signature?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 01:38:35 am »
No I've been to conventions before. I have already been to one convention this year, but that one was a scifi convention, so there were much less anime cosplayers. (I was in a panel talking about realistic armour vs fantasy armour. Particularly female armour.)

The panel idea for this convention came from the fact that we wanted to talk about something that has to be far away from the actual topic of the convention. Besides there are actual justifications for using swords while fighting in space ships.

a) Even in this time and age military units practice close quarters combat. Despite all the firepower we have it is sometimes necessary.

b) Being trained in CQC adds certain psychological bonuses: Soldiers aren't afraid to get close to their enemies (good in urban combat and better aboard a ship/spaceship)
which means that they are much more agressive and more likely to advance and move. (which means that they are more likely to stay alive as well.)

c) Fighting in zero gravity gets really REALLY weird. Unless I myself am anchored to something I am just pushing myself away and spinning into something. Unless the opponent is anchored to something (grabbing his clothes will suffice) punches will merely push him away. Some throws and restraining moves are useless. (but some of them still work.) Therefore knives, rondel type daggers and thrusting swords became useful as they are more likely to be able to pierce the opponent. (Think about two guys jumping off the walls of a room trying to pierce the other guy with a fencing sword... )

d) If we add powered armour to the scifi then weigth is less of a problem and lugging a damn huge sword is not such a nuisance. And besides making an armour sword proof is really difficult.

e) Rule of cool. Besides there are a lot of scifi stories/worlds where swords are justified either by some force fields or other tech that makes them a viable weapon or simply by the culture that wants to use swords. 
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!