Author Topic: US Senate rejects amendment to expand gun-sale checks  (Read 4654 times)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
US Senate rejects amendment to expand gun-sale checks
« on: April 17, 2013, 07:18:40 pm »
Linky

Well, ain't this some shit.

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
Re: US Senate rejects amendment to expand gun-sale checks
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 07:54:59 pm »
Is anyone surprised?
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Saturn500

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 08:16:52 pm »
You know, after the awesomeness of this morning's Nintendo Direct, as well as Agarest: Generations of War, Shovel Knight, and Dreamfall Chapters making it through Steam Greenlight... this is sort of a buzzkill.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 08:18:23 pm »
Welp, so much for preventative measures. Hopefully Congress will eventually realize…I can’t type that seriously. The countdown to the next massacre and reopening of this issue begins now.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 08:19:02 pm »
We have to keep on pluggin' that legislation. Rewrite & reintroduce. Maybe do something sneaky like attach it to another bill.

Offline Blood God Nipso

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 08:58:23 pm »
Guess who's winning the next Senate election in a landslide if they campaign well?

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 09:20:34 pm »
I thought for sure the gunning down of several children would change this society's attitude about unrestricted guns, but I guess not.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 09:23:20 pm »
Motherfucking "Blue Dog" Democrats...

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 10:07:44 pm »
I thought for sure the gunning down of several children would change this society's attitude about unrestricted guns, but I guess not.

It has...but it's the TEAlabanis & Blue Dogs that are the spanner in the works.

Time to yank that spanner out. Vote 'em out in 2014 and yank that darn spanner out!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 12:58:05 am »
90% OF THIS COUNTRY WANTS THIS YOU IDIOTS!  NO BRAINER!  JESUS!

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 01:25:43 am »
In a typical fashion, the moronic dipshits extreme right-wingers on my Facebook are cumming themselves over this decision.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 01:30:30 am »
In a typical fashion, the moronic dipshits extreme right-wingers on my Facebook are cumming themselves over this decision.

Same here.  One of the most common one I've seen is calling people disappointed in the outcome and Obama "spoiled children acting like they didn't get their favorite toy".  Seriously?  We can't even be grownups about THIS?
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 01:34:52 am »

Same here.  One of the most common one I've seen is calling people disappointed in the outcome and Obama "spoiled children acting like they didn't get their favorite toy".  Seriously?  We can't even be grownups about THIS?

I do believe they're looking in an inverse mirror.  That is to say, they're acting like that little braggart kid rubbing a "win" in the face of their enemy they just beat.  You know the kind of kid I'm talking about.  The smug fucknut.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 02:11:06 am »
The Australian ABC reported it like this, which I thought was interesting:

Despite emotional pleas from families of victims of gun violence and broad public support nationwide, the plan to extend background checks to online and gun show sales failed on a 54-46 vote, six votes short of the 60-vote hurdle needed to clear the Senate.

There is no such hurdle in American law. A bill with 50 votes and the VP is, legally and morally, as legitimate as one with 100 senators. The Republicans choose to routinely fillibuster everything, including judicial appointments they support, uncontroversial heads of agencies they don't like and bills backed by 90% of everyone, ever. I think they made it seem like this abuse of the fillibuster is just part of nature, rather than the product of a deeply irresponsible decision by one particular political party (and, of course, the utter disorganisation and cowardice of the other).

I think this is also a good point:

"There are already a number of Democratic Senators complaining about the Republicans' corruption and extremist intransigence. That's fine insofar as it goes, but it's a case of crocodile tears.

There was an opportunity at the beginning the session to change the rules to prevent Republicans from blocking a vote with only 46 Senators, without even needing to hold the floor making speeches to defend standing against 90% of the American public. Senators Reid and Feinstein were among those who refused to make that change.

They knew when they kept the Senate rules as is that this sort of thing would almost certainly happen. And it has.

So no whining. They had an opportunity to fix this, and they didn't."

http://digbysblog.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/dont-whine-sen-feinstein-by-davidoatkins.html

I also think it's appropriate that the NRA greeted the result with a blatant, known falsehood (which I'm not allowed to call a lie for some reason).

"Gun ban amendment fails 40-60! It doesn't even get a simple majority! Victory for gun owners! #NRAStandAndFight"

And the earlier ABC story
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-18/gun-control-snub-a-day-of-shame-for-washington-obama/4636144
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 02:41:30 am »
I know you want to change the rules, Lt. Fred, but that would have broad consequences beyond just this bill.  Shit, it'd probably come to bite the democrats in the ass later down the road.  I dunno.  I just think you're taking the idea of a rule change a little too lightly.