Author Topic: Republican Doesn't Understand DV  (Read 3887 times)

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
Republican Doesn't Understand DV
« on: February 27, 2013, 03:58:27 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIW5Rtkxlu0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIW5Rtkxlu0</a>

While the federal Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) is still in limbo, another fresh batch of stupidity was cooked up by Rep. Mark Warden (R-NH) who was discussing a proposed bill that would, in some cases, change the penalty for assault from a misdemeanor to a violation-level offense. While discussing the impact this would have on domestic violence cases, Warden declared that "a lot of people like being in abusive relationships." He went on to say that "more government" is not a solution to abusive relationships because people are always "free to leave." This is absolutely breathtaking. A relationship marred by domestic abuse is in no way like mere bickering between a couple. Such a relationship is usually characterized by one partner (usually the male) exerting such control over the other partner that she can no longer have a life of her own. The abuser uses violence, threats of violence and other methods to control his partner, often making her too terrified to attempt leaving the relationship or going to the authorities. Additionally, violence in a relationship often works in a cyclical pattern, in which the abuser is violent and then moves to a "honeymoon phase" wherein the abuser acts kind and caring. The woman then may take this as a sign the abuse is over and recommits to the relationship only for this phase to terminate and violence to begin once again. Adding finances and children to the mix (which is often the case) and things are even more complicated, and it may be even more difficult for a battered partner to leave. This, of course, is radically different from this Teabagger's description of women liking abuse.

And as a final thought, why does it always seem to be Republicans who say batshit things about women?

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
Re: Republican Doesn't Understand DV
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 05:42:55 pm »
I don't even understand how someone could be this blatantly stupid. Who the hell loves getting abused?
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 05:56:13 pm »
I don't even understand how someone could be this blatantly stupid. Who the hell loves getting abused?

Masochists?

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 06:01:05 pm »

Masochists?

I'm pretty sure a fair number of masochists would object to being beaten without consent.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 06:26:23 pm »
I think he doesn't get S&M is about concent

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 06:32:30 pm »
I think he doesn't get S&M is about concent

I don't even think he was referring to S&M.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 06:36:33 pm »
I think he was, but completely misunderstanding it, whether deliberately or otherwise.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 06:37:31 pm »
We are talking about the guy in the video, right?

I haven't actually watched the video yet :X
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 10:48:20 pm »
This guy has to be pretty fucking stupid. Honestly, I would think this to be willful ignorance, were it not for having witnessed stupidity of this caliber regularly.

Also, am I the only one who would like this to be changed from Violence Against Women Act to something to the effect of Violence Against Domestic Partners Act? That way it covers all violence, be it man on woman, woman on man, man on man, woman on woman, married or dating, and anything else I might have forgot.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 12:31:37 am »
But men are never the victims of Domestic Violence.

Ironbite-because they have a penis.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 12:38:43 am »
And it's a fucking weapon.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 06:40:05 am »
This guy has to be pretty fucking stupid. Honestly, I would think this to be willful ignorance, were it not for having witnessed stupidity of this caliber regularly.

Also, am I the only one who would like this to be changed from Violence Against Women Act to something to the effect of Violence Against Domestic Partners Act? That way it covers all violence, be it man on woman, woman on man, man on man, woman on woman, married or dating, and anything else I might have forgot.
Actually men are covered by VAWA. As for same-sex abuse, that's what Republicans are trying to exclude from the bill. It's titled VAWA because the overwhelming amount of DV is inflicted on women.

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 08:05:36 am »

Nope. Part of my paper for my DV class was about how the VAWA is discriminatory towards men in both language and application. One of my recommendations is that all gender-specific language be changed to gender-neutral.

Also, although VAWA does allow funds to be provided to help men, the office that oversees administration does not spend the funds that way. Programs will only be funded if they primarily help women. (So a shelter that takes both men and women would be funded, provided more women than men use the shelter. But a hotline for male victims would not be funded.)

As for the guy in the video, I just don't get it. Really, I don't. How can someone be that stupid? Even before going to law school and taking a class on DV, I knew that it isn't just a matter of "well, she can just leave." (To add to reasons given above, sometimes the victim actually loves their abuser.)
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 08:30:03 am »
Team Rape is at it again.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 09:11:52 am »
Oh god damnit. Why do they go to such shitty reasonings for opposing things sometimes?
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying